• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Look over my Chem Lab, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I just want people to look at it. Tell me how good it is, tell me what should be changed, etc.
Mitchell Dyer
H-Science/Hall/4th
11/2/08

Title: Manganese

Purpose: The student will be able to create a Bohr model of an element to research and present to class.

Problem: What does a model of Manganese look like?

Hypothesis: If a Bohr model representing Manganese is created and researched, then it will include the chemical symbol, atomic number, atomic mass, and the number of protons found in Manganese.

Procedure:

Materials Steps
- Internet 1) Pre-lab write up
- Poster board 2) Assigned element
- Foam ball 3) Research element
- Encyclopedia 4) Collect resources for model
- Construction Paper 5) Create model
- Rubber Cement 6) Double check model
- Hot Glue Gun 7) Rewrite lab
- Hot Glue 8) Present model and hand lab in

Results:

Discussion/Analysis:
1. The two locations of the periodic table in the Science book Chemical Interactions can be found on pages 20, 21, and in the back of the book.
2. Information on the “atoms chapter” begins on page 9 and ends on page 15.
3. Erwin Schrodinger was a scientist who created the “wave equation” which is more commonly known as “the Schrodinger Equation”. The equation itself lets you mathematically graph the energy levels for a Hydrogen-based atom.
4. Other than the Bohr model, there are the Rutherford and the Plum pudding model. The Rutherford model is typically described as having a nucleus with many rings surrounding it. Unlike the Bohr model, the rings are scattered facing different positions, rather than being stack on top of each other. The Plum pudding model has electrons scattered throughout a small area surrounded by Protons.
5. Atom – the smallest component of an element having the chemical properties of the element, consisting of a nucleus containing combinations of neutrons and protons and one or more electrons bound to the nucleus by electrical attraction
Proton – a positively charged particle
Neutron – an uncharged particle
Electron – a negatively charged particle that moves around the nucleus
Nucleus – the combination of Protons and Neutrons in an atom
Element – one of a class of substances that cannot be separated into simpler substances by chemical means
Molecule – a quantity of a substance, the weight of which, measured in any chosen unit, is numerically equal to the molecular weight
Periodic Table – a table of elements arranged by atomic number that shows the patterns in their properties
Groups or Families – The vertical columns in the periodic table of elements. Elements in a group have similar properties
Atomic Number – the identity of an element determined by the number of Protons in its nucleus
Noble Gases – a group of elements with similar qualities. They are best described as odorless, colorless, and non-radioactive
Halogens – Any of a group of five chemically related nonmetallic elements including fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.
Mixture – any combination or blend of different elements
Compound – composed of two or more parts, elements, or ingredients
Chemical Symbol – an abbreviation or short representation of a chemical element; the symbols in the periodic table
Energy Level or Shell – one of a set of states of a physical system associated with a range of energies
Non Metal – an element that is not a metal and generally has properties opposite of a metal
Metal – an element that tends to be shiny, easily shaped, and a good conductor of electricity
Row or Period – A horizontal row in the periodic table of elements. Elements in a period have varying properties.

6. The formula used to determine the total number of possible electrons in each energy level is 2N² where N is equal to the level.
7. Level 1 same as Letter: K. Total electrons: 2
Level 2 same as Letter: L. Total electrons: 8
Level 3 same as Letter: M. Total electrons: 18
Level 4 same as Letter: N. Total electrons: 32
Level 5 same as Letter: O. Total electrons: 50
Level 6 same as Letter: P. Total electrons: 72
Level 7 same as Letter: Q. Total electrons 98
8. The subatomic particles of an atom are the Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons. The Protons and Neutrons are both found in the nucleus while the Electrons are found in the energy levels. The Protons are positively charged, the Neutrons are Ø charged (no charge), and the Electrons are negatively charged.
9. Not all atoms have the same number of subatomic particles. However, all atoms have the same kinds of subatomic particles. Hydrogen is made up of Protons (1), Neutron (in the case of an isotope), and Electrons, much like any other element

Conclusion: After researching and learning about the assigned element, Manganese, a Bohr model was successfully created representing the assigned element, Manganese. By using a Styrofoam ball, some hot glue, a few push-pins, markers, and a computer, a Bohr model was created including Manganese’s chemical symbol, atomic number, atomic mass, and the number of protons found in Manganese.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Well -- apart from the Bohr Model being wrong -- it's okay; you're missing out on, what would seem to be, the core points of this study though. Fair play you have the basics outlined, but without a procedure, or for that matter a single result, we can't really tell you anything.

