1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Merging TTOR resources(units/abilities) with the latest version of Wc3 World Editor

Discussion in 'The Lab' started by Goregoose, May 26, 2017.

1. Goregoose

Goregoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi guys,
    I've noticed a topic that has cropped up on the forums more than a few occasions with not many people replying and that's about utilizing the resources from the TTOR mod and putting into regular Wc3 for use. I myself mentioned this a couple times in my other two threads.
    Well, I'm experimenting in merging the two and seeing how I can make this a reality.

&&DISCLAIMER&&
    Tales of Raviganion(TTOR) was created by Rightfield and whomever his team was comprised of. All credits for his mod goes to him and his team, not me. I'm trying to contact him, if you have any relevant contact info for him, please let me know.
    &&Disclaimer over&&

I believe I can't publish any results I create online without getting permission from the TTOR creator(who I believe is MIA in the warcraftsphere). But I'll update this thread to let you guys know how you can access and use TTOR spells and models/skins in the latest version of the World Editor.
    What I'm doing could probably not be very impressive or cool but I felt some people may want to find a way of compiling resources in order to make them available for their (personal) use.

Background:
    (I can only run TTOR with ROC and not TFT[I beleive TTOR needs TFT though?])

Past technique: Taking TTOR resources and importing them piece by piece manually
    Current technique: putting TTOR files from the mpq into the war3x.mpq, without replacing vital war3x related files(a lot of trial and error and folder creation is involved).
    (((Steps I've completed)))
    1. I've managed to open the TTOR mpq using MPQeditor(mpqediten32).
    2. I then extracted them into a folder I just named new folder.
    3. I manually imported (through the editors import manager) every single dang file from "new folder" including many files I believe probably aren't meant to be imported through the import manager.
    (4.) In a separate small map I've made, I was able to "import all object data" which includes the spells/buffs/units/dummies/items ect.
    (5.) in the same separate small map I was also able to import the w3o file of TTOR through the AI editor.
    All past steps have been not fruitful, so I restarted and worked with modifying the mpq.
    (1.) I opened the war3x.mpq and created folders for all unit related content from TTOR and added the files into those folders.
    (2.) I added the textures and replaceable textures from TTOR into the war3x.mpq
    (3.) I added all slk files for abilities into the mpq.

(((CURRENT RESULT)))
    I can get the models and icons to work, and textures as well but I can't see if the AI can use the abilities unless I get the abilities to work. I test this with using the time stop and bribe ability, so if they don't work abilities aren't working.

(((CURRENT PROBLEMS)))
    1.Trying to get the other model files visible I tried to edit their path names in the import manager but it gives me this error:
    this application has encountered a critical error: Not enough storage is available to process this command
    File: SFile.cpp
    Line: 898

2. How to play regular TTOR with TFT that doesn't cause it to crash or TTOR content to be ignored.
    3. Learning how to better use the MPQ editor.
    4. I've been trying to create new folders in war3x.mpq and unfortunately was stopped by trying to see if I could create a new folder within units/creeps/ and then add the model and skin files into there. Unfortunately if you do you end up with "Failed to add the file "ratseer.mdx" to the MPQ. The parameter is incorrect

7. Problems 1 - 4 may be irrelevant since my technique has changed. I'm now just trying to figure out what I need to do to get TTOR abilities to work exactly how they should.

I hope this thread will be useful to people, and I hope others would like to join me in trying to get this to work. If there are any tips or suggestions please let me know. Otherwise, I'll just keep updating you guys, I'm not a very good editor but I hope to improve and hope this thread will contribute to the Wc3 modding community in some manner.

*UPDATE* So I found there is no coorelation between changing an imported item's path from another drive and the World Editor crashing, I tested it out with a normal file I downloaded and imported content from that drive. So I can't seem to find what is the issue of changing imported data from the extracted mpq of TTOR.

*update 2* I added some stuff in the MPQ when I edited it, when I rename it ttor.mpq replacing the old it allows me to see all the custom textures applied to the units however prevents me from seeing the models from TTOR. TTOR icons can also be visible. I'm getting closer.
    *update 3* I've been trying to create new folders in war3x.mpq and unfortunately was stopped by trying to see if I could create a new folder within units/creeps/ and then add the model and skin files into there. Unfortunately if you do you end up with "Failed to add the file "ratseer.mdx" to the MPQ. The parameter is incorrect.
    (If I create new folders and add files into war3.mpq I don't have that problem but I still can't configure attributes...whatever that is)
    I'm way in over my head but I'm adding this to the list of current issues.

*Update 4* Major break through! I was able to successfully get the latest version of TFT's World Editor to reckognize the new model I put into it, when I imported object data from the w3o file it recognized the correct path of the custom model...but another model it did not recognize so I'm not sure what's up with that, theoretically, if I do this step by step and add all the necessary files I should at the very least get all the units to work.
    *note* the model does not show up as preset nor imported and can only be found if you use custom.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This feels like it belongs to the Lab or some other section, and this could be useful to others who are interested with TTOR's. I'll tell some of the staff if they should move this to the Lab.

