• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Medieval Realms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
1.29.1 is supposed to be able to fix it.
Ikr... It definately improved a lot of things... maybe the triggers for vJASS got reworked or something...
AT LEAST it still runs in wc3... I just have to tick JASS Helper off and it saves fine. phew...

Let's just hope everything turns out well ^^ I know how broken coding can be tedious, just take time in creating this masterpiece. Also! Hope the new job is something you are enjoying!
Yeah, hoping for the best and a new patch with hotfixes soon. Haha, a masterpiece indeed.
Yeah, the new job is great. Hours aren't long and the pay is great + tips. Gonna be able to save for a new computer soon ^_^.

Level 11
RELEASE NOW!!!
I apologize for the long wait - life have been crazy lately between work, family and my work out routine... most of my free time is going towards unwinding my stress.
Hopefully late May, June, and July - I'll have a bit more free time to finish it up... This project is very close to being done but it's still a lot to do since it's just me.
Please have patience, this new experience will be worth the wait :)

Level 11
I'm back! Quit my job and until my next one begins, I'm revisiting this project for a couple weeks and hopefully I make some actual progress. Here's an almost finished terrain section for one player's region. To the top left you can see the minimap to get a sense of scale.
Please feel free to critique. I was trying to get a feel for European landscape with a good mix of mountains, forests and rivers. The layout is 4v4 North vs South - each player has their own region linked with walkable shores and a small unused region in the middle with extra resources. Also updated the to-do list.
To all you who have patiently waited, I can at least post a single player test map where you could build up your town and gather all resources, make farms etc.

auMXGp9.jpg

Last edited:
Level 11
Object Editor Unit Stats are almost done...
Doing combat stats today.
Melee combat is mostly unchanged, aside from the custom damage/defense types. Although, all military units will have abilities based on their weapon type to keep things interesting.
Ranged combat will be realistic - all ranged units use artillery based damage so that they have a chance of missing moving targets. Ranged projectiles also travel much farther compared to other games.
Ranged units will use a 10 - 1 ratio (10 wc3 range stat - 1 actual weapon range in yards). Medieval bows have a potential of up to 200-300+ yards (depending on quality), crossbows 150-200, javelin 50-75, and sling 175-250... tried to find good sources for the weapon ranges but there's a lot of conflicting info, especially for the sling. If anybody would happen to find a good source please post.
Cavalry is done a bit different not so much with combat but with overall gameplay. Certain units will be able to learn Horsemanship, then they'll be able to mount a horse to form a merged unit, then dismount as needed to split units again (works like mount hippogryph).

Last edited:
Level 7
Glad to see you back on this Umbra, sorry to hear about work though. Hope you get another job soon.

I have to point something out though, you may want to rething artilery-based archers. Reason behind that is the AoE attacks that will require spot on precission to actually hit - the probability of hitting multiple people at once, and the end of one's life being splat instead of the classic death animation.

What I do recommend is quite possibly a spell approach. Attacking auto-triggers an aoe spell like rocket clusters, but instead of a rocket - it's arrows being shot intoo a random point of an aoe. I think this would be way more efficient? someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Aditionally, you can rework the shields to work as some form of spell resistance - whereas artilery arrows, when hitting shielded infantry, ignore the shielding chance (So that's also a great difference)

Level 11
Glad to see you back on this Umbra, sorry to hear about work though. Hope you get another job soon.

I have to point something out though, you may want to rething artilery-based archers. Reason behind that is the AoE attacks that will require spot on precission to actually hit - the probability of hitting multiple people at once, and the end of one's life being splat instead of the classic death animation.

What I do recommend is quite possibly a spell approach. Attacking auto-triggers an aoe spell like rocket clusters, but instead of a rocket - it's arrows being shot intoo a random point of an aoe. I think this would be way more efficient? someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Aditionally, you can rework the shields to work as some form of spell resistance - whereas artilery arrows, when hitting shielded infantry, ignore the shielding chance (So that's also a great difference)
Thanks for the feedback. Oh, splat death animation ?? yikes, totally forgot about that... Maybe with triggers, that can be fixed.
Ohh right spell based would be great but that would break too many other features like random damage amount and the unit's animation... I'm sure there's ways around it but it sounds time intensive. I may have to put it on the shelf for now and stick with homing missiles.
I really do like the idea though - it would also limit ammunition. If there's a tutorial for it somewhere please link me.

