• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Magic Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hey :D
Another terrain from me, this time a magic forest.

In my terrains, I always try to improve myself. In this one, I used a new 'teqnicue' with the grass instead of alot of tile variations. But the main thing I worked on is the light. Too many it might just look like some generic light, but belive me, it isn't generic, nor is it a light here and there, its ALOT of light here and there, glows, shadows etc

Give your comments what I should work on, if you like it, please give a little 'Good Job' or a little +rep, to show your appreciation =D

PS. Just realised the angle isn't great. Will work on that later on.

Attachments

• MagicForest.jpg
    MagicForest.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 436
Level 10
Not bad :)
Ground is a lil smooth.. not saying it should be real bumby - its just too smooth.
Fog doesnt look good yellow in my opinion i think light blue or a green would be much better.

Level 10
err not saying its not an improvement . . .well actualy i am . . but i preferd the old one felt a little less clusterd, and less of the doodas that need to be used more subtly . . . plus the lightings too much this time . .

Level 6
i like the yellow fog more because it makes it seem more like a real life kinda late after noon time thing... but yeah for a magic forest you definitely want to stick with an odd colored fog.
My only question is what is the point of the sign? like 1 person is living in the woods and they need a sign to find out where it is? it doesn't even have anything written on it?

Level 15
@Oziris - Thank god you saved me! I know, i hate'd how it turned out. Thank you for the solution :D

@madcd - I could aggre that's the doodads are a bit crowded, and the light isn't enough smooth

@BlinkforFear - Yeah I also enjoyed the yellow fog, it gave much of a more natural feeling. About the sign, well, I forgot to mention, that there was this picture that inspired me (attached), and in it there was a sign, so I added it :p
I saw the picture on a website, so I kind of took the things I liked in that picture and added it to this terrain :p

Update also, improved what you mentioned.

Attachments

• Magic_Forest_by_camilkuo2.jpg
    Magic_Forest_by_camilkuo2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 916
  • worldedit 2009-05-30 18-46-34-16.jpg
    worldedit 2009-05-30 18-46-34-16.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 311
Level 15
Okay another small update. Personally I can't find anything more to add (It ain't perfect, but can't figure what possinly could be improved). Any ideas?

Oh and Void, I think these are the red Sunken Ruins ones. They are the only red to be found in UTM, and im pretty sure they are the ones you walk about. Guess glows etc makes them look different.

Attachments

• MagicForest3.jpg
    MagicForest3.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 11,860
Level 36
Yeah those are the ones I was talking about. Now bear with me for a second, this just might work, I don't know. Try removing all of the ground shrubbery you've placed. Now, place some brownish gray SteinLords rocks (kinda like how Megafyr does all the time) sunken into the ground, and place some darkened "Shrub Animated 1"s all around them. When you're done with that, use this model (darkened quite a bit so it fits, and shrunk) for grass.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...scussion-contest-sanctioned-models-grass2.mdx

I think that combination would fit the atmosphere better.

Level 10
To modificate all doodads/units of a similar type select 1 of the doodads then go to Edit - Select all special. That will select all similar things of the one you already selected.

Level 15
I did as you said Oziris, I added some small grass models just in front of the grass in the foreground, looks much more natural now. Also added lights in the background to give it contrast. I would like to add other sort of trees, but I can't find any suitable, because it ain't a rainforest with 100 different trees, more like a boring magic forest :p Though I changed X, Y and Z values of most of the trees, almost every tree is a bit unique now.

And Archipelago.. I aggre. Though I do like it more messy than what I had in beginning, because really, more doodads makes it beatiful, though I guess I could aggre.

Oh and this might sound lame, but I added an underground dome in the background =D So it looks more forest like, no end.

Attachments

• MagicForest5.jpg
    MagicForest5.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 180
Level 15
Thank you all :) Okay so this will (most likely) be the final version :D I just improved what you mentioned, Oziris. Personally I like it very much, and I seriously learned alot by this session lol :p

Now, I think I will start a swamp thingy :p check the Terrain Board, it will be comming soon =D

Attachments

• MagicForestFinal.jpg
    MagicForestFinal.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.