• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Memento Mori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
The new logo looks better. Like it!
By the way u should put less effort on trying to improve model graphics its already enough for wc3, because u won't gona finish it soon. Any way keep it going!
Well, it can be improved more until he feels like there's nothing more to be done but maybe he should release a first version. Since I got my project split in 3 ep I researched tech but not to much for ep one. When I felt I did enough work on it I release the first ep. While I was still researching I decided to post the current version of ep one and make the second one better. Of course I still could research for ep 2 but I guess the time has come to work at finishing it. A Lot of tech I reserchet so far for ep 2 I will implement in episode 3. So it all depend on him if he feels like it's enough or not.

Conclusion: I don't know about you but I think you got enough tech to start a first release. Me and the other fans would like to have a taste of your stuff!

Last edited:
Level 17
There, now that's better.
When do I get to test the thing?

:p when its done. *Blizzard* I reckon this christmas the first two chapters should be fairly playable.

Looking great, are you going to maybe later on release some models from Momento Mori?
Most likely not, maaybe something very generic like trash cans/furniture and small doodads, if anything.

About the tech and stuff, I do not develop any more of it because the art direction I feel (finally) is done.
What is left is to keep making the level design and because you know, mostly everything is modeled by me it may take some time but that is only because I want to keep the quality consistent.

I realize it would be too much of a wait to develop all at once, that is why I decided early on to make the mod periodic.
Did a lot of concept work and I finally settled everything in stone, the levels the narrative and the script.

It is gonna be like this:
Chapter 0 :
• Rude Awakening - A tutorial map, progress most likely won't transfer over to the next chapters.
Takes place at L.A downtown, places to explore (or are part of the level but not explicitly accessible) are Omni Hotel, Museum Tower apartments, Olive ST. apartments and Colburn school.
Also contains a couple of flooded parking lots to explore as part of the level.

Chapter 1 :
• Descent - Takes place at the historic core of L.A, places to explore are mostly shops like 7 eleven and Rite Aid.
• At Alexandria - Sub Map, takes place at Alexandria hotel, at the historic core of L.A

Chapter 2 :
• Into the Darkness - Sub Map, takes place in the L.A subway system.
• Lost in the Light - Takes place at the L.A downtown. It is the third and the final "core" map.
• Memento Mori - Sub Map and the final map, takes place at Deloitte tower at California plaza, L.A downtown

At this moment, the most work is done on the Descent map, but I actively work on the Rude Awakening to release that one first as the "demo" map.
At Alexandria and Into the Darkness are smaller maps that I have assets for but there is no other work done on them.
The last two maps are not started yet and I can't really say an ETA on them.
The chapter 0 should come out or be fairly playable during this Christmas, while Descent may come out at Q1 of 2014.
I hope to finish the Chapter 2 as well, because the story won't make sense otherwise. Though it is a bit too early to tell yet when exactly that would be.

Also, here is a test I did using the ivy generator that Toby found on one of the buildings.
It looks kick arse but I have no idea how you'd reduce that from the 300k polies it has lol.

185888-albums6426-picture75791.jpg

And here is one that I tried to project onto a plane. It may look good with actual texture and with extra detail you add manually but the texture size is gonna be an issue for bigger things.
Probably not very great for close ups, but looks really handy for some of the background buildings.
Though generally, it is great for rendering textures, especially cause you can use your own textures for the leaves and branches. Another thing is you can use it to grow leaves on makeshift trees as well, by letting the ivy grow over the branches then export only the leaves without the branches mesh.

185888-albums6426-picture75799.jpg

Last edited:
Level 17
On everything, actually. Mostly concept art for the level though.
And also been tinkering around the HUD with the little time I have available. I'm brainstorming over how to make a loot system, initially I just made it so that whatever you find is automatically added into your inventory.
Though I will probably settle with a three-dimensional floating HUD for loot window, with like 6 slots and icons will be made with attachments attached to the base window which will be a dummy unit and you will be able to control it like the inventory. (arrows for navigation, [e] to loot etc)
I put a lot of effort into polishing the interface, there will be a lot of HUD display given how none of the wc3 interface elements will be useful for anything in the mod.
When looting, when interacting with objects or cycling through the hotbar.

