• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I need some ideas for Magic Forest terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'd say the key to a magical forest is trees, lighting and effects. The trees, according to me, should be very tall and appear to be old as the stone. The lighting is what really separates ordinary forests from magical. Make the forest bloom with different colors.
Also I think you should consider making the forest deep, as I wouldn't imagine elves building a village in a glade. Here are some pictures to observe:
#1 Excellent example of magical lighting and effects
#2 Example of both what the trees should look like and possibly an idea for the elven houses
#3 Another example of a forest, just because I like it
magical-forest_1024x786.jpg267fantasy-door-m.jpgcorzo.jpg

Hope that helped you at all :smile:

Level 9
hey, thx guys ! i've done with small region, please take a look :D
and give some feedback ofc :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Magic Forest.jpg
    Magic Forest.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 19,935
  • Magic Forest1.jpg
    Magic Forest1.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 18,974
  • Magic Forest2.jpg
    Magic Forest2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 18,833
  • Magic Forest3.jpg
    Magic Forest3.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 18,673
  • Bonus Pic.jpg
    Bonus Pic.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 18,408

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
End of the world is vissible in all of the pictures but I suppose these are just starters. I would really make the forests appear deeper and as for the trees I would take advantage of the world tree doodad to make it appear really old. This is just my oppinion though.
Other than that some trees are floating. Cover them up with shrubbery or lower them into the ground using ctrl+pg dn.
I have never been a big fan of the weather rays, and you should really consider creating your own sky instead of using a fixed one. To do this use the blizzard sky model and tint the fog doodad in a fitting color (I'd go for a purple-ish tinting). Place the fog doodad near the camera to make it cover the terrain and add the uber cloud model tinted very dark (25,25,25 or lower).
It's not a horrible start though and the glow effects look very appealing. Keep it up :smile:

Last edited:
Level 6
You should browse through the spell and effects categories,
there are several model which could be useful to create a
magical atmosphere. For example the starfall caster animation
or the tree-exploit wisp animation. Hopefully I could help you,
can´t wait to see new pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.