• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MAP WON'T LOAD IN EDITOR... HONESTLY SCARED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So... been working on this map for a year. And now all the sudden, when I try to load it in editor, it will go through all the initializing just fine, but then stops at "loading 2 of 8 triggers". I have tried restarting the computer. I have closed out of it (wasn't responding) dozens of times and tried to re-open it, but to no avail.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty shook right now. I have spent a lot of time and love on this map.

I don't have a problem opening the regular editor- just THIS map in particular. Please, please, PLEASE tell me there is someone else who has had this problem, and that there is a way around it.
Screenshot (1).png

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Did your map have any GUI trigger comments? If so then it could be caused by a bug with Warcraft III World Editor 1.31.1 where the editor crashes when trying to load GUI trigger comments.

In such a case one can use W3x2Lni updated to have data for 1.31.1 (comes default with 1.28) to convert the map to text form and then back to Warcraft III form and fix the issue.

Level 2
This is good news! I'll try to figure out how to do this, because if there is any chance of saving it, I'm game.

Did your map have any GUI trigger comments? If so then it could be caused by a bug with Warcraft III World Editor 1.31.1 where the editor crashes when trying to load GUI trigger comments.

In such a case one can use W3x2Lni updated to have data for 1.31.1 (comes default with 1.28) to convert the map to text form and then back to Warcraft III form and fix the issue.

Level 2
Okay. I'll keep you posted on what's going on with it. I'm going to take this sudden chunk of free time with my map being inaccessible to catch up on some work. But whether it works or not, I'll let you know by the end of next week.

Thanks again.

If you still cannot get it to load you can try sending me the map (private conversation, use the pastebin to host it with a private link). I can take a look at it and at least find out what is wrong with it.

Level 2
Okay, looks like I'll need help getting this to work after all. Do you have time? I would like to try sending you the map.

If you still cannot get it to load you can try sending me the map (private conversation, use the pastebin to host it with a private link). I can take a look at it and at least find out what is wrong with it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I have the same problem with my map, it stops at loading triggers. If anyone knows how to fix this, please help me then... I've been working on my map for over 5 years now and I've never got any errors or crashes like this :-/
The most common cause of it is GUI trigger comments, removing those usually solves it.

The most common cause of it is GUI trigger comments, removing those usually solves it.

When you say trigger comment, do you mean

1:
download-1-png.327296

or

2:
download-png.327297

I don't have this issue, just asking so I know what to avoid.

Attachments

• download (1).png
    download (1).png
    9.2 KB · Views: 643
  • download.png
    download.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 620
Level 14
If the map was made before 1.31 you can open it in an older version of the editor and delete the comments.

Otherwise you can use w3x2lni to convert your map to Lni and delete the comments manually. Then, rebuild to obj.
I've been trying to do that but I'm not able to open it on old world editor because it says the map is to big :-/ lol how can a map stop working just because of a comment message?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Awesome dude. Okay, I'll send that over to you.
I am unable to recreate the crash described. The map you sent me "Tribal Conflict.w3x" loads perfectly in World Editor (both x86 and x86-64) with patch 1.31.1.

It also has just 1 trigger which is the default Melee Initialization trigger (no custom triggers). Is it possible you sent me an old version of the map by mistake?

If this is the same version of the map that crashes World Editor for you then something is likely wrong with your Warcraft III installation. Try repairing the current Warcraft III install and if that does not help then try clean installing 1.31.1 using the online installer.
Please help me too with my map!
If your map also crashes the editor during load then send me a link to it via private conversation and I will look into the cause and if it can be fixed.

Level 2
Okay, I am going to work on figuring out what's wrong on the file level.

However, I did a clean reinstall as part of my initial diagnostic for the issue.

Will keep you updated to future developments.

I am unable to recreate the crash described. The map you sent me "Tribal Conflict.w3x" loads perfectly in World Editor (both x86 and x86-64) with patch 1.31.1.

It also has just 1 trigger which is the default Melee Initialization trigger (no custom triggers). Is it possible you sent me an old version of the map by mistake?

If this is the same version of the map that crashes World Editor for you then something is likely wrong with your Warcraft III installation. Try repairing the current Warcraft III install and if that does not help then try clean installing 1.31.1 using the online installer.

If your map also crashes the editor during load then send me a link to it via private conversation and I will look into the cause and if it can be fixed.

Level 5
Please help me too with my map! :)

Okay, I am going to work on figuring out what's wrong on the file level.

However, I did a clean reinstall as part of my initial diagnostic for the issue.

Will keep you updated to future developments.

