• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[HF] Talavaj's Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hey you hive boogers ! Talavaj here, you may know my two hive projects Memento Mori and Stone & Sword.
I just decided to create a small WIP thread here for other stuffs that I do which is not necessarily related to my wc3 projects.
You can still get the relevant updates in the two aforementioned threads (although stuff about MM is going to be in here because the main thread is now deprecated)

I'm currently working on Unity, MM as well as S&S. I may end up helping out on an indie project which is currently shooting for a kickstarter.
And because I make a bunch of random stuff I may as well post it here.

Memento Mori art :
185888-albums6426-picture95194.png

185888-albums6426-picture95195.png

Tools and items that I'm currently working on:
It is all items from Memento Mori but the source models will also be for download at Unity 3D asset store as well as UDK marketplace.
Sketchfab doesn't work on the hive it seems, but you can follow this link to see them in 3D in your browser:
[UH] Tools of Survival - WIP by Talavaj on Sketchfab

185888-albums6426-picture99138.jpg

185888-albums6426-picture99139.jpg

185888-albums6426-picture99140.jpg

Bunch of old medieval junk that I recently released:
Same deal, no sketchfab:
[Stone&Sword] Medieval Smithy Set by Talavaj on Sketchfab

185888-albums6426-picture99141.jpg

185888-albums6426-picture99142.jpg

Last edited:
Level 17
I'm dabbling into some physically-based rendering now that Unity 5 supports it (and obviously UDK) but my texturing workflow is too shit.
I would generally paint and make the normals in Mudbox with a combination of hand painting and stock textures but it isn't good enough for PBR in the case of these recent models.

This is the baseball bat model made via my regular workflow in mudbox but it doesn't look too impressive.
So I decided to give Quixel Suite a try and do some procedural texturing with dDO to see how that goes, there is also Substance Designer but it is too expensive and doesn't seem to do much more than what dDO already does.
I'll report some tests shortly.

185888-albums6426-picture99231.jpg

Level 17
Lol, thanks !
For now I will be fine with making enough money on Unity to buy me bread :p

As for them petals, yeah probably because of the normal map. It is only one-sided polygon though.
I kinda wanted it that way because I wanted to give it this fluffy satin look that rose petals usually have. But the way materials work it is difficult to make things look not plastic, I guess it would have to take subsurface scattering or something, which isn't really an option in most situations.

Also, PBR in Unity is shit. Boggles my mind they can't get the basic features of their engine right in years. Almost as if they are deliberately making the defaults crap so people go to the marketplace and buy real shaders ... lol.

Level 12
Awesome models. If you have time, a small section in your projects (the memento mori and stone & sword ones) of how you create such awesome resources for wc3 would be cool :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.