• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mineral Wars: Goblins and Kobolds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
After a long time doing other things than mapping, i'm back, and stronger.
My last project, Battle Depths, was a success, until i suddenly lost all interest of modding it.
This, follows in it's footsteps by adapting many diffirent features from it, though, it is not a hero arena.
This map is a new kind of map, and i hope i can make it thrive.
I present to you,
174511-albums3127-picture27471.jpg

The main concept of this map is to play as one of two factions, Goblins or Kobolds, and then get enough resources to win the game.
These resources, has to be gathered from diffirent places throughout a very mazy mine.
The players cannot attack each other, and therefore it is a game the mind and not of brute force.
But this is only a little part of the real game, and i can't have it all right here.
So please, read the rest of the post.

Gampeplay

As i've allready said, the main goal of the game is to gather minerals.
The first team with a specefic amount of minerals, win.

Minerals can be found mostly anywhere in the mine, by destroying rocks and other destructibles.
They are used both for winning the game, and for upgrading your hero and team to win the game faster.
What minerals you get from a rock or destructible is random, so luck is also a part of the game.
Though some "containers" will have better loot than others.
NEW:
I forgot to add that resources are represented by items.
The way you get them into currency form is by selling them at the Center Camp. (since people can't attack each other, goblins and kobolds share the same Center Camp.
I might though still add a invulnerability field to it, to make sure people don't kill each other with harmfull items such as dynamite.)

During the game, i plan to have players set up "mining camps" and have "caravans" travel throughout the mines, transporting minerals.
This might become essential to winning the game.
Since all rocks have a one minute respawn time, it is not that hard to find minerals.
It's the good spots and SPECIAL minerals that are important.
There will only be a few of theese, and not nearly enough for both teams (if i balance the game right), so it will be a battle of getting the good spots and sabotating caravans.

More information on minerals will be added later.
If you have questions or ideas, post them.

All players start with the same hero, even though they will look diffirent depending on if you're a kobold or a goblin.
The players cannot attack each other, only rocks and other things that you mine minerals from. So the only thing you use your Damage stat for is mining.

During the game, you will be able to upgrade your hero into various branches.
-Improved Mining
-Ally Boosting
-Tricks and Traps (annyoing and hindering the other team as much as possible)
and
-Running. (running minerals back to the base.)
These branches are not final in any way, but are the foundation for what will come.

The way you upgrade your hero is pretty much like getting yourself a cool item set in a Hero Arena:
You gather some items, you merge them, and voila, new hero. (You get a charged item that will transform your hero.)
The items that you will need to upgrade your hero will mostly be rare minerals, like a Diamond for example.
Most of which will require alot of mining and farming around the place.
(Trading with team members is encouraged.)

More Info on heroes will be added later. If you have any questions or ideas you are welcome to post them.

During the game you will also be able to controll other units than your hero.
These units can be things such as mobile Drop-Off points,
non-hero runners or just more miners to add to your team.

This will allow you to make much more complex setups and maneuvers than with just a hero.

These helpers will ofcourse get better and better throughout the game, as you get more and more minerals and therefore can buy more expensive things.

If you have any questions on the gamplay, post them. I'l be glad to write them down here.

Preveiws
No preveiws yet. Sozry, i'l get them to you when i've thought of some suitable ones.

Team
Currently, this is the team status:
-Jasser: I need somebody who can do jass, incase i can't make a trigger with GUI. (a pretty frequent thing.)
-Terrainer: Spot occupied by The World Is Flat
-Spellmaker: Somebody who can make cool effects and spells.
-Modeller: Somebody who can make minor modifications to models, and maybe animations.
-Testing/Feedback/Support: The more testers, feedbackers and supporters i have the better. All feedback, eventual testing and support is HIGHLY APPRECIATED.
Current T.F.S. Guys: erdniz
-Gui Secondary System Guy: Spot occupied by grygon

No beta yet, sorry. Will get one out soon :)
-Dragonson

Last edited:
Level 9
It sounds fun, can't wait to play.

Edit: Is it possible to STEAL from the other team?
Edit: Will there be materials that don't exist in real life, such as mithril?

Level 27
Glad you like the concept :)
The map is pretty simple work, until now, so a beta will not be too far out in the future. :)

Now, 'bout your questions:
1: That sounds like a GREAT idea!
I'l look into makin a system that allows that! :D
2: There will. Defenetely. Making up stuff is one of my favourite timekillers. ^^

Level 15
Cool concept! It would be really interesting if you could actually use the resources to build:
Walls (walls lose health over time, so you will need to repair/rebuild them constantly if you want to block enemies with this)

Other than that, I would like to ask if the resources that you have already spent would contribute to the amount that you need
i.e. I have 2k of x resource. I spend 1k of it. Would I have 2k of the resource (aka Total Resources Gathered) or 1k of it (aka Resources Left)?