Also, do you know if the splat animation is dependent on the model? All my models are imported so I could simply remove splat animation from the model.

Dam, just tested it and the model size jumped up for the splat - looks terrible lol.

Last edited:

ISL

ISL

Level 13
You might use a damage detection system to get whatever effect you want
Yes, triggers.

I used Bribe's Damage Engine to make something like this in the past
full
I had total control over both the moment when the arrow is shot and the moment where it hits, and it also did consume mana to trigger.

Then there's this
full
Also a work of mine; It uses artillery-based attacks, yet, it doesn't cause units to explode. The damage is dealt by the dragon and not the dummy unit who launches the projectile.

I could actually write a system for you if you'd like :)
I'd be glad to help you! :D

Level 11
You might use a damage detection system to get whatever effect you want
Yes, triggers.

I used Bribe's Damage Engine to make something like this in the past
full
I had total control over both the moment when the arrow is shot and the moment where it hits, and it also did consume mana to trigger.

Then there's this
full
Also a work of mine; It uses artillery-based attacks, yet, it doesn't cause units to explode. The damage is dealt by the dragon and not the dummy unit who launches the projectile.

I could actually write a system for you if you'd like :)
I'd be glad to help you! :D
Wowww this looks good. You are too kind! Thanks, I would love the help.
Would your system also work with fire arrows, siege weapons and fire based siege projectiles? Something like an oil pot that explodes upon impact and leaving a burning oil effect for a minute.
Bonus would be an Ignite ability that triggers when fire abilities impact a structure.
Let me know if I can help in any way, I'll send you a pastebin link soon.

ISL

ISL

Level 13
Wowww this looks good. You are too kind! Thanks, I would love the help.
Would your system also work with fire arrows, siege weapons and fire based siege projectiles? Something like an oil pot that explodes upon impact and leaving a burning oil effect for a minute.
Bonus would be an Ignite ability that triggers when fire abilities impact a structure.
Let me know if I can help in any way, I'll send you a pastebin link soon.
Write all the ideas and concepts that you'd like to see in your game on a list and send it to me
Then I'll see what I can do :)

ISL

ISL

Level 13
if each archer uses that Dragon attack
Archers with dragon attacks? :D
No, each ability functions correctly when multiple instances are active

In case of dummy units overpopulating the map, they are created for the Neutral Passive player, so they won't bug the AI
They are still indexed, however.

Level 11
Alright, making good progress. Combat stats are done, abilities for the most part are also done... just need to add requirements for a progressive techtree, link some upgrades, and finish descriptions (which will be short and simple for now to save time).
Object editor data will be ready for an alpha test map by this weekend... then I just have to finish up terrain and a few other loose ends which shouldn't take long.
Also postponed a lot of stuff that should get done for alpha in my To-Do list post. It would be nice to have extra features & other minor bug fixes however all core gameplay features will be fine so it will still be a fun experience and the map will be releases soon.

Last edited:
Level 11
Update: Got delayed, worked on some graphic design commissions, ran into some complications + the holiday & family.

WEX stopped working, plus the map was started on NewGen… A lot of my mountains have extreme elevation changes that the current editor doesn't allow for - once I edit any nearby terrain there's a chain reaction that affects all nearby mountains within a 2000 (in game range) radius. I tried finding a method of reverting to an older patch to get it done but I couldn't find it on my searches - I know its out there though if anyone can send me a link. Also would there be any set backs from doing so? I heard a lot internal coding has changed, so maybe that would impact potential crashes/bugs. Let me know!

For now I'm leaving mountains already made as they are - other mountains won't be as tall for now... for the most part other than some elevation changes everything else should be fine... hope I also don't run into a destructible limit with trees lol.

Level 11
Hey everybody, hope you all had great holidays. Went away traveling for a bit and got busy again with a new job but I've still been chipping away at the map... soon.

Also I can host maps now :D - let's organize some testing times soon. Even though the map isn't 100% ready for release, we could at least do some testing as it's still playable. Let me know when you're available here or PM me.

