• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mitochondrial Stalker

I didn't make any model lately, so, thought i'd try... i modeled this one in sculptris, and then reduced the polys as much as i could and wrapped it up.

it's inspired by those mutating creatures in the Parasite Eve game, if you played it, you'd know that mitochondria, the cell "powerplants" have gone rogue and cause any living organism to undergo horrific mutation in a few minutes, leaving to you... well, play the game :p

EDIT: decided to remodel and rewrap the legs and body. re-rigged as well, hope now looks ok
EDIT2: tried to minimize that leg-floating glitch, maybe now it performs better

give credit to Misha if you use, and steer clear of any individual named Eve :p

Keywords:
a, custom, parasite, eve, inspired, model, mitochondrial, stalker
Contents

Mitochondrial Stalker (Model)

Reviews
18:18, 6th Apr 2012 DonDustin: you should really improve the wrap. The felhound texture is not that bad after all DonDustin: There is still some funky morphing during the anims and the wrap is still not perfect, but approveable

M

18:18, 6th Apr 2012
DonDustin: you should really improve the wrap. The felhound texture is not that bad after all

DonDustin: There is still some funky morphing during the anims and the wrap is still not perfect, but approveable

This is really cool. Another arachnathid edit, both of them turned out pretty cool looking and with different styles.

You did what you could with the textures you wanted, and I wish I could give you a 4/5, but unfortunately the textures are blurry and I'll have to give it a 3/5.

not that noticeable ingame

i think its chill, testing animations ingame:

the first potential problem I notice is the unit is placed very far above the ground, so high i can actually see it from a scale of the model at .75

the problem is the smaller it gets the higher it somehow seems to appear, especially on intensely inclined terrain. especially during the stand portrait animation. but also in the stand animation as well.

unless this unit is ment to be hovering with 2 legs off the ground on one side at a time each, i dont have much else to say other then it seems to be flying!!! -Spooooooky

aside from that i think the pincers woulda been a cool additon, if only mabe, one pincer uv wraped? loalz.

tails sick. looks mean.

a perfect THING organism for my map.

il give it a 7/10 because the scorpion models pretty hard to work with

i think its chill, testing animations ingame:

the first potential problem I notice is the unit is placed very far above the ground, so high i can actually see it from a scale of the model at .75

the problem is the smaller it gets the higher it somehow seems to appear, especially on intensely inclined terrain. especially during the stand portrait animation. but also in the stand animation as well.

unless this unit is ment to be hovering with 2 legs off the ground on one side at a time each, i dont have much else to say other then it seems to be flying!!! -Spooooooky
Hm.. on which unit you tested it? maybe it doesn't align with the terrain while walking, i used the scarab to test
EDIT: oh crap.. i don't have a clue how to fix that S:
aside from that i think the pincers woulda been a cool additon, if only mabe, one pincer uv wraped? loalz.
was imagined as a horribly mutated being from parasite eve game, so, no pincers :p
tails sick. looks mean.

a perfect THING organism for my map.

il give it a 7/10 because the scorpion models pretty hard to work with
TnQ :]

Level 17
Misha I'm not an expert, but I think using translation keys over rotation keys in this case deforms the mesh far too much (body and tail - stand anim; head - walk anim). Translation is fine for soft or fluid materials, but not things with bones or carapace.

That said, I actually like the animations a lot. Walk is nice, bar the exaggerated head movement, death is also well done. Enlarging the tail during the attack is a nice trick, it really reinforces the impression of movement.

Stand is probably the one that deserves some tweaks (the tail gets deformed, the body moves too much while the head has zero vertical movement). Also a second variation where the mouth doesn't get open could be nice.

Very good job overall, keep it up. :)

Misha I'm not an expert, but I think using translation keys over rotation keys in this case deforms the mesh far too much (body and tail - stand anim; head - walk anim). Translation is fine for soft or fluid materials, but not things with bones or carapace.

That said, I actually like the animations a lot. Walk is nice, bar the exaggerated head movement, death is also well done. Enlarging the tail during the attack is a nice trick, it really reinforces the impression of movement.

Stand is probably the one that deserves some tweaks (the tail gets deformed, the body moves too much while the head has zero vertical movement). Also a second variation where the mouth doesn't get open could be nice.

Very good job overall, keep it up. :)

that's about all i could make to the original scorpion animset, without having to edit the anims themselves, which is still beyond me (since animating in milkshape is from scratch and destroys the existing war3 skeleton, which i didn't want to do)