• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Tinting Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Could you give me an example of what you're trying to achieve? Maybe I can teach you how to do it.
Armor and Weapon Icons | HIVE
See these different tinted armors and weapons?
I want item attachments, the armor the hero is wearing to be different colours

*Edit* Basically I need to make some variants of a armor model in different tints

Last edited:
Level 11
Got it. Let's mess with Kitabatake's footman armor

1. Use this and export the texture that the model you want to recolor uses.
2. Save it as a .tga file using this.
3. Recolor the texture with your favorite graphic editing software as you like. In this case, I used Gimp's 'colorize' option.
4. Save it and convert it back to .blp with a different name.
5. Change the texture path of the model to the name you used in step 4. this and save it.

I ended slightly recoloring it to green (I know it's not great).

green.jpg

Feel free to ask whatever you want and remember to always give credits to the original authors.

Attachments

• FootmanArmor_v2-green.mdx
    5.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Footman-green.blp
    90.9 KB · Views: 46
Level 13
Got it. Let's mess with Kitabatake's footman armor

1. Use this and export the texture that the model you want to recolor uses.
2. Save it as a .tga file using this.
3. Recolor the texture with your favorite graphic editing software as you like. In this case, I used Gimp's 'colorize' option.
4. Save it and convert it back to .blp with a different name.
5. Change the texture path of the model to the name you used in step 4. this and save it.

I ended slightly recoloring it to green (I know it's not great).

Feel free to ask whatever you want and remember to always give credits to the original authors.
Thanks! :D

Level 29
Geoset color animations allow you to modulate the color of a geoset dynamically based on animated data.
If you have such an animation with the tint color you want, that is always active (e.g. using a global animation), the model will always be tinted.
This requires some fiddling with Magos, but won't need a new texture for every change.

Level 11
Yes, as GhostWolf was saying- you could try and color the geosets directly via geoset animations (vertex coloring).

1. Open your attachment in Magos (War3 Model Editor)

2. Windows > 'Animation Controller' (Select Stand in the drop-down bar)

3. Windows > 'Geoset Animation Manager'

4. If the attachment has a death animation there is likely one or more 'GeosetAnim 0446XXXXX (any number here)' in the window. If not - you have to create your own (right click this window and click 'create new'). Left click this.

5. Under the 'Color' section there is a white box and a '...' button- click on that and choose the color you want the attachment to be tinted.

6. Under the 'Misc' section there is a 'Geoset ID:' field - make sure it's set to any Geoset not previously tinted... the numbers will be random- it'll take a few tries if there are many geosets and a specific part you want to color. **Make sure the 'Use Color' field is checked**

7. Click 'ok' and you should see that the attachment is now tinted (at least whatever geoset that was selected). If there are more geosets repeat steps 4-6 and save the model.

Voilà

Level 13
Yes, as GhostWolf was saying- you could try and color the geosets directly via geoset animations (vertex coloring).

1. Open your attachment in Magos (War3 Model Editor)

2. Windows > 'Animation Controller' (Select Stand in the drop-down bar)

3. Windows > 'Geoset Animation Manager'

4. If the attachment has a death animation there is likely one or more 'GeosetAnim 0446XXXXX (any number here)' in the window. If not - you have to create your own (right click this window and click 'create new'). Left click this.

5. Under the 'Color' section there is a white box and a '...' button- click on that and choose the color you want the attachment to be tinted.

6. Under the 'Misc' section there is a 'Geoset ID:' field - make sure it's set to any Geoset not previously tinted... the numbers will be random- it'll take a few tries if there are many geosets and a specific part you want to color. **Make sure the 'Use Color' field is checked**

7. Click 'ok' and you should see that the attachment is now tinted (at least whatever geoset that was selected). If there are more geosets repeat steps 4-6 and save the model.

Voilà
Tried this, when I picked up the item it crashed the game

Level 11
Capture.JPG

There's your problem, you need a corresponding Geoset for the geoset animation, as I told you, or it'll crash.

Capture1.JPG

There- when you pick the geoset you'll want- you'll be able to see it on the screen in real time after clicking ok if you have it set to view the stand animation

Also I don't know why but the 'Alpha' in the box should be just '1' but I'm not sure if it matters.

Level 13
View attachment 291744

There's your problem, you need a corresponding Geoset for the geoset animation, as I told you, or it'll crash.

View attachment 291745
There- when you pick the geoset you'll want- you'll be able to see it on the screen in real time after clicking ok if you have it set to view the stand animation

Also I don't know why but the 'Alpha' in the box should be just '1' but I'm not sure if it matters.
Works 10/10 thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.