3. Goregoose

Goregoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks :) I put it here because I thought the Lab was more for professionals who know what they were doing and since I need a great deal of guidence I though putting it here may fit. But maybe it'll be more cozy in the lab after all :D

*Update 5* certain files/folders have to be put into wc3x.mpq and others in wc3.mpq...I suppose that's because certain files are frozen throne dependent and...well I'm not sure why others would be ROC dependent.

4. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    By the way, what is TTOR?

5. Goregoose

Goregoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    TTOR is that old 2005 total conversion mod for Warcraft called (the?) Tale's of Raviganion. The creator Rightfeild hasn't been active since 2005. I wish he wasn't because he could do it himself probably with more ease, but it's apparent the user has no more interest in wc3. So since I can't contact him to ask for permission I can merely see if it can be done and give instructions on how to do, I believe I could not distribute this edited mpq I'm making.
    I used to play with this mod years ago, but it made it so sound couldn't work. Since now I'm older and more experienced with the editor I thought I want to give it a go once again, but alas the mod doesn't seem to work all correctly, so I figured I can just manually import all of it's data into regular warcraft to get the best of both worlds.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  6. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Ah, okay. So, what is this TTOR all about? Is it a fantasy-driven story, or is it one of thrill and suspense?

7. Goregoose

Goregoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    It was really cool, I beleive it had no campaign and was more of a melee mod. But they had entirely new and unique abilities(not sure how they worked to be honest[did they use triggers or something else, I don't know]), but they replaced Humans with Wood Elves, Orcs with Trolls, Undead with Chaos, and Night Elves with Lizardmen...errr Swamplings...Swamp People I don't know. But it's more different than you'd think. Many new versions of Wc3 can't run TTOR properly so I'm desperate to find out how to make it something that's additional to current WC3 and not just replacing everything or worse yet reverting everything into ROC.
    The creator of this mod Rightfield was very creative I think, though some of the models and their animations were sub-par but you were at least immersed in what he created.

Currently I feel more like a Warcraft Archaeologist rather than a Warcraft Scientist haha

8. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Oh, I see. I wish you the best in your endeavor.

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Man, TToR is old-school. Lotta good memories there (though I'm not sure it's aged well). And his plethora of models really made the whole package that much better... In fact, up until this last year he was the author of the single, solitary Jungle Troll "town hall" building. Pretty much the only alternative. (though the crane & the smoke were way too much, definitely edited those out).

Good luck, man.

10. Goregoose

Goregoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks, I hope I can get it to work, it seems that the war3x.mpq isn't being picky at the moment, I'm going to test the edited war3x.mpq now and hope it works just like an edited war3.mpq. Do you per chance know how TTOR had spells made? I kind of doubt merely having their files in the mpq will make them magically work.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I don't remember; I'm not even sure I played it back in the day (mostly just mined it for ideas & models). I can say, however, that they used to modify a certain file back then ("common.j", or was it the ".slk"s I think?) instead of using the trigger editor, so you may not find the ability codes int he way you are hoping.

12. Goregoose

Goregoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh what you're saying is actually super helpful. Because I found a bunch of .slk's in the mpq so I think I can squeeze them in there. I was just testing out the new war3x.mpq and it works thus far...so my theory is correct thus far. I hope it works out. I'm probably not going to go through the effort of replacing the UI but if people would like me to try I can.
    Since my technique allows the imported object data to be treated as editing the units I can revert to defaults of any given race so theoretically I can have wood elves vs night elves etc.
    I was also thinking maybe I should be able to put this edited mpq on the site because the creator has been gon for 12 years. Would that be something alright to do or perhaps that'd be a little presumptuous and bad of me to do. It would save you guys a lot of time if I could though

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Personally, I'm all for "updating/fixing/releasing of old projects"; it's something the likes of @Kam & me take as a mutual ambition. I know there's a lot to be said about "respecting old works", but in this case, with an author gone over a decade & the stuff foundering away... I see no problem. : )

14. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    At this point I would say it was fine. We are going to need mods to create a policy regarding this sort of thing though. @Ralle

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  16. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What is the TTOR mod? Kyrbi0, I don't like that you are faking a quote from me. It will confuse people.

17. Goregoose

Goregoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    The Tales of Raviganion mod for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
    It's a mod for melee in wc3 and added a lot of new creeps different playable races and new abilities.
    @rightfeild was the creator of the this mod, his profile is still up on hiveworkshop. I don't know anything about his reputation in the wc community but I figured that somebody should attempt to make his mod compatible with TFT and the latest updates so it can be useable to people in this decade.

