• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Make You Think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
are you sitting on a chair? or leaning on a table? or even in a house? feels pretty solid right?

wrong, or at least its not as solid as you might think. because most of that space is made up of nothing, well at least, there isnt anything there (keep the nothingness to the other post please :roll: ). this is because there is a huge distance between the nucleus of an atom and its electrons which means that in your table or chair there is a huge amount of space being accoupied by a whole load of nothing :p. pretty weird huh?

Anyone got any cool facts or things which "make you think" post em right here!

Level 6
Did a universe exist before this one? Was the beginning of this universe the initial point of an everlasting cycle*?

*Think of running around a track. The line you started running from is the initial point. Every time you begin a new lap, it is parallel to a so-called "big bang".

Level 21
whats the difference between .006 and .007?

your sitting here reading this, instead of not existing at all. there are six fundemental cosmic forces, one of these, nuclear efficiency has a value of .007. A lower value would result the entire cosmos consisting only of hydrogen: no carbon to build your body and brain, no oxygen to breathe. a higher level would have resulted in rapid stellar evolution and decay leaving no time for life to evolve.

Level 12
Everytime you flick your middle finger off at someone you are showing them the number 4 in binary, or 100.

Level 21
in its first three minutes, according to inflation theory, the universe ran away with itself, doubling in size every one million million million million millionths of a second. ninety-eight per cent of all the exists was created in the those first 180 seconds.

Level 18
GST_Nemisis said:
are you sitting on a chair? or leaning on a table? or even in a house? feels pretty solid right?

wrong, or at least its not as solid as you might think. because most of that space is made up of nothing, well at least, there isnt anything there (keep the nothingness to the other post please :roll: ). this is because there is a huge distance between the nucleus of an atom and its electrons which means that in your table or chair there is a huge amount of space being accoupied by a whole load of nothing :p. pretty weird huh?

Anyone got any cool facts or things which "make you think" post em right here!

Yeah the fact that most of the universe is filled with.... nothing.... worries me quite a bit at times, as does the entire field of quantum physics, that stuff is taking me longer to wrap my mind around than the meaning of life. And that took me maybe a 20 minute walk to figure out.

In fact, some of the stuff in quantum physics suggest that there are multiple universes, although many of the top quantum physicists don't beleive this, I beleive that's mainly because if it is true it would completely upset most contemporary ideas about our universe.

GST_Nemisis said:
whats the difference between .006 and .007?

your sitting here reading this, instead of not existing at all. there are six fundemental cosmic forces, one of these, nuclear efficiency has a value of .007. A lower value would result the entire cosmos consisting only of hydrogen: no carbon to build your body and brain, no oxygen to breathe. a higher level would have resulted in rapid stellar evolution and decay leaving no time for life to evolve.

Yeah the fact that it is 0.007 is a major argument for intelligent design theories of the universe, although I beleive it's simply due to the fact that in an infinite period of "time" (which I am not readily going to acknowledge exists but thats another story) anything not only can happen but, in fact, WILL happen.

Ralle said:
I often think about what if U had pictures of the people on other planets, other times huh?
ever heard about missing link?

Three letters. W T F.

Level 12

Another hypotheses forwarded is the idea that each universe is completely seperate and unique onto itself, where the similarites are more a matter of coincidence than any "design". I personally believe in both, for niether wholly satisfies an all inclusive idea.

Oooooh crap! Sorry I meant to quote you're thing instead of edit!... My bad. I hope you can remeber everything u wrote, it was all very intresting. Im really sorry.

Level 3
Sometimes i think everything repeats itself.
Well, not everything, more single moments who are in very exact distances of time. And around these certain moments everything else is beeing constructed.
Like the main corridor of a school-building with all the rooms at the sides.
The rooms purpose, classes, age and even sometimes the size are different each time, but the corridor remains the same in every school except some surface changings like tapestry or paint and colour of these.

