• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mathias Chronicles I - The Pursuit

mathiaslogo-png.351451

matbuttonhaul1-png.373325

A single-player campaign based on Savage Potato's classic series of the same name.
Set during the events of the Third War, the story follows the illegitimate son of King
Terenas and his desperate big to prove he is worthy of the crown. Will he succeed?

The campaign was remade from the ground up, featuring new models, sounds and
music using patch 1.27 as I presumed it was the most stable at the time. Countless
hours were spent updating every element in this near-forgotten classic. Enjoy!

matborder-png.373331

mathiasprev-jpg.351452

matbanner-jpg.351454

matbuttonhaul2-png.373326

shot1-jpg.351480

shot6-jpg.351479

shot13-jpg.351471

shot3-jpg.351473

shot4-jpg.351474

shot2-jpg.351478

shot14-jpg.351481

shot15-jpg.351469

shot12-jpg.351468

shot11-jpg.351467

matbuttonhaul3-png.373327

- Moved a doodad which blocked players from reaching an item dropped by a critter in the first level.
- Hid a duplicate Troll Warlord that appears in one cutscene.
- Tweaked item cooldowns which were mismatched from their effects.
- In "Lord Pickett's Charge", you get a small reward after rescuing Kel'Zarach. Dialogue was slightly tweaked too.
- In "Clash at Cobden's Ridge", dialogue in scene when Larissa returns to the base, and Kel'Zarach's meeting were edited.
- Removed Goblin Laboratory and a neutral Sapper in the enemy's base.
- Changed Kel'Zarach's portrait and the model of Granthar the Ogre Lord.
- Tweaked Sorcerer's description on Fire Elemental.
- Firebolt spell no longer can attack friendly units.
- Added classic portrait to Skeletal Orc.
- Tweaked Condemn's spell description.
- In "Crossing the Waimak", removed excess Peons.
- In "Chain of Fools", tweaked opening dialogue, and the cemetery scene with Kel'Zarach and Kel'Thuzad.
- In "Stone Hammer, Ice Axe", removed 'ping' in dragon quest, also added abilities to Dougal.
- Had 'Cloud' researched by default in the level.
- In "Shadow of the Reaper", changed the main quest to 'Defeat Warchief Malakai'.
- Tweaked ending's cameras so they don't clip through certain doodads.
- Special thanks to tulee and waredcraft for suggestions and bug fixes.

- Updated campaign's HIVE profile page

- Increased number of enemies when enemy AI attacks
- Fixed missing doodads
- Fixed minor camera issues during cutscenes
- Other minor tweaks

- Released

matbuttonhaul4-png.373328

This campaign was made with Warcraft III patch 1.27.
There is a known crash when loading the epilogue "The True King" right after
completing the previous level, "Shadow of the Reaper". The best way to avoid
this error is to quit after the victory screen and load the epilogue manually.

matborder-png.373331

matbuttonhaul5-png.373329

Savage Potato (Original Creator)
Med. MapGuy (Co-Creator)

Sound and Music:
Blizzard Entertainment (WoW)
Monolith Productions (F.E.A.R.)
Bethesda Software (Fallout Tactics)
Creative Assembly (Rome: Total War)
Jedi Academy, Half-life: Counter-Strike

Models:
Sunchips
Skipper
Kuhneghetz
General Frank
Mr. Bob
Kuhneghetz
Tamplier777
ikillforeyou
Radagast
PROXY
Lord_T
Uncle Fester
MiniMage
Grendel
ChevronSeven
RedBlade
Mr.Goblin
yonatanDS
JetFangInferno
The_Silent
Oinkerwinkle
RightField
Forgotten_Warlord
Sin'dorei300
Himperion
Just_Spectating
Ujimasa Hojo
Rondo
alfredx_sotn
imforfun
Hellish Hybrid
Tranquil
Direfury
ModifiedbyGF
JetFangInferno
tobyfat50

