• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling contest #14 - Results!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modeling Contest #14 - Morphing Units
RESULTS

Sorry again about the delay D:

(DonDustin's score / 2) + (Mechanical Man's score / 2) + (votes/(total votes))*50 = (score)

ike_ike's Deep Diver

DonDustin said:
mesh: this model is extremely low poly.508 Faces for 2 meshes is almost nothing. But this model also has some negative points: You spend 2 many polies for the plnae texture, but that was just a minor thing. The biggest issue is that your model is only a bunch of primitives which are not snapped or even welded together. But it was still pretty good
11/15 points

animations: fine use & edits of blizzard´s animations, but walk alternate could have been a bit better
8/10 points

skin: the texture is nice, but it misses some detail/love in my opinion which your concept art had.
8/10 points

mechanics: it works ingame, but it does not have a death sound or a decay/dissipate animation. And because of that the unit won´t be removed from the ground.
2/5 points

effects: does not have a single one
0/5 points

creativity: it reminds me a bit of "Transformers: Beast Wars". And a murloc-->fish was a really nice idea
5/5 points

final score: 34/50 points
Mechanical Man said:
10/15 - Nothing special, quite boxy, well, it seems that is supposed to be some weak unit, so you don't need do much anyway
8/10 - decent animations
6/10 - texture is a bit monotone and it lacks team color
4/5 - I don't see any major flaws in game, morph seems to be without problems
1/5 - I see no effect, at least it could contain some water particles, after all it's diver.
2/5 - It's a murloc like creature, nothing special imo.
Total: 31

(34 / 2) + (31 / 2) + (3/66)*50 = 34.7727273

Mr. Bob's Area-51

DonDustin said:
mesh: first of all: this model has so many unneeded geosets :/
and the face count could have also been much lower aswell. Examples would be the barrels,or the whole ufo which is does not had to be that round.
And another thing is the content inside of the factory. You only see it in the morph animations and should not even exist because of that.
9/15 points

animations: they are simple, but they fit pretty well.
6/10 points

skin: they are well chosen and harmonize aswell.
8/10 points

mechanics: works ingame but it has some big flaw: you forgot to select non-looping for some animations which ends into some strange morph loopings if you dont move your unit after casting the morph spell. And the ufo misses a portrait
1/5 points

effects: the ufo effects are nice, but the ones of the factory could have been a bit better
4/5 points

creativity: I really like your concept. At first it looks like a generic building but THEN: A strong ufo appears.
5/5 points

final score: 33/50 points
Mechanical Man said:
9/15 - it could be improved, still I don't like those thin walls, those barrels could bear more detail etc
5/10 - some animations are pretty bad, ex. building death and morph
6/10 - not so bad texture choice for certain areas, but inside building is horrible
1/5 - this model has flaws and it didn't behave correctly ingame (not serious errors), and Mr.Bob didn't provide me with correct settings (if there are any)
3/5 - meh, not much good effects
3/5 - it would be a good idea, but for a MORPH this isn't, a building appear, disappear from nowhere makes no sense to me

Total: 27

(33 / 2) + (27 / 2) + (3/66)*50 = 32.2727273

Pyramidhe@d's Daft Tank

DonDustin said:
mesh: it has a lot of geosets, but they are all needed because of the disco lightning effects.
And with 1200 faces it has still acceptable poly count, but a very good count if you consider that it is a morphing unit.some parts could have been made with less polies, like those pipes at the lightning machine, but those are just minor things.
14/15 points

animations: they are very well made and are also really creative. But some movement to the Dafters would have it made perfect,but on the other hand it wouldn´t be that noticeable ingame and would have increased the file size
10/10 points

skin: your texture looks really nice, but I think it could have been a bit better at some areas, And I´m sure there would have been a way to merge the 2 textures into 1.
8/10 points

mechanics: works pretty well ingame, but the portrait animation got a small issue and it misses a nice morphing sound
4/5 points

effects: got everything what a real disco needs
5/5 points

creativity. a tribute to a music band as a ntank which transfroms into a happy tripod of mass destruction was more than creative
5/5 points

final score: 46/50 points
Mechanical Man said:
13/15 - Quite good mesh, but some parts seem to be floating
9/10 - animations are good, but certain parts seem to float in air during some animations and you didn't animate the treads D:
9/10 - Decent texture, no team color (even is supposed to)
5/5 - Looks very good ingame
4/5 - nice effects, it could be more of them however
4/5 - nice idea to make stuff from your favourite band in a warcraft model, but since it is less useful even than a batorc, I give you 4/5 :p