Good luck, ready to provide help whenever possible :)

Level 27
Thanks for the feedback Zack :)
And i can tell, that you won't be using the resources to build, but to buy items, hire helpers, and maybe some other stuff.
Some of the items though might be "buildings" that you can place at the mining camps.

About the second question:
I've been fighting with myself about which of those i should use since i started on the map. :S
I'm really not sure, but i think i'm heading with a system that counts the total amount of gathered resources.

EDIT: I forgot to add some pretty important info on resources.
I've added it to the "Gathering Minerals" section, and marked it with a "NEW:" above it.

EDIT 2:
Hrm... i'm working on the Special Mining Base capture system.
My main idea is to have the players purchase "flags" from one of the merchants at the Main Mining Camp.
Then, they place a flag at a mining base to capture or challenge the current captors for dominance.
BUT: How should the recapturing work? What should determine who gets it?
It can't be battle, atleast not the classical way.

Any ideas?

Level 6
I really look forward to the game.

it may be some places of the camp, when some one takes the flag to the middle of the camp these points becomes neutral, then if you stand on the place fore some time it is on your team, the first how get 75% of the places wins the camp, then the other team must get their flag to the middle and the cycle is started all over.
this only works if the camp are big.

PS. sorry for my bad English

Good. Good. good.

I can do ideas/terrain.

but i have an idea/question how do these caravans operate? my suggestion would be to make it so that there are 2 caravans for each team. both of them follow pre-defined routes trough out the mine. (maybe be able to set up traps for caravans if you on the opposing team?)

How about a supply and demand system? like if people sell a lot of diamonds, demand abouve will go down and you wont get as much cash from daimonds? and of course a randomness factor like suddenly there will be a massive increase in desire for, say silver.

if you do do somthing like that. then players could also use secret catches to store large numbers of minerals... so they can wait to sell them when the prices are high? and opposing players can try to find and steal from thses catches? and what about paying a large about of gold to like *spike* the market. say theres a special player type who is good at getting information about the enemy team, and he finds out that they are saving for a good time to sell their silver. the opposing tem could spike the market and send prices waay down...

Just ideas.

Also you could pa mercenaries to set up ambuses.

and what about *controlling territory?* and if you control territory you can set up *checkpoints* or tolls and the caravans when they come trough, have to pay? so it pays to do things liek hire mercenaries to help you protect and capture parts of the mine???

also 2 players could be mercenarys. and these guys can ONLY get money by getting paid by a team. so a team asks them to defend a piece of the mine (that say has a lot of silver) and the mercenaries can say ok pay us 200 and well protect it for liek 5-ten minutes. and if they just take the money and run... then nobody will do bsiness and they will loose... a mecenary team wins if, by the end of the game, they havem ore gold than the other. mecenary teams can terain troops cheaply so they have to balance charging with purchasing and upgrading troops...

jsut ideas... tell me if you like 'em! :D :D i love the map idea!

Level 27
Glad you like the map Flat :) And you're MORE THAN WELCOME (notice that i underscored "More") on the team :D
Your ideas are pretty cool. Though my plans for the caravans was that there'd be one per mining base, so that whoever has the base has the caravan.
I allready decided that there'l be pre-defined routes :D
Would be too hard to lay traps and ambushes if not. (i thought of that too.)
The caravan wagons contain items that will be dropped on-death.
If the wagons are killed, you can easily pick up the items and run away with them. (no friendly-fire on wagons to make sure a team just dosn't kill the wagons and bring the goods home with their imba heroes.)

Though, instead of the mercenaries, we're gonna have the Ally Boosting heroes for Protection and the Tricks and Traps heroes for ambushes. (gotta make up better names sometime...)

The controlling terretory idea is pretty nice.
I can see how, instead of killing the caravans, you take toll for passage! :D That'd be pretty cool. Though i have to think abit about how i'd have it work, and how to make it balanced with the fact that you COULD just kill them.
Also, combining this thing with erdniz's idea could come out pretty well.

The supply and demand system is also great :D
I'm entirely sure how to make it, but if i can it would be awesome.
These "catches" sound nice too.
I'l figure out a way how to make them work :)

And really, if you'd terraing up the dungeon, it, would, be, AWESOME. :D
Do you mind if i add you to the team right away?

P.S. Hope i didn't miss or understand something wrong. :S
This post is ABIT confused.

lol i worte that post like 60 secnds so i might be confusing! glad to be on the team! :D i'll start terraining right away if you want! :D

I thought the idea of mecenaries would be cool, because you have to cut deals with people and stuff... it adds an importat aspect, if applied. becuase if you ignored to mecenaries and the other team didn't then they could pawn you with checkpoints and traps ect. if you want to impliment them :D :D! i coudl lay down some accual mechanics if youre intrested in such a mechanic... (and some more ideas about checkpoints and supply and demand if you want :D :D)

Level 27
I'd DEFENETELY need some mechanic feedback on the Supply and Demand thing, and maybe on checkpoints, but i'm still abit shifty about the Mercenaries. :S
I see that they could add a cool aspect to the game, but they're just not what i had in mind.

