• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MadseN's Terrain Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Meh, I think MadseN should be allowed to release non-important terrain that he makes. It doesn't give much away at all.

Level 11
thud.gif

OMG these are the best terrains I have ever seen, how on earth did you do that port in the third one, I've been try like hell to make a good port in my map, but it sucks.

And even more important where and/or how did you get those buildings in the 1st shot on the 3rd row? Those would be so perfect for my map. I can't even express... how... perfect.. they'd be!

Level 6
Well, me as 'The dude that only made one terrain yet' can only say, these are just awesome pieces of heaven you created

Level 34
thud.gif

OMG these are the best terrains I have ever seen, how on earth did you do that port in the third one, I've been try like hell to make a good port in my map, but it sucks.

And even more important where and/or how did you get those buildings in the 1st shot on the 3rd row? Those would be so perfect for my map. I can't even express... how... perfect.. they'd be!

For the port, he has had a lot more practice than you have I'm sure. I think he used to terrain under a different name, got really good and changed his name. Most people have not seen his old stuff. No one is that good without practice.

For the buildings, they are made from no custom doodads. (Correct me if I'm wrong MadseN). I sure don't see any custom doodads other than trees and shrubs. They are not one doodad, but many. It's a good use of them, but the arch-buildings (buildings made from the arch doodad) are very common. Although MadseN of course used them better than most.

Level 11
For the port, he has had a lot more practice than you have I'm sure. I think he used to terrain under a different name, got really good and changed his name. Most people have not seen his old stuff. No one is that good without practice.

For the buildings, they are made from no custom doodads. (Correct me if I'm wrong MadseN). I sure don't see any custom doodads other than trees and shrubs. They are not one doodad, but many. It's a good use of them, but the arch-buildings (buildings made from the arch doodad) are very common. Although MadseN of course used them better than most.

I guess so I guess so, though for the first one I mentioned it looke dlike he used a custom model, I'm wondering whther he did and if so where I could get it.

As for the second one I thought that might be the case and ive made some arch buildings, though actually more like one but I doubt I could make something that good :cry:

EDIT: ooooooooooh I see now, after closer observation, I see that he has increase the Y axis or inset or whatever you call it on the archs... hmm maybe I can make a better cathedral after all. :grin:

Level 11
Sometyhing I can't figure out though is how to you makke the background work when i try looking from a lower level in botht he map editor and warcraft (using preset cameras), like I see for a bit then after that point everything is black;

do you guy slike have the game switch it over to cinematic or something?

Level 34
Set a fog. Scenario, Map Options, Enable Fog, and change the color and Z-Start and Z-Finish.

Level 11
I already have a fog on, but what is Z-Start and Z-Finish? it sounds like they are the key to my problem.

See here is what it looks like when I look at it in World editor(it's basically the same in Warcraft)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 132
Level 7
Beam said:
Fog can be explained in a graph. The X-axis is your distance from camera and the Y-axis is fog density. Linear fog is simply a curve with a slope of x, meaning that for every x unit away from the camera, your fog is 1 unit denser. exponential fog is a curve, like x^2 or x^3. you get way denser fog with this option.

Z-start and Z-end is basically how far away from the camera the fog starts and ends. So again, if your fog starts at say, 1000, then up until 1000 units away from the camera, your fog density will be 0. Then at 1000 units away, your fog density will start to increase until your Z-end. Now say your Z-end was at 5000. This means that at 5000 units away from the camera, your fog will be at its maximum density, and you can't see past it. Depending on how close or far your Z starts and ends are, the rate at which fog will increase will be faster or slower. If the Z start and end is far apart, like say, 100 to 5000, then you'll have a very gradual increase in fog density. If they're closer together, like 100 to 200, then you'll have a very sudden increase in fog density, with almost no inbetween values.

Press V to see more or less how it would look in-game, including fog.

Level 34
I think it's emptiness is very nice. In fact it makes this terrain, it creates the atmosphere better. Its hard to do, but emptiness can be awesome.

Level 34
Terrain is like art. None of these are for maps, only for show.

If you ask, he may be willing ti give you a map to see how he does it, but that's not likely.

Level 34
I dunno, he gave me a map of his ajzol-nerub terrain... it wouldn't hurt to ask.
You are a more veteran member, and a very good terrainer. He knows you'll only use it to further your own talents.

I would be a lot more reluctant to give someone new my terrains.

Level 34
Last that I've heard from MadseN, he said he enrolled himself to military service now. Probably won't be back for a while, except on holidays maybe.

~Craka_J
Yeah he's been in and out. He did make a terrain for the contest, but hasn't updated in a while.

Level 7
I know it's so cliche nowadays, the word 'epic', but that's all that can describe these. Each and every one is probably better than the best of most people, and that underwater city... my god is that amazing! It's better designed than what you find even in games like bioshock. That city is easily the best, though that TFT one is pretty cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.