1. Are you planning to upload your awesome tool to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 9, 2018: The rules for the Tool Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Matrix Eater 3D Model Editor

Submitted by Retera
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
The Matrix Eater

With support from the community, I've been working on this tool for years. More so, I became a user of it, much to the dismay of the people who asked for the best and brightest features, because I have hardly added any features in favor of just using the program how it is.

What does the Matrix Eater do?

You can think of the Matrix Eater as an alternative to Magos's Model Editor or MdlVis, but I usually use all three of them in conjunction.

The Matrix Eater is visually like a multi-geoset version of Oinkerwinkle's Vertex Modifier from years ago, but it has the purple icon on the View Controller window which lets you move and edit Pivot Points also.

In addition, if you do Tools > Mirror and mirror a selection that includes pivot points, it will mirror the animation data. So you can make a Portrait model that faces the opposite way, or something, and still animates correctly.

The program understands the MDL format in its entirely, and has support for MDX that is newer and slightly less tested. If it spits out a broken MDX, then save as MDL and convert to MDX using other software. It can do this for you, if you go to View -> Use Native MDX Parser and turn it off, then it uses MDLX converter instead of its own code to convert to and from MDX ( so it's less likely to have any bugs ).

If you use File -> Import it can be like magic and do what you need, or break things. This new version includes pictures along with names to try to show you what part of the model you're looking at. The general idea is that it takes literally everything from a new model, dumps that into the interface alongside the model you already have open, and gives you choices of how to combine them and which new components to include. You can mash "leave all" a bunch and only include an attachment point, or you can import a grunt onto a dragon complete with animations and have an animated orc dragon rider. You just have to micromanage the little buttons and tell the pelvis of the grunt, and everything below it, to attach to the dragon's main body root.

Which version is this?

This is the official upload of the latest version of the Matrix Eater.

If there is anyone using an older version of the Matrix Eater, please stop using it and use this one. Until now, the program was only shared on forums here and there from links which were often broken and pointing to outdated versions.

If this one cannot do what an old version does, please comment on this upload and tell me why so I can fix it.

I really wanted to revamp this program and add new features and write a tutorial before I uploaded it onto the Hive, but I just haven't had time recently, and I want to stop sitting on this updated version because it has several internal fixes that should make it less likely to save buggy MDX models and so I feel the community deserves this new version in case anybody is using the program -- regardless of whether I end up getting the time to improve it to match up with my dreams or not.

I didn't check the box for Linux because I haven't tested it on there for a while, but if you're a Linux user and you want to run it on Linux, just run the JAR. Theoretically it should work, if you have a Warcraft install folder on the linux machine. I've tested that before and it seemed to work.

The real source code the program on Github is this Eclipse workspace:
GitHub - Retera/JWC3: Retera's Java WC3 libraries.

There is a similar one but it is way older and out of date.
Contents

Matrix Eater 3D Model Editor (Binary)

Reviews
eejin
A great tool for editing meshes and animations. There is a lot of functionality there and this tool surely makes editing models a lot easier! Having an undo option in the UV editor would be nice. The program also gives an error that it is missing...
  1. yxq1122

yxq1122

Resources:
    Resources:
    Matrix Eater, a great 3D modeling software for wc3. I am glad to see the new update of it.

Now I have some suggestions in order to make it to be more perfect, because I love it so much.

Suggestions: The user interface of menus can be polished or standardized. "Recent" should be "Recent files", and should be placed under "File" menu as a submenu. "Add" should be placed under "Edit" menu as submenu. Furthermore, hot keys can be considered to add for the menus. For example, caption "File" is converted to be "&File". An "Exit" submenu should be added under the "File" menu.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. T.Nick

T.Nick

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    An amazing and very useful tool. Allows for some good shenanigans with models. Can't wait for further updates and fixes!

3. xknight9x

xknight9x

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've been transferring animation the hard way before. Now, everything is just a piece of cake..saving a lot of time..looking forward for more features later :)

4. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Resources:
    Resources:
    Can it transfer to specific animation? And can it transfer only some bones?

I’m thinking to have a dummy unit that I can animate and export animation to the actuall model. Really lazy to do IK rigging all the time. And I really like animating

5. Legacy18

Legacy18

Resources:
    Resources:
    This tool is probably the best mod ever.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  6. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Idaero Ace Yes, it should be able to do all of that, if you click the correct buttons.

