• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Make You Think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
well personally i dont like all this "humans suck" stuff. i like humans and that my opinoin. were not all bad, we have created some of the greatest things imaginable, harnessed the power of the atom and seen to distant lands. we are fantastic and i dont care what anyone says. yes you could argue that we are destroying the planet, well i believe we will use our intelligence and fix this problem. i believe we may well be able to fix all our problems, because i believe we can.

Level 12
Well I have my own reasons for despising humanity, it is not like I exactly see the best specimens you have to offer in my line of work.

Level 21
It's like the rage against the machine song guerrilla radio:

"The camera's eye of choice disguised"

The song is about war, mainly in africa, and how we are shown what the government wants to show us. How true that is i dont know, ive never been there so i cant say, but i love those lyrics.

as for a post i saw previously, we can tel to an extent that we all see the same colours because our rod and cone cells can be measure by how they impulse at different wave lengths of light. this means we can acuratly measure what colours the cells are seeing by how the impulse. However i dont know if the brain would somehow interprit this differently for everyone? perhaps there has been research into it. but i know for a fact our eyes all impulse the same when they see the same colours.

Level 12
However, if you wish to speak of a purely biological factor consider the course of a disease. You can give the same exact disease to two different people and have it react in totally different manners. The disease is the same, the person's biology reacts in the same way, but one is immune while in the other it is fatal. Same principle applies, same stimuli but different consequences.

Level 21
yes that is true, but im just saying there is evidence to show that there is a realationship between the colours we see for most people, they see a colour, whatever it may be, the respective cone an rod cells impulse and the brain receives and "translates" them into an image. this is the same for most people because there cells work the same or similarly. however, i can understand if the brain was to decode it differently for everyone, perhaps because of different types of brain development, but i know that everyone would see colour bright ness and darkness the same.

Level 12
Ah, but now we enter another quandry; just because their eyes may or may not tell them said brightness do they perceive it to be just as bright?

Level 1
It is real AND also unreal. vice versa.
We are blessed but also messed up by language.

Edited for language, first warning

Level 12
This thread is much older than the thread you mention, plus it does indeed 'make you think' which is why niether of us has moved it. Do not be so hasty to use your newly given powers, Dan and I would have moved it had we seen the need for it.

Also, Illusion, I ask you to read our rules and not to swear again as it violates our code.

And what do you mean that you think language messes us up? Please explain yourself on that topic.

Level 21
oh yeh that is true, it was from questions but i didnt realise that. my bad. but i dont think they should be merged because one is for questions and this is for statements. language is what makes us great, the ability to share emotions and idea and communicate in such a varied and creative way is amazing, language is as great a discovery as fire.

Level 12
Well as I have said previously, language is indeed amazing. In fact I would venture to say that language, and the ability to comprehend it if not fully understanding it, is even more important than fire.

Think of it like this; fire is all good and well, it does many useful things for the person who uses it. However, it does that person good, maybe even their immediate associates. However, because of language other people are able to reap the benifits of fire as well because they are now able to learn how to make it and spread it around.

It is like having a single sword made of adamantium, the blade is awesome, can never be broken, and is pretty much the best blade you can ever have, fiction not withstanding. However, it is far more advantageous to have and entire armoury of said swords, rather than just one. Language gives that ability to all sentient Races.

Level 3
I believe adamantium is a fantasy metal, which is incredibly good for making weapons. It turns up in the Forgotten Realms books, which are really good! Long live Drizzt Do'Urden. :D

Level 12
It is also in Final Fantasy, Marvel, DC comics, Devils Due comics, and the Celtic myths of the creation of the world.

Level 1
I meant we should always try to remember our original purples and idea when using lauguage. Our mind is easily misguided and covered by this form of tool we created ourselves.

Question: Do you think in mind and then express it by using lauguage or think in lauguage and then express it dirrectly by lauguage?

Level 18
Well, most people think in words, pictures, sounds/music, numbers, or shapes mostly depending on what they do and stuff. I normally think in pictures and letters but sometimes sounds. Also, when I have my best ideas, I think not in any of those, but in meanings, I do not mean words, it's kind of hard to explain, =/.

Level 12
You mean you think in archetypesm the fundamental meaning of something such as a word or personality which cannot be adequetly described to another person.

I sometimes think of archetypes, the majourity of the time I think even more abstractly than that as I usually view things from both a "long perspective of about a thousand years as well as how it inter-relates with everything around and near it.

Level 21
well its like if we hadnt been taught language we wouldnt be able to think of the computer as the word computer. but we would think of it as computer the object, we would see an image not a word. the whole idea of "metal talking" is brought along by language. however, this does not mean we wouldnt have thought without language, thats just silly. when you say

Do you think in mind and then express it by using lauguage or think in lauguage and then express it dirrectly by lauguage?

well we think in language if we are trying to make a sentence, we think in images if we are trying to remember what something looks like. the way we think depends entierly what we are thinking of but we think the same as we experience it (sounds, image, touch ect.)

Level 18
Malufa said:
You mean you think in archetypesm the fundamental meaning of something such as a word or personality which cannot be adequetly described to another person.

No, that's not what I mean. The meaning I might be thinking might have a perfectly adequate word for the context I'm thinking it in, but the meaning also encompasses all it's possible connotations and something similar to your "how it inter-relates with everything around and near it", it's also something more than that but as I said before, it's rather hard to explain.

Level 21
i would guess there would be problems like heat dissipation and interface speed. just because the drive is huge doesnt mean it will be any faster. i would like to see more work into interface speeds, PCIexpress is good. the article wasnt very clear on the specs, i wonder if it will be limited by disk rotation speed like curent hard drives and i would also like to know if it can read and write at the same time, that would be amazing.

Level 12
That thing would be a bitch to find anything on, much less run anything on it since it needs to find it everytime. I am happy with my 1/2 TB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.