I'l get the Beta done first, and then we can talk mercenaries, k? :)

ALso, about the terrain: Need the basemap all finished first. ;)
But after that i'l GLADLY lend you the reins of the terrain. :D

Level 27
Ahai! I made up a way to capture mining bases that (in my opinion) works well with no problems :)

When a flag is placed, it will keep standing wherever it is. it won't disappear or anything, 'cause it's gonna be what all this is about.

If you want to capture a mining camp, you have to go and kill the existing flag, then place your own one. :)
You can kill the flag with harmfull items such as DYNAMITE! >:D

When a flag is killed, all units from the faction owning the flag will be teleported to the main mining camp if they were standing in the mining camp.

What do you guys think about that?

Level 27
Yeah.
Currently they cost 200 gold, which isn't that much.
You can get 100 gold for a ruby, which isn't hard to find, and 150 gold for a sapphire, which isn't that hard to find either.
You can also get 10 gold for a piece of ore, which is the most common drop from rocks.
(More will come soon, but these are what i've made of minerals so far. :p)

I were also thinking to make it like this: When a flag is planted, a timer starts.
After 20 seconds the mining camp area is locked off.
If no hero of the opposing team has entered before then, the camp automatically goes to whoever is trying to capture it.
If one or more hero has entered the area, they have ten seconds to kill the flag.

When a base has been captured, it is safe from capturing the next three minutes.

How does that sound?

Level 27
Good ;) I'l get to work on finishing the system then.
After that, i'l make the caravan system and start on the other mining camps.
Great! We got that covered. Now...

What i need ideas for right now is abilities for the diffirent hero lines.
Like, the Trickery heroes, the Boost Heroes, the Running Heroes and the Improved Mining heroes.
So just hurl your ideas at me and i'l see if i can use them. :)

Level 27
Hmm... Ideams? :p
The megabomb idea seems pretty cool.
A bomb that makes everyone drop their mined ore and minerals. ^^
Though, i actually promised myself i would NOT include teleportation in my map.
Always screws up something. :p
So no portals. ;)

About the Refining system:
Explain moar plox :p
what do you mean with base metals? and does that include gems?

Yeah alright, you don't have to do that lol.

i guess... and i suppose it doesent have to be completely realistic... i don't know...

like combining items..

like say you mine and find iron? then you can bring it to a refinery and turn it into steel or somthing...

maybe have options: turn iron into iron oxide and dig up some aluminum. combine the two and it becomes thermite. ect.

Level 27
Ah. You mean like combining minerals into more coolish minerals? :)
That sounds pretty cool.

We could make it so that you get ore and gems from the rocks.
You could then combine the ore with specefic kinds of gems to make even awesomer minerals?

Level 27
Heh ^^
Maybe. Maybe not.

Edit:
Allright, i'm slowly progressing.
The mine capture system is almost finished, which is one of the hard parts of this project apparently.
(GUI can be frustrating sometimes, but i'm too lazy to learn Jass. :S)
When that's done, i'l set up the other mining camps and copy the system to them, and the base terrain is ready for you Flat :)

Level 27
Heh... i finally got all bugs that i could find removed from the Mine Camp Capture trigger.
If you see any, tell me please. :p