I know this is about 3 years later, and not sure if you guys have got your maps working again, but thought I'd share in case anyone is having issues similar to this in 1.33. I had a similar problem with one of my maps deciding to start crashing the editor while loading (always when it gets to the same spot in loading triggers). I tried starting again from an older working version and deleting all the trigger comments, but eventually the same crashing issue came up so that didn't solve it. I tried all kinds of stupid little things to get the map open again - and ONE OF THEM WORKED.

1) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE a backup of the game saved as a MAP FOLDER. Hell it might not even need to actually be the same map, but it does need to have the EXACT same name as the crashing map you are trying to open. You have the option to save a map as a map folder when going to 'file -> save as'. It might even work just saving as a map and not a map folder honestly but this is what worked for me.
2) Move your crashing map into a different folder/desktop etc. (i.e. moved mine from 'warcraft III/maps/my maps' -> desktop)
3) Place the backup map folder where the crashing map originally was.
4) Open that map folder in the World Editor (it will just look like a normal map file when going to 'file -> open map' in the Editor). May or may not need to save the map, I'd just hit the save button immediately upon opening.
5) close the map.
6) Move everything back to its original place (so now your map that is crashing is back in its original place (i.e. 'my maps') and the backup map folder is moved elsewhere)
7) Open your map that has been crashing.
8) Feel a wave of relief that you don't have to start all over because YOUR MAP IS WORKING AGAIN!!

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone that's having this issue, as this is in 1.33 and could be a totally different issue, but it's worked for me on the first try on two separate occasions. And as a map maker I know you'd do anything you could to possibly get your map working again, so might as well give the above a shot if nothing else works!

Level 7
I know this is about 3 years later, and not sure if you guys have got your maps working again, but thought I'd share in case anyone is having issues similar to this in 1.33. I had a similar problem with one of my maps deciding to start crashing the editor while loading (always when it gets to the same spot in loading triggers). I tried starting again from an older working version and deleting all the trigger comments, but eventually the same crashing issue came up so that didn't solve it. I tried all kinds of stupid little things to get the map open again - and ONE OF THEM WORKED.

1) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE a backup of the game saved as a MAP FOLDER. Hell it might not even need to actually be the same map, but it does need to have the EXACT same name as the crashing map you are trying to open. You have the option to save a map as a map folder when going to 'file -> save as'. It might even work just saving as a map and not a map folder honestly but this is what worked for me.
2) Move your crashing map into a different folder/desktop etc. (i.e. moved mine from 'warcraft III/maps/my maps' -> desktop)
3) Place the backup map folder where the crashing map originally was.
4) Open that map folder in the World Editor (it will just look like a normal map file when going to 'file -> open map' in the Editor). May or may not need to save the map, I'd just hit the save button immediately upon opening.
5) close the map.
6) Move everything back to its original place (so now your map that is crashing is back in its original place (i.e. 'my maps') and the backup map folder is moved elsewhere)
7) Open your map that has been crashing.
8) Feel a wave of relief that you don't have to start all over because YOUR MAP IS WORKING AGAIN!!

I can't guarantee this will work for everyone that's having this issue, as this is in 1.33 and could be a totally different issue, but it's worked for me on the first try on two separate occasions. And as a map maker I know you'd do anything you could to possibly get your map working again, so might as well give the above a shot if nothing else works!
hey sir,i have the very similar problem like u met
When WE loading doodads or units,it will crash,and only happened after i update 1.33, i try the way u said but it not work
there is something i must tell,my map is work on a WE with 1.27 wc3, in fact the previous blizzard's update never affect me,because i never work on the new reforged world editor,but but in this time, it affect me deeply, i can no longer open my maps
But the funny thing is, it open successful on my friend's PC and he never install reforged, and even i delete all files about reforged, that still not work
Edit: i mean my map can work on my editor without reforged,i just use reforged to play custom games

Level 1
Hello, my map crashes while trying to load but only noticed this issue with maps that have custom models/skins within all other maps work fine.
The Maps with Custom stuff will load fine when I save and close then reopen 2 minutes later with no issue, an hour later the maps would "load" then close the World Editor program.

Level 5
Hello, my map crashes while trying to load but only noticed this issue with maps that have custom models/skins within all other maps work fine.
The Maps with Custom stuff will load fine when I save and close then reopen 2 minutes later with no issue, an hour later the maps would "load" then close the World Editor program.
I have simmilar issue. I made a map in May with alot of custom models and now decided to reopen it only to find out that its bugged as hell and the editor cannot load alot of things and scripts i made. Everything was fine before, for me the newest blizzard patch totally messed things up... Idk how to fix this..

Level 3
Same issue here. My map used custom models. It worked just fine yesterday. Today I'm trying anything I can to open it without success. Hope they will adress/fix this issue soon.

Edit: So I managed to remove custom models from the map using MPQ Editor and the map loads just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.