And that's one of the concepts for an example. Most of the building is non playable area only except for the service entrance in the low left corner which is a hideout entrance as implied by the blue glow which is roughly how interactive objects are displayed.
This is the Colburn school building, see comparison to the real life location below. It is nearly identical to the real thing, except for some extra geometry I added so it looks less simple in-game. (such as those extruded corners)
The model is the most complex at the bottom (where the windows have actual broken glass) and gets progressively lower poly on the way to the top because those parts are never really seen from close enough anyway.
It's also not finished obviously, I model first and make texture/wrap much later because that is the tedious part.

colburn.jpg

Level 16
That is beautiful Tal`! Did you use default scan line with sunlight or mental ray with daylight system and at what render settings? I bet the Interface will be mindblow as well.

Getting that IVI optimized is harder than I initially thought, to keep it HQ I need to make smaller planes and lots of them plus maybe a parallax added maybe?! I wonder how yours gonna turn out.

I noticed that wc3 doesn render the shadow maps as they are displayed in 3ds max because of the way modulate shades the textures which is a slightly darker - yellowish. Also not everything renters when baking textures unfortunately for us.

Level 17
The render is just a regular Mental ray with target spot light and skylight with sky texture for the general ambient light color (you can see the clouds reflected in the window) with a glare and HDRI camera shaders as post-processing.
It has global illumination turned off though and no photometric portals so it is basically just hard shadows. It would take much longer to render with GI and I don't really need it for outdoor scenes.

Yeah, the modulate does look a bit wonkier. I do however adjust the shadow texture later to make look nicer and also make the base texture with additive so the colors don't wash out.

As for that, I have problems with the HUD because of the awful texture filtering that wc3 uses, which causes 512p textures to basically never show in that definition because you'd have to be so close camera would be cutting into the model for 512p mipmap to show.
I was in the belief that selecting "full resolution" tag makes it not use the awful texture filtering on that exact material but from what I tested it actually does jack shit.
You can't even use 1mip map count textures because it will still use texture filtering only use portions of the biggest mipmap instead which ends up looking completely broken.
So yeah, unless there is a way to display in full resolution ? Maybe magos does not save the property ? (like it does not seem to save a bunch of things).

Also, I have been re-exploring the possibilities for multiplayer implementation. There are some good concepts that can't be used in singleplayer or can't be used because of plot/setting related reasons.
It wouldn't be related to MM or set in the same universe but it would be very much built on the mechanics of the mod.
Though if I ever decide to give it a go I'd try to recruit about 2~3 other people.

Last edited:
Level 16
The render is just a regular Mental ray with target spot light and skylight with sky texture for the general ambient light color (you can see the clouds reflected in the window) with a glare and HDRI camera shaders as post-processing.
It has global illumination turned off though and no photometric portals so it is basically just hard shadows. It would take much longer to render with GI and I don't really need it for outdoor scenes.
I am making my own work with lighting and it's just not coming out the way it should this time around. I scrapted it numeros times till I decided to lighten the load, think I'll use this pointer as test, Thanks!

Level 17
Yeah, it is not as much about the shadows as it is about the light. I was playing with the idea of using slightly darker textures and additive light maps instead of shadow maps for making shadows.
Though the problem is that the shadows may be too light, or when you make the base too dark it won't look right even after brightened with additive.

Both additive and alpha modes have a tendency to wash out things. That would be my biggest complaint about wc3 engine actually, the generally low color range.
The fact that it looks really washed out especially with fog, which I as a result use none. (and also because ENB is incompatible with fog)

Though the ENB setup I use does have a ton of color correction with HDR and gives me complete control over the color and color range so I'm fine with that.
It is one of the less taxing features so I will supply it as the lowest default setting of the shaders.