Level 11
Well, nobody posted in forums about the bug lol... I'll be touching up the terrain and wait a couple more days - I'll probably just place some of the missing sold items in each player's starting location. Should be playable although for late game it may not be enough, we'll see with testing soon.
Thanks to everybody who's still interested, the wait is just about over... finally :)

Level 11
Hey Umbra, hope things are going well! I was curious about the current state of development, I'm dying to see the map. Have you thought of creating a Discord?
Hey, got busy this week sorry late reply. Everything is well, have a new great job.
The map is just about done - been touching up the terrain here and there while I await a fix on this item's sold bug... nobody has replied though :(. I think I may just have to leave some items in the starting area so it's at least playable for now and I'll fix it later.
This weekend it's probably being released :)

Level 7
Wicked awesome. I'll be expecting a lot when it's set up! Though I do have concerns on walkable walls. I hope having dozens of units upon them doesn't cause heavy frame drops.
Meanwhile! I'm really glad you've got a great new job! life can be pretty exhausting when you're stuck with something you aren't enjoying

Level 11
Wicked awesome. I'll be expecting a lot when it's set up! Though I do have concerns on walkable walls. I hope having dozens of units upon them doesn't cause heavy frame drops.
Meanwhile! I'm really glad you've got a great new job! life can be pretty exhausting when you're stuck with something you aren't enjoying
Yesss it's a loooot. Maybe for late game when there are 1000 units in-game that could happen...
Me too, excited about my new job. Same position as a massage therapist but in a more upscale location - I'm making almost double what I made at my last job.
Wooo! Someone finally gave me a bug fix for the missing items. Gotta make a simple trigger and it should be fine. This weekend sometime Sunday I hope :)

Level 11
Alright, 99% ready. Items are good to go! Terrain needs a few more touch ups though... it's still pretty rough for my standards but it works. Part of that touch up is a pathing map + blockers for mountains. Taking a bit cause its a 480x480 map.
This weekend for sure... If anybody wants though, I'll post a test map where you can sandbox, harvest resources and build a city in single player until the remaining things are finished.

Level 7
I'd actually like that, I'm dying to test it out and have a brief session with a couple of friends. I do hope you fix some heroes such as 'builder' by making a limit to how many you can create. 5-6 Builders can decimate an army and the elites hidden within lol (This was something I wanted to point out back in Pre-Alpha)

Level 11
I'd actually like that, I'm dying to test it out and have a brief session with a couple of friends. I do hope you fix some heroes such as 'builder' by making a limit to how many you can create. 5-6 Builders can decimate an army and the elites hidden within lol (This was something I wanted to point out back in Pre-Alpha)
I actually still need to do a trigger to limit heroes LOL... I'll PM you a DL link later today :)

Level 11
Lol that trigger for the item fix didn't work... well, I'm just going to add some to the starting areas and it'll be alright for now. Terrain still has a little bit to go. Thanks for sticking around everybody!

Also does anyone know how to use Jass NewGen or unlock unlimited elevations in the WE some other way?

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
tested the Test Version.

First of all, I'm impressed. The scope of the map is huge. I like the building system, the gathering system and the different building models. The walkable walls are quite a feat as well, and I once tried (and failed) making a similar system - so I know how difficult it can be to make.

Now for my criticism:
The tech trees are confusing and unclear unless you know the map already. Which building for which upgrade is really hard to figure out. I'd say a combination of simplifying this system and more/better tooltips would help a lot to make the game feel not overly complex.
-Please add some custom music, the map really deserves it.
-Please add portraits to all units. It looks WIP'ish when you have units with no portrait (i.e. random cameras as portrait).
-Walls take up 2 spaces, but can be build within one space of each other resulting in putting 2 in the same spot for each side.
-Terrain needs to be improved to not be confusing. At the moment, cause most uses the same texture, it can be hard to keep track of your/units location(s).

Keep up the great job, these are merely constructive feedback to an impressive test version!

Last edited:
Level 7
So, the first thing I've noticed while testing; some buildings can't be clicked on, and thus cannot be constructed unless you have another building being constructed nearby. You should make the ability 'construct' something akin to an aoe ability - in this way, it would pick a random building within a trigger's aoe as something that the worker will focus on constructing. This way, you don't have to deal with random dummy units as means of targetting.

Another notice - Adding a ladder to palisade reduces wall hp from 400 to 25 - making it extremely vulnerable (This is considered a bug)
Edit : Actually, never mind. The Palisade ladder's death doesn't show the death of the building itself, pardon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.