Not that we'd want to, why should we do your homework for you?

Level 15
I didn't ask you to do it for me. I asked if you could tell me if it was correct. You didn't have to tell me how to fix it, just what to fix.

And I know that's not a Bohr model. The instructor had us make a Bohr model on a posterboard and then make a 2-D representation in Paint or Photoshop on the Lab.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Okay then:

you're missing out on, what would seem to be, the core points of this study though. Fair play you have the basics outlined, but without a procedure, or for that matter a single result, we can't really tell you what to improve.

Level 7
Holy shit... Do you live in USA? This kind of lab layout is incredibly basic... I can't believe you use it at age 14... GR.9?10? Also why are you doing a lab on Bohr... Why not one of the interesting atom developers like Rutherford or Dalton?

This whole lab seems pointless... Your teacher is stupid and should be shot... Jk, but it's still a bad assignment.

Lmao I still can't believe you're using IF, AND, THEN in Gr.9... (or w/e grade you're in).

Level 40
How is this a lab in the first place? It's a project. Whoever thought up making you write this in lab format, well, ...

Anyhow, your description of the Schrödinger Wave Equation is rather off.

You lack mentioning the Quantum model in your types of atoms list, as well as the small indestructible sphere. The latter is relatively unimportant from a modern perspective, but the former is the basis of the last 80 or so years of Chemistry, as the Bohr-Rutherford model only works for Hydrogen.

Your descriptions of Proton/Neutron/Electron are rather vague and do not distinguish them from other paricles such as Positrons and Neutrinos.

Your description of how the Periodic Table of the Elements is arranged is rather vague: there are many ways to arrange the atoms based on atomic number. However, the model itself is based on trends which create families, which happen to be due to (but discovered independently of) the behaviour of the quantum model of the atom.

Your description of molecule is vague to the point of useless.

Your description of the noble gases is extremely off. Radon is in fact radioactive, you're most likely looking for the word 'reactive'. However, it should be noted that they are also reactive, just very very slightly, and thus they should be termed relatively stable.

Your energy level description is rather badly worded and wrong (though I suppose the latter doesn't matter since your research is based off the Bohr-Rutherford model).

Your description of row leaves out all of the critical trends associated with it, such as atomic radius and electronegativity.

Your presentation of the total number of possible electrons in every energy level is misleading, since the electrons do not simply fill one energy level and then the next, even at ground state.

While defining terms, you should define isotope, as you use it.

Conclusion: You should reword a lot of your definitions, and clearly state that all descriptions assume the Bohr-Rutherford model of the atom.

Pyritie, no sense spamming the thread with that sort of thing.

Level 7
Does your teacher look like this:
2865920.jpg

If so consider suicide.

Also consider switching classes because your teacher gives projects and tells you to do it in lab format... Also update: BOHRS MODEL OF THE ATOM IS OUTDATED AND WRONG!

Level 40
Forgot to mention that it's funny that you're modeling Manganese using the Bohr-Rutherford model because...

• It only works for Hydrogen
  • It especially doesn't work for the Transition Metals

As much as most teachers don't have the guts to tell you that the model is wrong until later, they at least usually admit that the transition metals can't be explained using that model (though they leave out the 'that model' bit officially).

Level 15
1) My Science teacher is the biggest bitch in the world.
2) I'm in 8th grade honors, so 9th grade basically.
3) I got 100% on it. I missed 2 points for making the circles (shells) around my nucleus un-even, but because I went first I got extra credit.

My Science teacher is an idiot obviously. I wouldn't be surprised if any of you guys were smarter than her (even though she brags about being a teacher for 40 years).

