• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MPQ Import Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi, I am working on a campaign and importing new files is currently a pain in the eye because there are already around 3500 files loaded into my map so I want to ask what actually changes when I import my data into the MPQ files especially when I want others to play my campaign, do they have to get the MPQ files, too or how does it actually work then?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Maps and campaigns are MPQ files so I am a bit confused as to what you are asking.

In theory you could use an external editor to import all the assets into your campaign directly. The problem is the import list file will not contain these imports so when you next use WorldEdit to save the map/campaign the imports will be discarded. If one was to import the assets and import an import list file containing all the imports then it would work fine.

Level 10
I am creating an own campaign and I just heard about importing new stuff into the MPQ instead of each campaign/map all the time, so I ask what would happen. Would it for example be possible to publish a campaign with some kind of MPQ installer or whatever I just throw around words :D

Level 11
Zunariel, a campaign has a separate Import Editor from each individual map. If you load your custom models and skins into that editor once it will apply these models/skins to all maps within your campaign without the need to import them into each individual map.

He wants to do the MPQ thing as importing 3500 models, especially the part with setting the skin paths right, takes ages if you do it for every map.

Status
Not open for further replies.