• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Make You Think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i found this on there which is kinda of intresting.

Cosmic Conspiracies said:
In recent weeks Cosmic Conspiracies stumbled across evidence on a military website that the US Military are at present working on a project that involves similar materials to those found at Roswell. This new material has the ability to morph into any 3D shape and will be used for aircraft and missiles. We will be releasing this information within the next couple of weeks, including photos and names of those involved!

have u heard about ne of this? it somehow reminds me of aerogel.

Level 5
Not sure if this was posted but:
-If you travel faster then the speed of light (3.0*10^8) you can "supposedly" travel back in time, because you are moving faster then your surroundings.
-Radio waves are approximatly the size of buildings (i think 1*10^2 meters) Imagin waves passing through you that reach a crest of 100m! The extreme left of the electromagnetic spectrum have waves that are the size of mountains! Therefore, gamma rays (extreme right) are the size of sub-atomic particles.
-Uranium has a half life of about 4 billion years, which is about how long the earth's been around. When it decays, it becomes lead.

I hope I've left you with something to think about :)

Level 12
There are multiple theories of what happens when one goes faster than light, we will eventually find out.

Yes, that is why Gamma rays are so deadly.

Makes ya think about the fact that we have so much lead on earth and in space, huh :wink:

Dan: Remember, my friend, it is a conspiracy theory website, not factual. They have just as much of a chance to start saying the fountain of youth is found as the Weekly World News, which is hilarious to read but is not actual real data.

Level 5
Did America (or anyone for that matter) really land on the moon? Or was it filmed in Area 52?
I saw a TV show on that a few years back, and they had all sorts of cool evidence to support their argument.

Level 12
Just think of it like this, can you ever really prove anything? How do you know you where immunized to polio when you were little and not just given a placebo? There is no need to worry about everything, you can question everything, but you do not need to think of secret conspiracies and all that sort of rubbish.

Level 21
Shados said:
If by aerogel you mean that crazy gel stuff that an inch of can protect you from the heat pf a blowtorch and also happens to be ultr-light, then that stuff is the ownage!

lol yeh its soooo cool! i really want some but its like $50 per cubic centimeter or something. and i never had polio or tetnas, i had the rest tho. i should probably get them done or something.

Level 12
Kinda reminds me of a special steel created about 8 years back. The stuff had almost the same tensile strength as spider's silk and was so light it floated when on O3.

Level 12
It was awhile ago and the process was never meant for mass production, just to prove that it could be done. That supercollider sounds decent tho, good luck with it.

Level 21
i think theres one for each half, it doesnt matter which is which because me and William both did alot of stuff for the forums, clans and whatever else regarding Ralle and the hive. if i were to take a guess i got the second half because Malufa was less active (if active at all). but i think now we have cooled down on it alot, Maulfa has been away for various reasons and is now married which i would guess takes up alot of time, and as for me i have moved away from computer games and im here more for conversation than gaming.

Level 12
Aye, I have been away very much, but I try to come here at least once a day. Does it really even matter if someone wins the award? It does not mean a whole lot, just a new title really. Anyways, back to my point; I do not have one.

Yay, conversation is good :)

Level 12
Well how about this to be both amazed and thought provoking. We are just a few short years away from topographical quantum computers! For those of you unfamiliar with the whole process, here is a quick run-down of what I mean.

"Classical" computers run off of binary system, 1 and 0, there or not, power nor no, signal or abscense, et cetera. Current computer only know yes or no, if yes go to one step, if no go to another.

Quantum computers work off of variations of binary, meaning the whole spread between yes and no. Think of it like a sphere, 1 is the north pole, 0 is the south pole. Quantum computers work in the entire sphere, not just the two poles.

This not only will aid in decryption techniques by leaps and bounds, but it will help usher in true artificial intelligence...

Level 36
well, if technologies like ArenaNet get big enough, and a bit more refined, perhaps it will be. Guildwars was a big step in that direction, despite whatever people say about it, plus, arenanet was made by some of the same people that brought you battle.net, so imagine if (looks at sky hopefully) there is a warcraft 4, how refined te battle.net will be. No more errors when trying to join a game! Like, this game could not be found, this game has already started, or when it wont let you refresh for abnormally long periods of time! Or...we could just have lag free multiplayer. Either or really :p

Level 36
Arena.Net is a service for online play (similar to battle.net except for MMO style games) that allows them to keep guildwars completely free. I haven't been able to find in depth details on how it works, but it minimizes the cost of mantaining and operating the servers, so the don't have to charge you monthly to make up for that would-be cost

Level 21
sounds intresting, i have heard of ideas where instead of having many main computers as servers there is only one, then the players screen is loaded on the players computer and data is sent to the player from other players instead of the main computer. so in other word everyone runs of everyones computer. your computer only loads the level/area you are in, and the data of characters is sent to your computer by the computer of that character, and if another layer interacts with an object, the interaction data is sent to everyone in the area from that computer. also i have heard that players send data to new players joining, so if a player joins, the player already on there tells the joining player where all the items are.

