• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

'Mark read' in the User CP for subscribed threads ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Sometimes I visit Hive while not being logged into my account, looking for thread responses which have greater meaning to me.

One annoying point, if you checked like 8 of your subscribed threads while not logged in, having an average answer count of one, so you know after logging in another time there was no newer response, you have to 'read it' again, to mark it read and disappear from the CP, don't you ?

We have 'Reply' and 'Unsubscribe', I think a third one like 'Mark read' or 'Checked' would be a good idea, what do you think ?

Level 21
So if I understood it well, you say that if you have some threads but you are not logged into your account, you'd like to have them marked as read. However, how's that possible if you are not logged in? If you mark it as read (assuming it is possible), how will this be detected when you'll actually log in? It's not that if you mark it as read outside your account the computer will recognize you and say "Ah yes, that was Ardenian when he wasn't logged in." Seems impossible to implement.

Ah right... I never experienced this problem since I keep my account always opened and always tick "Remember password".

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

No, you got me wrong, I expressed it complicated.

I meant, I read the threads if I am not logged in, as a guest/visitor, but after I log in, for example the next day, to Hive, then I already read it, knowing the response. Then I have to click on it, opening it again.
A simple little button instead to mark it read would be preferable, in my opinion.

Level 21
No, you got me wrong, I expressed it complicated.

I meant, I read the threads if I am not logged in, as a guest/visitor, but after I log in, for example the next day, to Hive, then I already read it, knowing the response. Then I have to click on it, opening it again.
A simple little button instead to mark it read would be preferable, in my opinion.

I understood it 100% right but the question is "How will this action of checking the thread as a guest/visitor be detected?". You cannot detect that since you're a guest/visitor among 10000 others. As I stated above, it's not that the computer will recognize you when you're a guest/visitor and read a thread.
If we really have to then the button should exist such that when you click on it, the thread won't appear in any account you open using the same IP address but that would cause problems with siblings/friends/relatives sharing the same IP address and being subscribed to the same thread.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

No, you are not doing anything while being not logged in.

Example:
I am not logged in -> I read a reply to a thread I subscribed

*I log in the next day* - no new answers to the thread

I check my CP -> I have to read the answer again to make the subscription disappear from the news in my CP

Level 21

Example:

I check my CP -> I have to read the answer again to make the subscription disappear from the news in my CP

The problem is, for the third time, that this cannot be detected!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

There is nothing that should be detected, I don't want to mark the threads I read 'read' once I am not logged in,
I would like to suggest an option to mark a thread read in the CP instead of following the link, as there are 'Reply' and 'Unsubscribe', why not also 'Mark read'

Level 21
There is nothing that should be detected, I don't want to mark the threads I read 'read' once I am not logged in,
I would like to suggest an option to mark a thread read in the CP instead of following the link, as there are 'Reply' and 'Unsubscribe', why not also 'Mark read'

Ah I think I got what you mean (stupid me)
Well, then it's actually a good idea. I could also benefit from this when I subscribe to a thread which I won't care about in a particular moment (mostly OT section).

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

^^ No problem, I think it isn't clear from my words in the first place.

Yes, I think it is quite useful and handy

Level 15
I like the idea, and can see why it would be useful. Having the ability to mark a thread as read in the userCP without having to read the actual thread would be great. Basically, just have a check box next to each subscribed thread in the user cp, with an "update" or "apply" button that makes the changes.

Level 23

Example:

Why not just click the post and close it immediately to remove it from UserCP list?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Why not just click the post and close it immediately to remove it from UserCP list?

Because, as Bribe says, it loads a new window, if you have around, let's say 20 subscribed threads in your CP ( I sometimes have even more), then it is very time-intense to load all the messages and go back again.

Ralle said:
Do you mean that you read the thread elsewhere while not logged in and when you get back, you want to mark it as read because you know that there is nothing you haven't seen?
Yes, exactly, that was my reason to create this thread, but of course one can extend it to the reason Bribe mentions.

Deathcom3s said:
I like the idea, and can see why it would be useful. Having the ability to mark a thread as read in the userCP without having to read the actual thread would be great. Basically, just have a check box next to each subscribed thread in the user cp, with an "update" or "apply" button that makes the changes.
Yes, I think this would be great.

Maybe even two boxes, one to mark it read and one to hide it for your current login, what would you say ?

Status
Not open for further replies.