Icons & Textures:
Mr.Goblin
TheKaldorei
CloudWolf
Deathclaw24
Pharaoh_
HappyTauren
SNART
-Berz-
DAYDAY
Asssssvi
Kantarion
The Panda
General Frank
Public Resource Provider
DeathKnight
BETA
zbc
PrinceYaser
MadMax
JollyD
PeeKay
ProFeT
loktar
Mc !
Eraser|85
Sin'dorei300
Link_Iceblader
Juice_F
Anachron

Promotional Art:
Eric Braddock
Cole Eastburn

Soundtrack:
Rome: Total War
Shogun: Total War
Medieval II: Total War
World of Warcraft

Voicework and SFX:
Heroes of the Storm
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Fallout Tactics
Rome: Total War

Contents

Mathias Chronicles I - The Pursuit (Campaign)

Mathias Chronicles Redux Demo (Campaign)

Reviews
08:56, 11th Oct 2014 Orcnet: This is one of the great work of a campaign thanks for the previous makers and current ones who can bring up this awesome masterpiece back into action, the scenery, story line, and above all how it all would end is...

M

08:56, 11th Oct 2014
Orcnet:

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/194715-albums6441-picture75028.png[/img]

This is one of the great work of a campaign thanks for the previous makers and current ones who can bring up this awesome masterpiece back into action, the scenery, story line, and above all how it all would end is quite the most diabolical yet beautiful works ever made. I had troubled pressing the "Esc" button in chapter two which makes you win the round due to the trigger I guess, you might want to fix that.

Anyhow a recommended map for campaign players.

Deleted member 237964

D

Deleted member 237964

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but does the Med.Map guy returned or this is one of his old works?

Level 3
I played Savage Potato's campaigns long ago and liked it a lot, but with these cool textures it is even better. 5/5 But IMO first chapter is too easy, in original campaign I barely succeeded to finish it and in this I managed to destroy bestiary without even training any troops, just town militia and 2 reinforcements was more than enough to humiliate raiders.

Still very refreshing experience so I'll give it 5/5

Level 3
I don't mean to brag but "I" was the one that suggested he remake the whole campaigns LONG ago. Such a same he retired before he could finish this but I enjoyed what he started

Level 20
So i am giving my thoughts on this camping.(Please do note i havent played the old camping so in any case forgive me of ignorance)
Things that i Liked:
1.Terrain +4/5 (I know evryone hates the work terrain its not exiting and funny its just BORING)
2.I loved the Price Mathias model(i did noticet it was taken from the lich-king one but still creator made a good job on modifying it).The other custom unites(human side) are good as well,so Units +5/5
3.Cinematics are really well done(the opening one) even Blizzard itself couldent have done it better +4/5
4.Music used its really good
5.Story,well whith three chapters i cant give a decision but just to be a good boy +4/5
Things that need improvement/I dident like(my OPINION)
1.I am starting whith Princ Mathias,he has a glitch around the mouth thats kinda annoying
2.I dont know if other players noticed on the first mission when you go to the mine to establish the base my workes glitch and looks like they have bunny ears and a spear on their hand :O
3.Some orcish untits cannot be seen i just see their shade on the ground(i think they are the grunts)
4.Trolls have the model of the a Troll Axethrower yet they throw spears!!?@!@?!?@??
5.Second mission,the orcish towers after destroyed dont raze thats kinda weird
6.Third mission,Dat banner and those heros icons
7.When you build an altar you can summon an hero o_O
8.The essential item on princ Mathias has a price of 500 gold,and the icon isent very fitting i would suggest another icon like the one of demon's edge item on Dota 1 game or even make a custom model
Things i would like to see
1.To add a few maps that includ playing whith orchish hord(The warchif looks such a good guy)as well add options such as choosing different routs on their flee from Alliance
whith different benefits and downfalls
2.To add some new unites (on both sides)
3.Tinker a littel bit whith hero kits dont just make them general

Level 20
Uhm... on that part you are just wrong, it's propably the most exciting part of mapping after using Object Editor, even though I consider terraining the most interesting.
It is my opinion.I myself value the creation of custom unites and the plot of the camping.Seems you enjoy more the terrain.
I kinda express it to harsh by saying its the boring part.I myself dont enjoy it that much.Its like saying i find Math boring by i love Literature.Evryone has its own oppinions thats what makes us who we are.If we would think the same the world would be a place whith no variety.

