• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #8 Discussion

Which theme would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
  • Escape (3): DeathChef, Lordkoon, Rufus
  • Arena(4): eubz, Vladadamm, KhaosMachine, MaTiJa97
  • Dungeon (13): Adarsh, Dat-C3, ERYFKRAD, HammerFist132, Tickles, Aeroblyctos, Kingz, -Kobas-, BeTaGod-, Drunken_Jackal, Jazztastic, Codric, Crazed_seal2
  • Comedy (3): mckill2009, neo_sluf, Remixer
  • RTS/Melee (3): kari0003, sonofjay, Ken-E

Vengeancekael will be hosting the Mini-Mapping contest #8. Because the poll didn't include all themes listed here, the poll is inaccurate. Your vote in the poll will still be tallied to the list in this post (unless you changed your mind). If you can think of anymore interesting themes, I'll add them to the list.

Escape:
The goal would be to flee from or get to something in a set amount of time without dying. There are plenty of examples of escape maps in the maps section for reference.

Arena:
Pit fighters together in an arena where they can train and fight each other head-on. There are so many arena maps already, so something unique would have to be added (such as a horror or underwater sub-theme for example).

Dungeon (Includes Boss Fights):
Although it's pretty self-explanatory, it would have everything we enjoyed about the boss fight theme for contest #7, but it could have more of a lead-up to get to the final boss fight (training on creeps, solving puzzles, etc.).

Comedy:
Who needs to be serious all the time? Entries could follow any style of gameplay as long as it's wacky, funny, and makes players laugh at how ridiculous it is. Examples could range from a mini RPG based on a brainless peon who wishes he could fly to a whack-a-mole game featuring My Little Pony.

RTS/Altered Melee:
Real Time Strategy or classic Warcraft 3 style by controlling troops to move around the map in groups to conquer enemies or capture control points.

Last edited:
Level 14
Arena sounds like many heroes involved and too much time needs to be put in them.
Since my last entry was a bossfight but also a dungeon I voted for dungeon again as it gives me most pleasure. Also an escape would be fresh idea.

Level 37
Ok.

Boss Fight - Contestants must create a map with a tough boss.

So 100% same as previous contest. It succeed so well, why not another?

Escape = boring, already seen
Arena = too many of these already
Dungeon = same as the last contest, except few boring creeps at the beginning
Comedy = trololol

A melee map contest is quite useless... as in very useless for it was all people have done since 2003 to now..... Why would you even want that? Why not something complex, fun, and interesting? Like another boss contest properly done or a terraining + system + rpg combine contest similar to a boss one? Where the map actually uses the terrain instead of people looking at it. For example a physics system?

Just my thoughts.

Level 28
Well you don't have imagination so you think melee map is useless, such a silly boy, you want to try me? let see how you can pull something you don't even know. Melee map is my passion and I know how to exceed its limit which I think you don't have since you said its useless. And you think I'm the only one who keep playing and making melee map? We got lots of people here on hive. Please before you say that a thing is useless think first.

Level 1
A melee map contest is quite useless... as in very useless for it was all people have done since 2003 to now..... Why would you even want that? Why not something complex, fun, and interesting? Like another boss contest properly done or a terraining + system + rpg combine contest similar to a boss one? Where the map actually uses the terrain instead of people looking at it. For example a physics system?

Just my thoughts.

Not much of a Good Idea :p

Level 5
How about the opposite of a Dungeon or a boss fight?

A game where the player must be the boss beating down the annoying heroes.

Or where the player could hold the dungeon against the annoying heroes, or something.

Main line- Annoying heroes, sticking their noses in and meddling with everything.

Level 21
As I said I'm offering a melee map contest, I can invite some of my group members to join.
So you mean a completely altered melee as one of the options? Would RTS be a better way to cover that in general? The option could be RTS/Altered Melee, or something like that.

Boss Fight - Contestants must create a map with a tough boss.
I would assume a boss fight would fall under the category of 'dungeon', so the theme description could just specify that it ranges from a full-out dungeon to just a phase-based boss fight within a dungeon.