Also, I was checking some of The last of Us screens and I'd bet they made their climbing foliage the same way too. As in using a procedural generation and then doing a projection on flat textures.

EDITAGE:
Also here is the illumination only model as seen in the game.

185888-albums6426-picture76226.jpg

Last edited:
Level 17
Yeah, it is not as much about the shadows as it is about the light. I was playing with the idea of using slightly darker textures and additive light maps instead of shadow maps for making shadows.
Though the problem is that the shadows may be too light, or when you make the base too dark it won't look right even after brightened with additive.

Both additive and alpha modes have a tendency to wash out things. That would be my biggest complaint about wc3 engine actually, the generally low color range.
The fact that it looks really washed out especially with fog, which I as a result use none. (and also because ENB is incompatible with fog)

Though the ENB setup I use does have a ton of color correction with HDR and gives me complete control over the color and color range so I'm fine with that.
It is one of the less taxing features so I will supply it as the lowest default setting of the shaders.

Also, I was checking some of The last of Us screens and I'd bet they made their climbing foliage the same way too. As in using a procedural generation and then doing a projection on flat textures.

EDITAGE:
Also here is the illumination only model as seen in the game.

185888-albums6426-picture76226.jpg

Bump:
Finally weekend ! And finally time to keep working. I have been brainstorming a bit over the campaign screen but still can't come up with what I'd like to put there.

Also, still trying to come up with a unified look for the HUD. What would you think about something like this ?
The hotkey displayed in the circle with an action information next to it. I like the form but feel the design is a bit too, "tron" ?

185888-albums6426-picture76391.jpg

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

It isn't too tron at all. Tell me why you did not make this in sc2? I'm just asking, sorry if you've already answered this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
Lol good, thought I may still make it less neon and more grunge.
And here is the last of concept goodies, I think this level of deterioration seems fine. Though I want to add big ass tree trunks wrapping around the buildings and a bunch more trees growing out of the central giant trunk and some vines hanging down off them.
I reckon that would look great on some of the bigger buildings.

Why not SC2 ? Dunno, never really thought of it. I guess it is mostly because I don't have SC2 or any interest in the game, let alone any experience in coding/modeling for it.

185888-albums6426-picture76392.jpg

Level 16
Sexy stuff! I like the way the ivy's turned out, I still haven't really succeeded in making mine, actually, I haven't even had time for them because I jumped in a terraining contest. I don't have anything to say about the interface except that I like it.

With your skill you really should try SC2 because the engine does a lot more and it turned out that it's similar to warcraft 3 in more ways than one since it looks like the editor was made from the same recipe. I actually tried it and it seemed to me like a wc3 with better graphics and features, at least that was my impression. It's easier and at the same time it's harder because we kinda teached ourselves to make the best out of the minimum wc3 has to offer, while having powerful tools you might notice that it's not as easy to make stuff visually stunning because your not used to it.
Oh, and I think you are going to love the bump and the lighting system, also the water which surprisingly suggest that Blizzard actually learn from us moders to perfect their stuff. I can't even imagine how cool your water would look since you are already a expert on it.

Level 17
Heh, that is just an old ivy texture I made. Ivy gen is great but I had trouble getting a texture of any kind of decent quality from it.
The interface messages are three dimensional, with a bit of faux parallax on the letters and a bunch of animation to make them into a legit HUD system.
The idea is that you could control everything even without a mouse using qwerty, arrow movement would be possible but targetting thrown weapons would be pain in the arse without mouse control scheme so it will still be used for movement and targeting.

About that dunno, I don't think SC2 is an aesthetically pleasing game in particular (read as: Dude I think the game is hideous). I don't quite know what the engine can do but most I have seen looked poor, which may be the cause for my skepticism.
I've seen like two mods that looked nice, one of which is http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/modifications-development-presentation-664/jetcraft-236946/.

