• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lyric Contest #1 - Lore Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
the%20hive%20workshop.png

LYRIC CONTEST #1
db06279c4bcb124066175f744da9e5f3.jpg

Lore Characters
The goal of the contest is to create a poem about a character from Warcraft or Starcraft lore. The poem must be 100% ABOUT the character, and not just mention him/her/it.

• Thrall
  • Nazgrel
  • Malfurion Stormrage
  • Illidan Stormrage
  • Tyrande Whisperwind
  • Arthas
  • Ner'zhul
  • The Lich King
  • Gul'dan
  • Rexxar
  • Rokhar
  • Jaina Proudmoore
  • Admiral Daelin Proudmoore
  • King Terenas Menethil
  • King Anduin Wrynn
  • Anduin Lothar
  • Varian Wrynn
  • Medivh
  • Jim Raynor
  • Sarah Kerrigan
  • Zeratul
  • Tassadar
  • The Zerg Overmind
  • Tychus
  • Nova
  • Arcturus Mengsk
Your choice is not limited to these characters only, you may choose any character appearing in any Warcraft/Starcraft game/novel/graphic comic.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Rules of the contest the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any poem does not fit, a moderator or judge will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • You must post at least 1 WiP before the deadline so your final work can be verified as your own.
  • No former works can be submitted, the poem must be new and created to fit the theme.
  • Inappropriate language is NOT ALLOWED.
  • Use of copyrighted material is NOT ALLOWED.

prizes.png

• [*]First Place: 45 reputation points and an award icon
    [*]Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
    [*]Third Place: 15 reputation points and award icon

judges.png

• Just tell us if you want to be a judge!

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• Theme: How well does your poem fit the character you have chosen? /15
  • Complexity: Is it a complex poem, or just something a 5-year old could make? Does it use only white rhymes or is the author creative? /20
  • Language: Does the author use only common words or is he creative with his language? Does he use expressions, epithets, metaphors and so on? /20

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contestants have 2 weeks from the start of the contest to finish their poem.

Current contestants: I shall post the contestants here as they join. Tell me or one of the judges if you drop out. A post in this thread will be fine.

Last edited:
Music contests make sense, poems doesn't. I can see where you could use music in a project, I don't see where you could use a poem about some historic character. Short stories to some extent could make sense, but I just don't see the meaning with them. It's a matter of taste I guess with that one.

If people are passionate about writing poems, there's plenty of other places to do that, but I don't see why it should be done here, at least not as a contest. I still am of the belief that contests should have at least some tiny bit of relevance to modding - and writing a short poem about the greatness of some lore character doesn't qualify for that in my book.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If people are passionate about writing poems, there's plenty of other places to do that, but I don't see why it should be done here, at least not as a contest. I still am of the belief that contests should have at least some tiny bit of relevance to modding - and writing a short poem about the greatness of some lore character doesn't qualify for that in my book.

I see you're a writer too, does that mean you don't make sense ? :thumbs_down:

If you have enough people willing to enter, a host and judges willing to participate, why not, really? I mean the site hosts an offtopic section anyway, compared to that a contest at least has some non-moderator (in many cases) watching it to guide it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the poem be written in Orcish? Do the judges know Orcish?

Do you?

Well, I am not negative about this contest, neither positive. It's kind of abstract and definitely not useful. P.S. If this contest indeed took place, the prize points would have to be a maximum of 30, not higher, it's not that a serious job.

Level 7
uhm writing a Good poem is not that easy you know... it's not just "oh all the flowers, they give me powers" if you get my meaning :p
but yeah maybe not the most popular or useful contest ( even if it could be useful story-wise to maps, models etc.) and I doubt enough serious people would participate.

Poems are a good way to broaden your vocabulary, unless you want to be retarded and be "rappers", then you just ramble words that mean nothing.

A poem has to have a strong meaning, project that meaning, touch everyone that reads it, give them a feel of how you were when you wrote it, and let them know that whatever they do, can be gotten through.

But that all depends how you write the poem.

Status
Not open for further replies.