Here is a video where I combine Matrix Eater and Disarm to do *fast* transfer of a single animation:

Here is a video where I play with importing 1 arm's bone animation into a different model:

This video begins to drag on a after the initial arm animation transfer. I ramble a bit, and try to transfer the arm 3 or 4 more times into the same model to get it right. If you do not follow that part, just try to understand the first import.

Here is an older video where I transfer an animation from a Furbolg to a Beastmaster, despite their different bone structures:

This video shows what is possible but involves a lot of extra clicking.

Here is a video of how to make Furion have "Stand Alternate" and other "Alternate" animations, where Furion becomes a Wildkin in the alternate animations:

When I start my import in this video, I said that the first Geosets tab contains "Animation datas" but actually meant to say "Mesh data". Clearly the second tab, labeled "Animation" is the one with Animation data.

Here is a video of adding "Bird Form" Alternate animation set from Medivh into the Paladin:

Some of these videos appear to feature different Matrix Eater GUIs that look different from the real Matrix Eater. Don't let that slow you down. I have been playing with experimental versions over the years, and I need to finish them and do a release. The version you can download here should still be able to do all of the stuff shown in these videos. Most of my recent work has been attempts to combine features from Mdlvis and Magos to get to a point of unification where I can work out of one single program; but that goal is not reached yet.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  7. Himperion

Himperion

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hello, i got this error lately on this model, the model is editable, but i can't import from other files, because it never open the archives.

Attached Files:

8. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I can't seem to get the program to load my custom textures, any clue why? It just shows the grey surface view no matter what I do. I can't make it view my custom textures in the editor view? I can only make it show it during the UV wrapping, but that does not help me at all. Also any way to set the coordinates rather than dragging them?

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I believe it uses the MPQs that came with earlier versions of Wc3; have you updated already & where is Matrix Eater located?

10. Legacy18

Legacy18

Resources:
    Resources:
    the animation test of ME doesn't work.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    That feature was only a placeholder in earlier versions of ME; he's working on a newer version that actually has a working Animation viewer (courtesy of GhostWolf).

12. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Do the MPQ locations really matter if I am using custom texture file? Also, I did try to configure the 'installation folder' to my MPQ folders but it has no effect at all.

13. Himperion

Himperion

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ok, after suffering from several headaches i got how to deal with my Init.gl. Is the same than MDLVIS using a custom directory with the MPQ archives instead of War3.

@Remixer What about this, copy your custom textures into the Folder with your mpq files. Is worth of a try.

14. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well, perhaps so, but I already found a smoother solution. Just using the .obj file synergy and doing the actual models with Blender. A lot more convenient texture wrapping as long as I am not using Warcraft MPQs. Not sure how far this goes in terms of animation transfer and so on, but so far shapes seem to be transferred just perfectly with very little work.

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ah sorry, didn't catch you were using custom textures.

16. Clanzion

Clanzion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Are your custom textures placed in the same folder structure as its path?

17. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    What do you mean? I have a folder named 'WC3 Things" that contains models, textures and whatever tools I use, but the program won't take any folder up.

18. Clanzion

Clanzion

Resources:
    Resources:
    What I meant was that if the texture path is Abilities\whatever\filename.blp then the folder path that contains your texture must also be Abilities\whatever.

19. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'm using a custom texture for a custom made model (if I make a box I can't make it have the texture I made).

20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    In any model (custom or not), the model itself most know where to look to find the texture(s) (custom or not). It does this with a filepath for each texture.

If your model is working fine in-game or in the World Editor, then this means it's doing that "texture filepath look-up" successfully.

Simply open your model in Magos & open the Texture Editor: it should contain a full list of all the textures used, & their (correct?) filepath. While the in-game textures will likely have the whole nine yards (e.g. "Abilities\Spells\Orcs\Shaman\Bloodlust.blp", or "Textures\HeroMountainKing.blp"), often custom textures will not have a filepath & simply need to be "right next to" the custom model (i.e. in the same exact folder as the model); in which case the filepath will simply be "YOURCUSTOMTEXTURE.blp".

Does that help?