Last edited:
Level 16
I don't think SC2 is an aesthetically pleasing game in particular
I'll have to agree on that one but the engine is still better than warcrafts so you can still do stuff like bump and parallax a lot easier plus the dynamic lighting. I noticed that it's missing antialiasing options by the way and it's no god as a fps just like wc3, can you believe that? I still give it a go, game and editor and I somewhat enjoyed the gameplay despite the not so good storyline.

Level 17
Yeah well, the other good looking mod I've seen is project vector which didn't make it very far.
Though I'm sure it would eventually look better, :p but it wouldn't be as much fun working on it.

And a daily bullshot for you ! It still has post-processed flare and dust filter but everything else is now in-game.

185888-albums6426-picture76410.jpg

Level 17
ENB is the way it is meant to be played :p. The way The last of Us really is, is just a bunch of low poly shit models with poor textures concealed by a bunch of screen shaders and impressive illumination with occlusion.

But yeah, it is still gonna look fine IMO. The flares, lighting, dust filters and environmental animation is still gonna be there.
By the way, the illumination as seen on the textured model:
It is still wonky here and there but it is starting to look like that the light actually exists in the world and that is how it will look like without ENB. (as it is just a screen of the model taken from the editor lol)

185888-albums6426-picture76421.jpg

Level 17
Here's a question -> how do you make shadow\light maps work on transparent textures, namly leaves? I found a way but it's not too good!
I kinda don't lol. I don't shade foliage, only things I do is make a bunch of variants in the editor with darker vertex color for darker areas.
And for bigger foliage like trees I also attempt to make volumetric normals because of how poorly the shading works with flat planes.
Though it is awful trying to do so as I have to use mdlvis which I'm really just not fond of.

Level 16
Kinda figured but hoped you'd know! I'll show you something that almost works and of course it can't be missing its problems but I'm not giving up on this because foliage like that would make our environments look even more beautiful, the way they should be looking. I'm using it for ep 2 but it's incomplete and doesn't look too good in some cases.
(It has something to do with color for the modulate material, the problem being the way layers blend.)
Not sure if you know about it.

Loading it here... ----> Wait!

Level 17
This would be so cool if you made Memento Mori with this when it comes out:

WarCom
The few advantages WarCom proposes are cool, but not worth the cost of the extra work of syncing everything with the netcode or of the cost of the persistent server.
Moreover Memento Mori is exclusively a singleplayer mod, unfortunately there is a multitude of reasons why this particular mod won't have multiplayer.

Wa ? xD
Well one way would be to make the foliage from actual mesh. Like that one grass I have there in some of the pics.

Level 17
Indeed, it would certainly be a great setting for a mmo.

Though while not an mmo or using WarCom there will be a multiplayer spin-off, just not quite exactly Memento Mori.
I have no further information about it at this stage, it will have its section in the upcoming thread's OP redesign.

Level 16
@Talavaj

This is unrelated, but where could I learn shader programming?

Where did you learn it? how long does it take?

I have completed general programming course(Its not that deep, consist of Java, Python, C++/C#, each with their own "101 and 142" classes (Beginner and advanced), and I am thinking of trying shader, how hard will it be?

What software do you recommend to start learning them?
What website? and tutorials?

Thanks!

Level 16
Wanted to post this sooner but no time available with no time still!

210613-albums6274-picture76684.jpg

Here's the idea, for transparent textures there's only one way I know of and that is to use a gray color in place of an alpha mask for shadow maps. The gray needs to be not too dark and not to light, somewhere along the middle for the modulate treats it as neutral or transparent. It works but the small pixelated shadow maps pose a problem which is that it overlaps the transparent areas with pixels as big as a house if it's too small. I have a solution for this, by making combinations between the parallax and bump I learned hat wc3 has its own way of thinking when displaying the layers blending there are combinations that work and some that don't so I was thinking to have a transparent layer of the original leaf uvw1 overlap the gray area of the modulate shadowmap uvw2 ins some way. I tried every combination and none work even tried it with priority planes and no effect on the shadowmap. I even tried a transparent with gray modulate to overlap the original but it didn't do jack. The thing is the original leaf alpha would of covered the pixelated shadow map perfectly if it would of worked thus solving the problem.