Level 5
I just think that computers are advancing at an alarming rate, and although this has advantages...my computer will be out-dated 5 times over! Sadly technology is simply a moneymaking scheme as is everything else. I wish that it were a little bit cheaper... A new computer is like 2-3k AUD :(

Level 12
What I would do is find out what the absolute best system is right now, piece by piece. Itemize the list, then store it for one year. After the year is up take it out and reprice it, it should be at most 1000US and you still have a computer ahead of the times in terms of like 99% of all games availible for at least 2 years. You just saved like 7\8k and did not wait very long at all.

Level 12
Well if I had less money, yes, I would do that. That is what I did back before I made anything so I pretty much had to do that to have a good computer. Smart trick tho. It is like when you buy a car never buy a new one, always get it used. Also never buy a car if it was made as the first year of that model, buy the second or theird design for it unless you want major factory design flaws.

Level 18
Malufa said:
Well how about this to be both amazed and thought provoking. We are just a few short years away from topographical quantum computers! For those of you unfamiliar with the whole process, here is a quick run-down of what I mean.

I think I mentioned quantum computers a while back, it will take quite some time to finish one, seeing as they're building them atom by atom. Still, once the process has been created it is likely machines will mass-produce them.

Level 12
The current problem is the near absolute zero temps the anyons need to survive and work properly.

Level 12
I probably could not explain it other than saying that they can be anything between 1 and 0, which is not a good explanation...

Level 36
I like insanely fast computers. Would reduce having to buy lots of RAM, even though RAM is pretty cheap, and, if you wanted a hardcore system, you could go quantum instead of paying 11 thousand for 16 GIG's of RAM, like in the new Mac Pro, it's like a 20 thousand dollar system, obviously for the creative pro's who need that kind of stuff...

Level 5
In mathamatical theory, 0/0 can actually equal 1.
Any number divided by itself equals 1, so why can't 0/0 equal 1?
hehe

Level 21
Are You Ready For Something Hard To Read And Hard To Write????
Here Goes.....

Pyrite said:
In mathamatical theory, 0/0 can actually equal 1.
Any number divided by itself equals 1, so why can't 0/0 equal 1?
hehe

the reason this does not work is simple, diving work by thinking "how many lots of?" in 1 there are 1 lots of 1, so if you say how many 1s in 1, well there is 1! how many 2s in 2? well there is one 2 in 2! if you try it with 0, becuase 0 is nothing, there cannot be any 0s in 0. so there nothing is zero. however this does not work in real terms, if you thought how many nothings in nothing it is impossible, but you could argue that because nothing is the infinate opposite of everything there is infinate nothings in nothing, but this is only considering 0 as nothing in real terms, not 0 as a number. whatever the case it is not 1. i may not be articulating my ideas correctly, but hopefully you can follow what im saying.

well i read he idea that -1 X -1 is actually -1. and also the idea does make sense. basically 1X1 means one lot of one, like 1X2 means one lot of two which is two, and 2X2 is two lots of two which give four. if you do this with negative numbers and do -1X-1 it means one less than zero (0-1) lot of one less than zero, which would equal -1 not 1. if you can see what i mean it kinda makes sense, to be hounest i dont really understant it myself. another way to think of it is why does -1X-1 = 1? who gave negative numbers the properties that they have, why isnt a negative number just the opposite of a positive number? instead a negative number is completely different from a positive number. if they were truly opposite (while they are opposite when adding and subtracting together) they are not opposite when multiplying and dividing, but actually decimal numbers are opposite. it may seem very confusing but if you make some sense out of it then good :p as i said i dont really understand it myself, if i can find the article i will post it because it was actually quite intresting, aswell as crazy! might have been something the timecube guy said :p

Level 12
Think in real terms here Dan. If you muliply -1 by -1 you have a negative negative, which equals a positive. Multiplying two negatives equals a positive. Think of it like this: How many negative ones can do you have in negative one? The answer is one. How many negative ones do you have in a positive one? The answer is a negative because you lack it.

Brad, you cannot divide any number by 0 as it is not a true number. 0 is a place holder, it has no value, thus cannot be divided as it is not "in" any number. It is the same reason for why when you multiply it you get a 0, it is not a real or imaginary number, it simply is a place holder. If you get into Quantum Mechanics we actually deal with varying degrees of 0, which can get really really really confusing to try to explain to people, so I will not even try. Hell, I am still trying to explain it to my wife after over 5 months, so I will not even begin to bother here, sorry.

Does this all make sense or do I need to clarify it some more?

Level 12
You cannot divide any number by zero as zero is not in any number. It is like taking an orchard of apples and dividing it by the amount of rats in France, they are totally different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.