Total: 44

(46 / 2) + (44 / 2) + (7/66)*50 = 50.3030303

Thrikodius' Wraith Mage

DonDustin said:
mesh: it has a very good face count. And all of the geosets are needed as they are. But some parts could have been removed, like the back of the skull.
13/15 points

animations: the animations are simple, but they look pretty nice and fit your concept
8/10 points

skin: the textures you chose are good, but could have been better: the grunt skeleton face instead of the normal skeleton or a bit less cartoony texture for the robe.
7/10 points

mechanics: works ingame, but you should have called "Attack Alternate" "Attack Spell Alternate" instead, because whenever you cast a spell it will morph into the normal form for a moment
3/5 points

effects: the effects look nice and fit very very well. + your alternate form is almost a single effect
5/5 points

creativity: the idea was really good. Especially because the alternate form is basicly made of particle emitters.
5/5 points

final score: 41/50 points
Mechanical Man said:
8/15 - Really simple, you seem you wanted to do more about effects, but you didn't really succeed well.
6/10 - nothing special
6/10 - nothing special
2/5 - don't like the effects much
2/5 - the effects looks more like blobs, here could be improved what lacks in geosets, but it isn't really
2/5 - it's a ghost like creature, but not enough features to stand out.

Total: 26

(41 / 2) + (26 / 2) + (1/66)*50 = 34.2575758

General Frank's Bloodelf Decimator

DonDustin said:
mesh: the model had some unneeded geosets as some could have been merged together.And the whole mesh seemed to detailed to me even if it is well made. The 6-sided cylinders could have also been 4-sided or the nuber of gems could have also been reduced.
10/15 points

animations: they are nice, but a bit simple. But the death animation does not seem to fit that well.
7/10 points

skin: they are all well chosen and synergize each other, but you forgot to removed some unused.
9/10 points

mechanics: works without any issue
5/5 points

effects: they are simple, but well done. And you did not only used particles which is a big +
5/5 points

creativity: the idea wasn´t that creative because starcraft already had a similar tank but didn´t we already saw something similar like the other entries in our life??Additionally the conversion from terran to bloodelf has been solved well.
5/5 points

final score: 41/50 points
Mechanical Man said:
11/15 - not that bad mesh, but is quite messy and how to explain what serve certain things etc
9/10 - Don't see any big flaws in the animations, they are quite good merged with effects.
6/10 - Quite messy and they may get a bit repetitive and I don't really like combination of orange-red with azure/radioactive green, yes I know it's a blood elf theme
5/5 - as most of your models, they fit perfectly in warcraft
5/5 - perfect effects
5/5 - interesting idea of some mystical machine for blood elves

Total: 41

(41 / 2) + (41 / 2) + (15/66)*50 = 52.3636364

Anarchianbedlam's Project Odin

DonDustin said:
mesh: the mesh is good, but it could have been optimized at so many places. First of all: Why have you even created that anarchianbedlam text??It take 136 faces for nothing!!
or the fist.It is a good idea, but you could have made it with less detail and it would still have looked good.
9/15 points

animations: the ideas are nice, but some are a bit too simple. The only animations that look really finished to me are the morph and death animations.
8/10 points

skin: the skins fit very well
9/10 points

mechanics: the stand animation has some strange bug.The arms and legs are jerking at the end of the animation. The portrait does not really count as a portrait, as it only shows the feet of your golem. And it was almsot impossible for me to click your model. Oh and the morph animation stopped after a moment and it played the birth animation instead, but I´m not sure if it is your fault.
0/5 points

effects: the effects are great.
5/5

creativity: Golems have already made many times in history but this was the first one for warcraft and was a really good concept
5/5

final score: 36/50 points
Mechanical Man said:
14/15 - Good effort to make such stuff, nice that you added a birth animation too
8/10 - Maybe the morph animation is too long and there walker animations could be improved, but nonetheless is good
9/10 - only thing that bothers me are these chimneys out of stone walls, but at least there is team color
4/5 - too long morph and some walker animations may ruin this model a little
4/5 - good work on especially build/death effects
4/5 - the idea of castle morphing in a mech is at the same time disturbing and creative

Total: 43

(36 / 2) + (43 / 2) + (37/66)*50 = 67.530303

1st - anarchianbedlam
2nd - General Frank
3rd - Pyramidhe@d

Level 26
xD ROFL ya. I noticed that the death was messed up, I didnt set keyframes at the end of the death sequence to KEEP everything underground, that is why everything flies back up. Shamanyouranus pointed out the tiny jerking movement at the end of the stand sequence. I dont know what is causing that yet but ill figure it out. And ya sorry about the portrait thing. I wanted to save kb space by making the stand and stand alternate animations double as portrait animations. and move the camera around. There is actually a field for camera movement in magos. But that plan kind of backfired on me and none of that seemed to work. Sorry about that. I do plan on updating the ODIN to fix all of those very annoying bugs in it. But i didnt want to update it until the contest was over i was'nt sure if i was allowed to update it while judging was going on BUT anyway. Congrats on all the great entries, i loved every morphing unit there was. I know im making more morphing units in the future >:D

Status
Not open for further replies.