Solution which does not work

210613-albums6274-picture76683.png

Material is modulate x2 for the shadow map by the way, haven't tried normal modulate actually.

Fails!
210613-albums6274-picture76685.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76686.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76687.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76689.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76690.jpg
And look at this grotesque thing, it's featured in ep 2!
210613-albums6274-picture76694.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76691.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76692.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture76693.jpg

Give it a try mister genius, maybe you can find the actual solution! :thumbs_up:

Level 17
Yeah, figured as much. Though I don't think there is a way to get rid of the black halo on the foliage except if you really went and just made them from geometry.
The lower resolution texture you get the more of the black will bleed into it.

Though I wouldn't worry about it really, foliage is often too small for the shadows to be noticeable.
What I do is I make a couple variants of grass and just make them darker and an extra variant for places that are not entirely in darkness where some grass blades are highlighted and some completely dark used for places like those in under the trees.

One advantage of simply tinting the color is that you can make the grass from dummy units and change their vertex color in real-time for dynamic shadows.

Also sorry for no new information, too much work lately (and even more as we get closer to christmas) that leaves me literally no time for anything at all (as in I get back home to take a shower eat and go to bed)

But, laala what ?

185888-albums6426-picture76563.png

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Will Vanitas Vanitatum be the next chapter?

The logo looks epic :) Nice work!

Level 17
It is the exact script I used yeah, as my have been suggested by the line describing the picture.
It is great for renders but awful for real-time usage unfortunately, just the ivy on the pic had like 700,000 polys if I remember correctly.

You may as well make your own mesh because of how much optimization would be required. Though you can bake a texture out of it I guess.
Apart from that it is also good for simulating how the vines could grow, so you don't have to worry about designing the growth yourself.
You can projection bake the ivy on a bunch of simpler planes but the texture size would have to be bigger than what wc3 allows for it to be any good.

But honestly, a scatter brush in photoshop works just as well for making texture of leaves.

Level 16
Hei Tal! Look at the ground and the rocks, how they look in fog! notice the difference between the 2?
210613-albums7012-picture77651.jpg

210613-albums7012-picture77650.jpg

The ground has a small touch of my bump with 2 alpha masks while the rocks only have the shadow map shading. Noticed it just now, seems that the alpha mask acts as a layer that influences the fog over the other shadow layers, also seems a little more specular or extra ambient in fog which means it may need one more layer and you can say goodbye to the fog problem with shadow maps. Wish it would work but I'm going to try!

Level 16
So you don't use it at all?

It would be nice if it work, would make things a lot easier for me and unfortunately in my cinematic I have go with the wc3 fog regardless of the tricks I use, they just aren't enough. So if it works it's going to be one leap for "mankind again"... Yahoo! I think all it needs is a white or another mask layer over all of them maybe it normalizes the effect in the fog and add a priority plane or something also, might even fix the leaves problem. Seeing how it looks with the alfa mask it should work, "in theory"!

So what are you scheming for your project lately anyhow?

Level 17
I'm regretfully announcing that my project has recently suffered a major setback.

While returning from my trip from Athens this Tuesday, I was crushed to find out that my baggage, which was simply "forgotten" to be checked for the connecting flight by the airline and had to arrive in a later flight that day, was broken into and my laptop together with its charger was gone without a trace.
Despite my effort to hold the airline liable for my damage and supplying the full required documentation for my legal claim report, they have successfully avoided any and all action to this point by simply claiming they are not responsible for any loss of "valuable" property contained within their checked baggage.
Guess it is my fault for being a naive doofus believing I would not be robbed that one time when my carry-on luggage exceeds the weight limit and has to be checked in.