Level 10
It almost made me not wanting complete the original series but regardless i continued it to the bitter end why? cause i am stubborn like a donkey, and i don't stop until the challenge is completed, overall story's alternate history was quite enjoyable after chapter 3 of the series..

Level 4
I really love the original campaign of Mathias. This one is great, no wonderful, but there is one thing that is really strange:
The orc grunt model doesn't exist for me. I only see the shadow of the unit.

Level 12
People can say what they think, but for me Mathias Chronicles and Wanderers of Sorceria are the best lengthy campaigns ever made for Warcraft, when it comes to originality, humor, stenography and all other factors.

Level 4
I am so agry with you man. The author of the campaign haven't any models but he was having the greatest imagination that i have ever seen. And with the fact that he was good at map making.

Level 10
He visits sometimes but for map making, highly unlikely.
Herogod over there is a good friend of his so he has permission to upload naturally:D

Thanks for sharing man :ogre_datass:

I didn't know! Thanks for informing me :D ... or maybe I just uploaded many campaigns many many years ago because it would be a waste if they would just vanish. Funny how people do LetsPlays now with them...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Great cinematic skills!

chap1:
  1. There's an issue with the Mathias model, there's a square effect on the mouth.
  2. Well, apart from the neat visuals, it's just a Warcraft reiteration. However, you didn't mind to make a nifty item (icon, description) and have a proper Mathias model's icon.
  3. Katriana is actually named Denasha.
  4. Music should be played with the other trigger to avoid hearing it through the sound channel.
  5. Pressing ESC will instantly give you victory... because of that you can't cancel any command but only by using the mouse...
  6. Two Paladins... really interesting...
  7. The orcish party sees you from a very long distance after a while.
  8. You have archers but train riflemen?
  9. Mathias' model is annoying to click.
  10. Why is Animal War Training in the Barracks if it has no use in this level?
  11. There are some invisible units. Only their shadows can be seen. They cannot be selected. It might be a model glitch.
  12. You shouldn't use models with hero glow as non-hero units.
  13. Swordsmen=Footmen with different model.
  14. You get reinforcements apart from being able to train units and they don't get anything at all.
  15. Third tier upgrades should not be available if they cannot be researched.
  16. There should be a timer to know exactly when the orcs run.
  17. You get the orcs escaped message during the last scene. Also, why are the barracks red?

chap2:
-you can summon the Blood Mage :D (not your fault I guess).
-trolls right east of your base come to attack any building being built near the trees they are hiding behind.. the problem is that they can get through the trees instead of circles around to come where the tower is.
-the mines have too large a range compared to the ones the riflemen have... very annoying part of the game; you have to wait for the crystal ball to charge that if you find it and then heal your riflemen each time otherwise you have to sacrifice footmen which isn't elegant especially if you want to keep the resources.
-out of nowhere a mortar team appeared which almost got killed if I wasn't that attentive because it appeared near one of the towers...
-you can break their base without meeting the elves as they don't retrain and rebuild.
-the green mercenary camp can be attacked.
-you cannot buy the orb of fire because you need fortress!? I think this might be a RoC campaign?
-all quest icons are the same
-dragons don't fly here so it's easy to kill them with the two paladins.
-no egg dropped probably because I didn't meet the elves yet?
-some models really needed no change and they even look worse; e.g. the ogre lord
-some walls need pathing blockers not to get through them.
-you can finish the level without needing to meet with the elves even if it is a main requirement.
-the tank doesn't touch the gate, it is selected during cinematic mode, turns with its back to the gate and explodes along with it.
-Kyreen's portrait is red during the cinematic mode.
-there wre two of the old paladin during the meeting.
-the tower I rescued remained red.
-the ending scene cannot be skipped.