Thanks for telling me the correct stuff, though.

Level 40
Just to let you know, energy levels even having a relative position to the nucleus is a myth. It's actually a 3d density of high-probability locations.

Also, the energy between energy levels is a 1/n2 relationship if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, if you have any questions about other atomic models or anything, feel free to ask, via chat, PM, thread, or otherwise. Believe it or not, learning can be fun!

Level 11
Forgot to mention that it's funny that you're modeling Manganese using the Bohr-Rutherford model because...

• It only works for Hydrogen
  • It especially doesn't work for the Transition Metals

As much as most teachers don't have the guts to tell you that the model is wrong until later, they at least usually admit that the transition metals can't be explained using that model (though they leave out the 'that model' bit officially).

Yea, my bio teacher said that (in New York it is not bio with biochem but bio with a lot of genetics) and my bio teacher is (the man, but besides the point) an evolutionary biologist, that tells us when he is lying... funny guy~

And I'm glad I'm not the only one with a really annoying 8th (Earth Science in adv. here) grade teacher (I'm in 9th) who has been teaching for 40 years and, did I mention, she was annoying...

Just to let you know, energy levels even having a relative position to the nucleus is a myth. It's actually a 3d density of high-probability locations.

Also, the energy between energy levels is a 1/n2 relationship if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, if you have any questions about other atomic models or anything, feel free to ask, via chat, PM, thread, or otherwise. Believe it or not, learning can be fun!

Tell my English teacher that last year, he made use sing vocabulary... (Do you think I am joking?(It is not a second language class (but a 8th grade regents class....)))

EDIT: SHE! not he in the last sentence.

Last edited:
OK, got you confused with someone else then.

Well, most people wouldn't bother reading the whole thing, like me. I have better things to do, sorry.

Actually I'd say the average age here is around 16, this is a fairly mature sight. Second of all chemistry is a high school sophmore or junior class, not a college one.

Level 26
I'm in 8th grade honors, so 9th grade basically.
So, rather than a shockingly bad high school chemistry class, this is an average middle school class? That makes more sense. I definitely remembered working with the Bohr model back then.

Why the hell this is in lab format still escapes me, though.

Level 11
You learn very little Chemistry in high school, most of which you pick up in Grade 12, some of which in Grade 11, and laughable amounts in Grades 9 and 10 (here in English North America anyhow). University contains the majority of it, as well as the majority of the practical approach to it.

In New York, chem is 11th, bio 10th, Earth 9th, and basic science with a little chem in 8th. It is more in depth than you think. (Bio and Chem)

-
I'll ask my teacher if I can video tape one of her classes just to show you guys how stupid she is.

Yeah, "Hello, can I record our class? Some people on the internet want a proof of your stupidity. Please?"
That's laughable.

Level 40
In New York, chem is 11th, bio 10th, Earth 9th, and basic science with a little chem in 8th. It is more in depth than you think. (Bio and Chem)
Or perhaps we just have different ideas of what a significant amount is. I've taken 2 years of pure chemistry courses in high school, and I'm not particularly impressed, but then again, nor am I with high school material as a whole.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I've been ill, so I haven't been able to reply to this topic. Because of that, I don't know if my point has been said or not yet, but I'm going to say it anyway just because I can.

The Bohr model is simply an easier model of the atom. Sure it has been proven that electrons are really a probability cloud centered around the nucleus, but try explaining that to an average kid in high/secondary/where-ever-you're-taught-it school.

You could also ask why we teach Newtonian physics when Albert Einstein's theory of relativity has proven it wrong, people just can't comprehend it at an early stage in development.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
The same is said for a lot of things, though. I'm not saying that it's right, but I am saying that it could possibly be the best way to teach it.

If you teach them that it's wrong, then they will either not absorb it, or not comprehend it beyond reasonable doubt.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Hyperlect, it is taught in schools and it is used in writing. :p

With regards to the other poster, what four steps? Both your posts have gotten the 'fuckshitjesus wtf was that' response from me, and that's never a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.