It is a crushing loss for me, not only because both of my projects suffered a major setback due to most of the latest work (including pretty much the entire environmental pack of S&S and nearly 4 months of effort on Memento Mori) being gone but also because the laptop was pretty much my only means of communicating with my girlfriend and my only means of putting money in my pockets.

I'm not the richest person in the world, and my laptop has really been the only valuable thing I have purchased in the past two years.
I went to Athens to meet with this amazing girl that I have met online and have been seeing for over 3 years now.
It is that much more saddening because of my situation, and because of the audacity the crime was committed with.
Sometimes it just makes you think the most awful things really only happen to the common people, haha !

Despite these unfortunate events, the work on my projects is still gonna continue and hopefully we will see even greater results coming out of this loss !
I only ask for understanding, given that I won't be able to fund a new workplace anytime soon, though I will be moving my desktop so I can resume swiftly.

Shall my experience serve as a warning for any of you,your acquaintances or your family who consider flying with Air Serbia (or any other carrier really), or consider having their baggage handled at Nikola Tesla Airport in Belgrade; Serbia, where the theft most likely took place as it was not a work of an individual but a planned crime that requires more than just one person involved. (as my baggage was inexplicably left there without being connected for the next flight)
That it takes only a single valuable thing in your checked baggage for you to get definitely robbed.

Actually I don't. I don't like the fog, it looks meh and washes out even the little bit of color/saturation/contrast that the game has left. If anything I'd rather use my own doodads.
Not to mention it does not seem to work with ENB properly, sometimes at all. I assume it overrides the default direct 3d shading the game has which also contains the fog and when it actually works it is ruined by ambient occlusion which shows through.

So what are you scheming for your project lately anyhow?
Nothing much until about 7th january unfortunately, it is when I'll be coming back from my vacation hopefully.
These two weeks (much of the december actually) have been too hectic to achieve any tangible progress really.
Apart from quitting my job I also had to take care of the trip arrangements myself, given how I laughed the travel agency out after they came up with nearly a €1k price point for my target destination (which I managed to get for nearly half of that price when booking crap on my own)
So yeah, I'm too distracted to fully focus on work right now lol.

Though, there was some progress on my further S&S pack and some other tiny lil project of my own (which we may see sometime in the future maybe) because they don't require such heavy commitment.

As such I apologize for the lack of updates this month. They will resume shortly !

Last edited:
Level 11
You seem to be such a nice, educated fellow (helpful too) and something like this happening to you is unfortunate indeed. I've been living on my own for some years now and I can understand how you must be feeling. Being cash strapped can set one back. I hope you recover soon. Don't know what else to say I don't live in Europe and don't know about flight laws there. Wish I could be of any help to you...good luck!

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Really sorry to hear that Talavaj, it's very painful to watch all your work go to waste like that, I know. Btw, it's not only in Serbia, here in Bulgaria, a friend's sister sent her a tablet and it just didn't reach it's destination. Nobody knows where it is. . . .as if.

Level 17
It is everywhere like that really, I was just really unfortunate my baggage was handled by a bunch of thieves just that one time when I checked my laptop in.
I had only one piece of baggage and it got just a bit over the carry-on limit so I was forced to check it in on my way back.
I wasn't really expecting anything to happen to it lol, silly me trusting in people not being scum nowadays !
Why wouldn't they be though ? When they know the airline, or anybody for that matter is not going to be doing anything about it.

It was just the blatant rudeness of the act and of the airline that really struck me.
You can't really trust anybody nowadays. I'm just too nice of a person I guess :p

Either way, it just means I can make even better stuff now :p that the older is gone.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I really envy as well as admire your optimism. It's something rarely seen nowadays. At any rate, you know how the saying goes: "some doors close, others open"

Status
Not open for further replies.