Oh this actually explains a bit of the reason for the creator's absence RightField

And here is his user page RightField

*UPDATE* when putting everything into the folder Creeps in the mpq, I had no snags, though some I'm guessing will have to belong in the regular war3.mpq. When making a new folder in the units folder things get tricking where when I add a file into the mpq it tells me that file already exists in the mpq...sometimes, so it's acting all bogus for no good reason so I guess I just have to keep trying to get that to work. Now I also came into the issue where some of the files that were successfully put into the new folder "chaos" under units, will not show up still. I wonder if it's something to do with another dependent file else where. I hope once all the files are added I won't come into that issue again. Any tips?

Ah! I almost had everything perfect, but I seemed of turned my mpq file into read only mode! Help! I can't edit anything this way and the mpq editor is using a bunch of jargon I don't understand.

Well I'm at a loss, Ladik's mpq editor is only opening the mpqs in read only mode for no apparent reason. I can only continue if someone tells me how to open in not read only.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2017
  18. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Fair enough; I've edited it. 'Twas merely a joke, anyway. : )

And Goregoose did a fine job answering the other half of your post.

19. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I don't want to play the devils advocate here, but I don't see a merit in reviving ancient, long abandoned projects, especially when the original author is gone.

Get creative and move on with your own project. I highly doubt such a revived project would ever live up to the level of quality we apply to WC3 maps these days anyway.

20. Goregoose

Goregoose

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can understand your perspective on this and honestly I'd love to do a more original project. I actually first posted this thread under world editor help as I did not see it technical enough nor my own enough to be in the Lab. And especially since I have literally no clue what I'm doing. I'm not trying to revive it, I'm not going to update it nor claim any of the things involved in it are mine, I'm just trying to see if I can seemlessly merge two mpqs to provide more resources for myself for the editor.
    However, I have several reasons why I'm doing this.
    1. I've seen several threads that seemed interested in the prospects of using ttor's resources. Myself and apparently Kyrbi0 and Kam seemed interested in it as well. Well I'm just assuming they are :p
    2. I can't do jack, I can't make models, I could probably make skins but I really don't care to make skins anyway. I can't really make abilities beyond the ability editor. Although I've played Warcraft for years I'm really a novice at editing anything.
    3. This is a good start for me to learn how to use the mpq editor and some other deeper tools.
    4. I'm experimenting with this method of manual mpq merging. If I'm able to get this to work(meaning all TTOR and TFT content work in coexistence) then that can give great implication that I could potentially compile more resources together for my own personal use.
    5. TTORs stuff may be dated (especially some of the models) but a lot of these models are still useful and seem unable to be imported easily with the import manager. So allow access to the model files is useful to me.
    6. There were a lot of custom abilities in TTOR that if I manage to get the .w3o and .slk files to work along side of vanilla TFT I now would have access to almost twice as much abilities without doing tedious copy pasting and worrying that all the triggers are going to work. Some of these abilities were really rad.
    7. As I said I want to do my own stuff, but for now this should be a starting point for myself. I do have many custom race ideas and caimpaign concepts but I really doubt anybody is interested in doing any of the work involved for that for me, and I don't have the cash to pay them too either.
    If I were to make a total conversion project it'd probably be based on my comic series
    Mercenary Gu | Tapas
    I already have the lore and factions set up for it. Besides that I had a neat idea for a fantasy movie themed race conversion which would include units that would be from The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth...but I wouldn't know how to make a story out of that with out it turning into cringey fanfic. Besides those two things, after I get the abilities and models I wanted out of the TTOR's mpq I was going to use those for co-op DnD inspired maps for me and my friends to play together.
    Well actually before all this I was sort of making something but it was really lame, I made humans into all humans(no dwarves nor elves), orcs into a variation of centaurs and other savage creatures, undead into demons, and night elves into serpent and reptile people. This was already very similar to TTOR, except my idea was much worse. I was trying to get additional races to play with but I couldn't get it to work (I downloaded a bunch of Chinese themed models to make a Chinese faction of humans, but I couldn't figure out how to make a functional AI compatible 5th and beyond race). Possibly the only thing interesting I made were a few custom abilities that I made without using the trigger editor.

-sorry for writing a wall of text. Again I totally understand your view on this, but I can't think of any easier way to get all the models and spells from that mpq to be imported into the latest version of wc otherwise. If I could get an "angel invester" of wc to aid me with my custom map ideas then I probably would abandon what I'm doing now. It'd certainly save me a lot of time lol

*update #something or other*
    Turns out all I had to do make everything normal again was just to refresh the windows explorer page...weird. However the one mpq is still perma read only so I used a backup I had to edit instead. Fortunately itd's now only that one mpq that's read only.

Edit: sorry the : P emoticon looked a lot cuter than intended

Last edited: May 30, 2017