Sounds fun :prazz: But what would you classify that as?

Or where the player could hold the dungeon against the annoying heroes, or something.
That would still be considered the dungeon category, wouldn't it? Seems like a specific and unique idea that you should use if dungeon is picked.

Level 14

Main line- Annoying heroes, sticking their noses in and meddling with everything.

This would be fun but its basically a defence-type game.
If I could switch my vote I'd say escape.

Level 15
Can't we have a melee map contest? Since the I have a feeling that the legendary fight will take some time before it starts.
Melee maps takes us back to the exact reason why are we playing Warcraft 3 all along. And to think of it, its really a good idea to set up a melee making contest it a great way to relive those days everyone playing melee.

While it isn't as appealing as any other custom-ed base scenario maps, its still indeed a great competition and will actually attract plenty of both adept and newbie contestants.

EDIT: Could really use more poll though. Variety is always welcome.

Level 21
Hmm, I can't seem to edit the poll, so I just posted RTS/Melee in the first post and rearranged anyone that voted for melee. If anyone wants to change their mind about anything, I'll keep track of changes in the post too. If RTS/Melee is chosen, hopefully there's at least some triggering and techtree work involved.

@Lordkoon
Changed your choice to Escape based on your post unless you want to choose RTS/Melee.

Level 37
Ok, I voted for the "Dungeon" if it's like the last contest that succeed so well.

And you must ask a moderator to change the poll. The polls in this site have always been so bad.

Good idea but maybe too hard making the AI and I really don't wanna play annoying games. :D

Level 21
I'll ask a mod to fix the poll up after we're sure about all the possible themes.

We had defense as a theme for Mini-Mapping #5 (which was oddly the solo contest before #7 :pshock:). There was a good amount of entries, but does it really seem epic enough to do over again so soon?

How does space/sci-fi sound as another option? Plenty of good futuristic models and some textures on this site now.

Level 21
A control point is something in RTS games that gives points, resources or units as long as you own them. A perfect example of that would be gold mines in Warcraft 3.

Puzzle would be a nice theme, but it was also used in Mini-Mapping #4. It seems like all the best themes have already been used :pmeh:

Level 14
I wonder for altered melee. I really hate the balance needed and the mirror-like maps on melee. Can a melee map be made but not be the same at all places (disbalanced I know)?

Or a melee map but with dungeon elements. When I was bored back then I used to open blizzard melee maps and make paths the way for all the ''computer/human'' players to pass in order to fight with each other. I removed the doors at Emerald gardens and made terrain the way for all players to meet at the middle (and you know how fun it is with 10 computer players that go there at the same time - like footman wars xd ), and there I made a big bad boss for everyone to fight while also fighting between each other.

Level 28
@Lordkoon,

You can do everything on melee map, you guys really down grading it, you want a dungeon melee map? Something like this?

ejsydk.jpg

2n8d0tw.jpg

Seriously, when you think you haven't see a unique melee map so far, doesn't mean there are none. I (and many other melee map makers) got plenty of private melee maps.

You guys really underestimating melee map, I got no business here anymore since all guys here wanna make oh code code codes, well just to prove that you can make more awesome things on melee map. here you go I'm leaving my current melee map on the making.

5dupzn.jpg

Ah those resources, some Russian guy made them all few years ago, awesome eh.

Btw I think we should allow competitors to get help from other people. Why not you can use resources, you can ask for models, testing, ideas etc, well everything right. Why we just don't allow few people to work on map as co-authors then.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Ah those resources, some Russian guy made them all few years ago, awesome eh.

Btw I think we should allow competitors to get help from other people. Why not you can use resources, you can ask for models, testing, ideas etc, well everything right. Why we just don't allow few people to work on map as co-authors then.

Where I can find those building tiles?

Are they a block by block type models or is it always whole "piece of wall"?

Maybe we could do "FTD Mini mapping contest?"
FTD = Free to Do
Or then we could mix things like it need to have battle, puzzles, and some cool things in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.