• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Minimize geoset count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello so I made a stair kind of model by copy-pasting lots of smaller components, and the final result ended up with 500+ geosets.

Does it have any impact on performance to have more geosets as opposed to just one, and how can I make the whole model be just one huge geoset?

screenshot_10-png.375041

screenshot_11-png.375042

Level 21
how can I make the whole model be just one huge geoset?
uses two textures.
How do you intend to make one geoset that uses two textures? Is that a thing now in Reforged models?
That's similar to the option in Matrix eater or is there a simpler way?
I have no idea; I only tried it once, and if I recall correctly it worked for me.
Hmm I tried that already and it didn't work sadly.
You can use Mdlvis to select the the entire mesh; copy it and paste it into one of the geosets.

Oinkerwinkle's Vertex Modifier can also merge geosets, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really desperate.

Last edited:
Level 20
Hmm I tried that already and it didn't work sadly.
I would actually just try it with only the geosets using one texture at a time (which reduces the workload by half) and then keep trying it in lower chunks at a time until it works.

Otherwise I've had good success using Mdlvis, although you will want to recalculate the Normals back in Retera's afterward.

Kinda wondering how you ended up with 550 geoset
When you copy-paste a model component it becomes a new geoset. All the components I copy-pasted already consisted of 2 geosets (the actual planks, and the end of the planks).
How do you intend to make one geoset that uses two textures? Is that a thing now in Reforged models?
I guess I'd make it 2 geosets then. Or, 3 really since it actually uses 3 textures.
You can use Mdlvis to select the the entire mesh; copy it and paste it into one of the geosets.
Hmm how would I do this? I tried selecting the mesh that uses the same texture and hitting ctrl+c, but I'm getting this error;
screenshot_10-png.375076
I would actually just try it with only the geosets using one texture at a time (which reduces the workload by half) and then keep trying it in lower chunks at a time until it works.
I tried that too without any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.