1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] Memento Mori

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Talavaj, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Lost in the Light - Memento Mori

[​IMG]
    The project is currently undergoing a major overhaul and will be reintroduced in near future.
    Thank you for your continued support, stay tuned !

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Holy crap graphics.
    What did you do? Warcraft 3 does not support such features. How?
    Did you modify source code?

3. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It is ENB series by Boris Vorontsov with adjusted settings (with some help from the creator himself) for wc3, it contains ambient occlusion and depth of field among other things.
    The assets are made by me, shadows are made by the use of simple shadow maps overlaid on mesh with modulate blending.
    Obviously, with ENB series alone you will only get the depth of field and ambient occlusion, shadows and other materials will be parts of the models themselves.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Nice name.

From Gundam 00

5. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    This is such and interesting project, +REP and good luck!

6. HOooDy

HOooDy

Resources:
    Resources:
    What Memento Mori Means in English ? & Please add some screenies i know your an terrainer ;)

7. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Finally Something came out in the sunlight. I'll be sure to check this out. I also made a little discovery which I want to discuss with you when I have time and perhaps you can share some of your graphic secrets with me if you want to of course. I want a better quality in my cinematics.

8. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Memento Mori is old latin for "Remember that you will die" it is symbolic of the inevitability of death and the superficiality of earthly riches.
    It symbolizes that everything even things of rich value or people of high rank will once perish in the same manner as everything else.
    It is a recurring theme of the mod, hence the name.

I'm currently working on the assets, which is a fairly time consuming process. I'll be documenting the development process for those who are interested. (while hiding it under "HIDDEN" tags for those who would not like to have it spoiled)
    Depending on the development I may look for the help of a triggerer or an extra artist to speed it up.

Also can't wait, Toby.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    oh sorry,misunderstood :D

Memento Mori is an orbital weapon. :D

10. HOooDy

HOooDy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ahhh.. I know that orbital weapon that can destroy cities and base and destroyed by The Celestial Being :))

11. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    2 times destroyed by Celestial Beings :D

12. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well, made some progress today (finished wraps on some tools and weapons such as the Ruger in the OP) and just started modelling the convenience store. It is one of the first locations players will go to in the prologue.
    It is a multi-storey building with living apartments above it, you will be able to see the upper floors through a huge hole in the ceiling that opened when the staircase from the upper floors came crashing down but you won't be able to get in there.
    There will be a puddle from rainwater at where the falling rubble made a huge hole in the flooring and vegetation spreading from there stretching over the whole building.

Also I wondered if anybody had any ideas about combat. The camera makes it awkward to incorporate regular wc3 combat so I was thinking of something more scripted along the lines of V.A.T.S. from Fallout 3 except it would be real time and selecting body parts would not pause the game so that it would not clash with the survival aspect of the mod making it more effective to take your time "aiming" while concealed in shadows.
    How about that ?

*also those weird black square thingys on the screens is glass, max does not support wc3 texture transparency obviously.*
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I found out that your description and models are somewhat similar to Requiem.

Are a team member? :D

btw,nice model + rep

14. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Models in requiem are made by industry veterans from Square Enix, GSC Game World (Vostok Games) and maybe other studios, I don't have that much experience with game art sadly.
    And nope I'm not affiliated with Requiem or its Creator.

I'll see about releasing models in the future. If anything, separate doodads (or packs) may make it out at least for terraining purposes.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  15. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I mean that Requiem project here in THW :D

Your models are very HQ :D

16. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah I know what you mean, most of Requiem's models are imports from other games, they were made by professional studios not by the mod's creator.

Update:
    Got around nearly finishing model of the convenience store, now only some detail work left (making holes and wear in the building, for trees and foliage to grow through and polish the interior) and then it can be fitted with the rest of the doodads and made into a playable area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I was wondering, would people prefer small periodic updates or irregular updates on a lot larger scale ?

17. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Wow,nice model :D

+ rep again

18. HOooDy

HOooDy

Resources:
    Resources:
    "B - Work on assets, - Terrain!"

Do you need terrainer ? How about Me ?

19. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It's meant as in actual work on the models themselves, the ones that will be used for the terrain.
    There won't be much of the actual "terraining" because of certain features I use that prefer big "chunk" models that come with all the doodads already arranged in them. (think, a whole building or a street being a single model)
    Why is it like that and what advantages does it offer may be covered in the future in a dev diary video.
    But if the need arises I will most certainly consider your offer ;)

To give a general idea of what kind of environment I'm aiming for is something like: [​IMG]
    Except much more sinister and buildings a lot more decrepit. With lots of water running down the streets and from atop the buildings.
    Not as many (if any) of the business skyscrapers but very tall real estate buildings will be present.
    Although the scale will be majestic, the environment is not supposed to be a spectacle like the one on the drawing. The towering shadows are intended to strike fear and unease when you imagine what everything may be lurking in them.
    (referenced pic is property of Andree Wallin)

Also, if there are any fans of the survival/horror (or just survival OR horror)/post apo genre, I'd gladly accept any recommendations you have of works that might be a good source of inspiration. (movies, games etc)
    Likewise, your ideas and expectations of what would be cool in a survival game, what would you expect from it, what are the things that should be focused upon etc. is all welcome !

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  20. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I started reading most of what you say but I`m not yet convinced how the features work, I'll have to request some samples the depth of field and ambient occlusion, shadows and other materials are in my interest.