It is like you would have a deja-vue in regulated timeall distances.
For example did i have the following experiences in my life yet:
writing something in a forum, (even though i didn´t have internet)
thinking about shaving my hair in school
writing a test in the same time, the same furniture, the same order of seats and people standing up because they are done (in different schools and classmates)
going around a certain corner in the same way, same time, same formation with the same number of friends, and with the exact same thoughts and things that were talked about in that moment (in different ages and buildings)

Its almost like algebra. Many x´s and y´s are the same every day, but the very VERY high number of matches, that come at the same time is the strange thing.

A such high continuety of repetation is , mathematically seen, impossible.

But maybe is my brain only reliving the same things everytime and only refilling the gaps with what comes in the between-time?
Or maybe does life only repeat itself in these key-points who dominate our whole life?

And here´s a trick question as "match" for the computer-question:
If there is a tree falling in a forest where no one lives , does he make a noise?

Oh and the sliders series rocked. I still hate RTL for having it replaced with "Power Reangers number three billion"

Level 7
Yes actually. Its all a qestion of the reverberations of air. Just because there's no one to hear it doesn't mean the laws of nature are going to change for that one tree. If a tree falls it creates reverberations in the air which make the particles vibrate or whatever and the sound is there. The laws of nature don't change that often you know....

Please try to pay attention to your writing so I need not have to correct you this much.

Level 21
Malufa said:

Another hypotheses forwarded is the idea that each universe is completely seperate and unique onto itself, where the similarites are more a matter of coincidence than any "design". I personally believe in both, for niether wholly satisfies an all inclusive idea.

Isn't that M theory? Where there are infinate universes each different, with each thier own physical properties, all floating around in the 11th dimention in little membranes that create big bangs (and new universes) each time these membranee touch?

Level 12
Healingpoison said:
The 4th Dimension is time.

That is a theory long since disproved by quantum science. The fourth dimension is still a spatial extension that is currently near impossible to see. Time is merely the quantum "glue" which holds space together.

Level 21
also this kid at school always says that time isnt actually real, it just something we made up to quantify reality or something weird. i dunno what he meant tho.

one thing i always ask that kid, is what would happen to time if we suddenly stopped moving? like our planet and our solar system and our universe all suddenly stopped movement, would our clocks speed up?

Level 12
Or perhaps it would stop and never restart? What would happen if nothing ever moved? What if it really does not move and you simply imagine that it does? Would that then make the thing you thought was imagined while you were imagining real? What is the definition of reality? How could it be proved? Why do our discussions always end up this way?

Level 21
Malufa said:
Or perhaps it would stop and never restart? What would happen if nothing ever moved? What if it really does not move and you simply imagine that it does? Would that then make the thing you thought was imagined while you were imagining real? What is the definition of reality? How could it be proved? Why do our discussions always end up this way?

Lol. Because you always bring up points of existence like that :p But i think they are very valid points so I will allow it :lol:

Can anyone answer my question though? Ignoring all the existance stuff, and imagining it in our perception of the world atm, would our clocks speed up?

Level 21
If you burst an ear drum you can infact smoke throught it, eighter by putting the cigarette in your ear and opening you eustachian tube as some people (like myself) can, followed by breathing in. Or, more impressively, smoking it through your mouth and then blowing the smoke out of your ear in a similar fasion.

Level 12
*Deleted three of asasin850's post for too many grammatical errors, warning has been previously given and went unheeded. Further blatant displays will result with similar results* Seriously, I am getting tired of fixing everyone's posts and he is from Australia where they know how to type english better than I learned.

Here is an interesting idea:

Ever wonder how it is that so many wonderful things come from the potatoe? There are mashed potatoes, backed, oven-fried, frites, stuff backed, squared, wedges, belgium fries, and my personal favourite: Vodka. I just think it is rather interesting. Did you know you can live off of just cheese, potatoes, and rice for years without malnutrition? I know this because this is how I got through most of college. Oh, and Kool-Aide, that stuff is awesome.

Level 4
They threw a BIG party and yelled: "YES!!! ATLAST NO MORE FUKIN POTATOES!!!"
Then they ran out of alcohol so they went to France to continue the party.
They didnt want the englishmen to know this so they wrote a note saying: "Were dead. Also, there are no potatoes so FUC...." The note was torn at the end.
The englishmen, however, *edited* this story a TINY bit.
(they left out the note part and the fact that they took almost all "survivors" as slaves)

Level 21
Personally I like red wine.