Apart from eye-candy, everything is pretty much the same.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
The Prologue crashes the game after loading on 1.30.4 I assume it may be related to a model since in the editor it says Orc Warchief.mdl cannot be loaded.
The rest of the maps seem to be working.

Since the Import Manager is empty both in the map and campaign editor, changed the model of the Grunt to Grunt. Also had to change the model of the Orc Warchief for some reason from a custom one to Mathog/Orc Warchief.
Now the map loads but the next one crashes the game even though if accessed first that doesn't happen.
Did the same for chapter 2 and 3.
MathiasReduxBug.png

Regardless, the Prologue sometimes crashes when it loads, sometimes not...

Attached the file below.

Attachments

• Mathias Chronicles Redux Demo X.w3n
    45.1 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Level 4
I must admit that it would be nice to see it complete.
But when reforged will be release we could at least play the old mathias campagn with the new skins

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Hey @Med. MapGuy, great to see you doing the Mathias Chronicles. Been a while, I was wondering
if you would continue your work on it. Looking forward to play this again.
Gonna play it this weekend & give a proper review.

Is there a specific reason why you have uploaded it seperately instead of updating the demo?
I'd have the two resources combined by staff to avoid it being a multi-upload.

Also, I know that you have permission from the author @Savage Potato to continue.
Please put you either a screenshot or a quote with link of this permission in your description.

Level 7
Woahhhh, my favourite mapmaker is back!!! Will be playing this immediately and submitting my review ...
Had played a lot of the Mathias original back then... Loved them if not for the bugs , hope you fix them well!
I am waiting for the other Mathias Chronicles Remake Campaigns too !!!!
Love your maps Med. MapGuy!!

I watch someone played the first two chapters 1.31 today and found something maybe bug?
1. Purple cube in the picture.
2. Chapter two the dragon nest is blocked by some kind of blocker?
3. First and second abilities of elven archer has the same hotkey.

————
Also I'm surprised, I have play your translated campaign very long time ago.

Attachments

• U8M8$Y(C_E(~YAMTML0)Q$J.png
    U8M8$Y(C_E(~YAMTML0)Q$J.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 265
Level 23
I watch someone played the first two chapters 1.31 today and found something maybe bug?
1. Purple cube in the picture.
2. Chapter two the dragon nest is blocked by some kind of blocker?
3. First and second abilities of elven archer has the same hotkey.

————
Also I'm surprised, I have play your translated campaign very long time ago.

Oh no... why didn't I see these? Thank you for the feedback! I've uploaded a new updated campaign file which fixes the following:

- Redundant hotkey for Kyreen's spells.
- Red Dragon pathing blocker is removed when you activate the Goblin quest.
- Fixed missing model problem in the first level.

Please play this newest version I uploaded instead, and thanks again for reporting any new bugs!

Last edited:
Level 7
this is majestic tho we are too strong too many bugy items and too many items i had mathias with 3 k hp at last mission smashing everything alone maybe less items and tomes would do it and more agression from the enemy the rest is great i hope you will finish the whole story thank you for the great work

Level 23
this is majestic tho we are too strong too many bugy items and too many items i had mathias with 3 k hp at last mission smashing everything alone maybe less items and tomes would do it and more agression from the enemy the rest is great i hope you will finish the whole story thank you for the great work

Noted on too many buggy items and too many tomes. I'll try to rebalance things when I have the time.

Thanks to everyone for the support!

Level 20
Played the game but for some reason the second chapter wouldent load(might be cuz i am using patch 1.29 doe),cant say much with only one map played but i loved the cinematics and the sceneries.

Noticed something that might be a bug tho.
Screenshot

The circled guy is labeled as a wounded claw clan and not a citizen (kinda gives up the subplot)

Also i would really really love it if you incorporated the QWER hotkey system on hero and units alike :)