• Capture Green
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Plant Flag
    • Actions
      • Set CapturerUnitGreen = (Casting unit)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • CaptureYNGreen Equal to 0
          • (Mining Camp Green <gen> contains (Target point of ability being cast)) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Set CaptureYNGreen = 1
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of (Owner of CapturerUnitGreen)) + is attempting to capture the Green Mining Camp! The gates will close in twenty seconds.)
          • Wait 20.00 seconds
          • Destructible - Create a Mine Gate 2 at (Center of Gatespawn1 <gen>) facing (Center Y of Gateface1 <gen>) with scale 1.00 and variation 0
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (In 30 seconds, the Green Mining Camp will be captured by + (Name of (Owner of CapturerUnitGreen)))
          • Wait 30.00 seconds
            • If - Conditions
              • (Number of units in (Units in Mining Camp Green <gen> matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Flag))) Equal to 0
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in GreenMineFullArea <gen> matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Flag)) and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in GreenMineFullArea <gen> matching (((Matching unit) is Mechanical) Equal to False)) and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to (Center of Portal <gen>)
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: The flag in the Gre...
              • Destructible - Remove (Random destructible in Gateremoveregion Green <gen>)
              • Set CaptureYNGreen = 2
              • Wait 30.00 seconds
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: The Green Mining Ca...
              • Set CaptureYNGreen = 0
            • Else - Actions
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of (Owner of CapturerUnitGreen)) + has captured the Green Mining Camp! It is now uncaptureable for three minutes.)
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Overseer Slaughtergrounds <gen>) and do (Unit - Remove (Picked unit) from the game)
                • If - Conditions
                  • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
                    • Conditions
                      • (Owner of CapturerUnitGreen) Equal to Player 1 (Red)
                      • (Owner of CapturerUnitGreen) Equal to Player 2 (Blue)
                      • (Owner of CapturerUnitGreen) Equal to Player 3 (Teal)
                      • (Owner of CapturerUnitGreen) Equal to Player 4 (Purple)
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Create 1 Overseer Goblin for Player 7 (Green) at (Center of OverseerSpawn <gen>) facing (Center X of Table <gen>) degrees
                • Else - Actions
                  • Unit - Create 1 Overseer Kobold for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of OverseerSpawn <gen>) facing (Center X of Table <gen>) degrees
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in GreenMineFullArea <gen> matching ((Unit-type of (Matching unit)) Equal to Flag)) and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in GreenMineFullArea <gen> matching (((Matching unit) is Mechanical) Equal to False)) and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to (Center of Portal <gen>)
              • Destructible - Remove (Random destructible in Gateremoveregion Green <gen>)
              • Set CaptureYNGreen = 2
              • Wait 180.00 seconds
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: The Green Mining Ca...
              • Set CaptureYNGreen = 0
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing

Level 7
This is really cool Idea and I would love to test any portion of it :D!. Sujjestions?: Maybe kind of a bomber man motion to the game? place a bomb and run, cave ins from mining too much ore at certain points maybe, a train sytem/mini game of mini carts?, Have like a cave zone and a over world zone so that you can do special events in the underground and kinda like ant wars on a larger scale good luck guys :D!

Level 27
Amg, zero punctuation syndrome!

Nah. just kidding :)
I really appreciate your contribution of ideas, but could you explain them abit more?

I've allready been wondering if i should add cave ins, and it seems like a nice idea to be able to block passages. But, i have to make it blend in with the caravan routes.

Which reminds me:
I've been thinking abit about how the resources gained from mining camps should work.
An idea could be, to just make certain item combinations require that you have a specefic mining camp under your controll. Example: to create a "Unholy Mining Laser" (yes, i'l be adding mining lasers.), you need to controll the Blighted Mining Camp. (green mining camp.)
The caravans would then simply be carrying a massive amount of gold.

Level 7
Use mine carts for transportation go into different parts of the mines etc. or a minigame like the mine cart game in club penguin or to that effect.

And from using explosives to much or mining too much ore just do the rock falls or whatever kill the guys in there and flood rocks in the region to be destroyed some may have ores

And Have it so when you go underground its seperate from the above ground like it is in ant wars so you can do different lighting effects and that familiar gameplay

Level 27
Well, those are denetely iteresting ideas.
The thing is: I'm not sure if i can make them. :S
I'm 100% a GUI man. All Jass is made by others.

In my previous project, Battle Depths, my friend Zack1996 did ALL the Jass.

I might look further into these ideas later, but right now i'l focus on the beta. :)

Level 15
In my previous project, Battle Depths, my friend Zack1996 did ALL the Jass.
I won't mind doing it again :p

But generally, I only do JASS spells, rarely systems :(

Seems like the progress is pretty good. However, the system provided does leak. You should add a custom script before each Pick Every Unit event. The script should be:
set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
This way, the Unit Groups would be destroyed after it is used, so it will not take up unnecessary memory.
Point leaks as well, please clean those up too.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/complete-list-things-leak-126761/
There's a list of things that leak and how to fix them here. Just look at the GUI stuff.

The Underground would require a larger map, and IMO it doesn't really make gameplay much more interesting, unless you can cause the ground to cave in and bury those poor people below :p

Level 27
Thanks zack :)
I'l look into it.

Isn't there something about that triggers doesn't leak if you use variables for everything? i'm trying to use them for as many things as possible.

EDIT: Ehh... just to be sure i got it right:
I only need to add that jass line once right?
Then it'l automatically destroy all groups after they've been used?

Level 27
You're in then :)
Welcome to the team. ^^

Anywayz people, i'l be moving from one compu to another compu tomorrow.
So, not too much progress today or tomorrow, but after that i'l probably be home ('cuz i'm ill. -.-) and having loads of time.
Ofcourse, i can't guarantee anything.
Maybe i'l have to go to a heckload of doctors. Again.

Level 6
Yay jut tell me what to do and wen to do it.
hope it isn't to serious, all good wishes, and get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.