Because ice sheet are mostly in remote places, we tend not to appriciate their size. Altogether perminant ice covers some 6 million square miles of the Earth's land - and area the size of south America. And on top of that 1/4 of the earth's water is ice or in a state of permafrost.

Level 4
@ Malufa: Lol!
@ GST_Nemisis: Really? I didnt know that.
The thing I really love about the Hive is that its the only forum where you can learn usefull(?) stuff.

Level 21
lol yeh personally i love facts about the world around us, and when you have heard some of the ones i know it makes you apprichiate our existance. for example, something i think about often, is that if the whole history of the universe didnt go exactly how it did, down the last atom, i might not be here.

Level 4
I like the way you think!
Its very interesting!
I never think like that cuz then I get more stuff on my mind and I REALLY dont need that right now!

Level 12
Aye, there is a lot of interesting knowledge that most people posses but rarely share or even acknowledge that they have. I find that rather sad and wish that more people would be open with it. I know that Dan and I both like interesting, if trivial, data. Did you know a 6.500 year old gold necklace was found in greece?

Level 4
6500?! :eek: What was it made of? Gold? Bronze? Rocks?
Now thats interesting. The human race is only about 10.000 years old.
Looks like they wanted to look fancy really early...

Level 12
Aye, I am most curious as to what he means. But even if he meant civilization as being only 10.000 years that would be too short for the Sumerians and the Byzentines.

Level 4
Ok so I wrote human race. I meant civilized man.(ppl not living in caves n' shit)
Rough numbers.

*Im sorry if my stupidity annoys you, but I will try to get smarter*

Level 12
Civilization is about 100k years, give or take 10k years, depending upon your definition of civility.

Level 21
Several times a day, for several days, you induce pain in someone. You control the pain with morphine until the final day of the experiment, when you replace the morphine with saline solution. guess what? The saline takes the pain away.

This is the placebo effect, doctors have known about the placebo effect for decades, and experiments seem to show that the placebo effect is somehow biochemical. But apart from that, we simply dont know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four years ago, a particle accelerator in France detected six particles that should not exist. They are called tetraneutrons; four neutrons that are bound together in a way that defies the laws of physics. So did they really find those particles? or are our perceptions of physics wrong?

Level 12
No, it is from the perception of the observers that it happened. Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Theory is filled with idiosynchcracies like that. When you partially close your door and a light outside of your door is on you get a blueish-grey edging of the doors shadows. Only shadows from doors do this and only while a person is observing it. If one sets up a video camera of it there is no recording of it, even if it has a person looking at the shadow while it is recording the camera will "see" nothing.

Level 21
Myth!

A penny dropped from the top of a tall building could kill a pedestrian

A penny isn't the most aerodynamic of weapons. A combination of its shape and wind friction means that, tossed even from the 1,250-foot Empire State Building, it would travel fast enough merely to sting an unlucky pedestrian.

Myth!!

Water drains backwards in the Southern Hemisphere due to the Earth's rotation

Not only is the Earth's rotation too weak to affect the direction of water flowing in a drain, tests you can easily perform in a few washrooms will show that water whirlpools both ways depending on the sink's structure, not the hemisphere.

Myth!!!

Humans use only 10 percent of their brains
This media darling has been around for at least a century. Fortunately, it's just not true. MRI imaging clearly demonstrates—with fancy colors no less—that humans put most of their cerebral cortex to good use, even while dozing.

Fact!!!!

A dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's

Despite a habit of licking things no human would dare, Fido's mouth is often touted as scientifically more sterile. Truth is, oral bacteria are so species-specific that one can't be considered cleaner than the other, just different.

Level 12
Myth: Your actions do not matter

Fact: Every action has a relevatn effect on even the mundane, physical, non-quantum world. Every step wear away at the crust of the planet, every breath kills millions of bacteria and allows hundreds of plants to live. Every bite of food, every fart, each pee changes the ecosystem. Even when you jump you are altering the orbit of the Earth.

Quantum Fact: Every choice not taken happens in an alternate reality that exists at a slightly different harmonic vibration to our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.