• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Locals and hashtable etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi, I need someone to help me with custom spells I made.
Answer only if you master locals and hashtable so it would be very easy and fast for you to help me.
I wanna PAY you (paypal only) to do it so I can see how it works and learn by myself then.
(I would send my unprotected map to you so you have to be a serious person)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So what is your problem exactly?

World Editor Help Zone is to help you solve a problem using World Editor. If you are looking to recruit people to work on your map try the Project Recruitment section. If you are just looking with help for particular pieces of a map try the Requests section.

Now that Warcraft III supports Lua you might want to look into the many tutorials for that language. Hashtables are not needed at all due to native table support.

Level 9
What is so precious on your map that you can't post it here?

I'd gladly help free of charge, the price being that you don't protect your map so that others can learn from it.
Fact is that original map wasn't protected and then lot of people did "shit editing" like unbalanced stuff and allows cheat etc.... This kind of things ruin a map.
So I don't want it to be shared...

Level 8
What is so precious on your map that you can't post it here?

I'd gladly help free of charge, the price being that you don't protect your map so that others can learn from it.

I think the issue with leaving a map open is that people will make a million off-shoots that are hard to distinguish from the official releases.
If people would label their offshoots accordingly, it wouldn't matter.
What we need is a form of map protection that makes it possible to distinguish official releases from fan-branches, to avoid having 4 different versions of "Map Title version 4.3" in your map folder all of a sudden, and to avoid having, as OP put it, "shit edits" where some pre-teen spammed a million tomes at the center of the map or made some secret cheats.

Now that Warcraft III supports Lua you might want to look into the many tutorials for that language. Hashtables are not needed at all due to native table support.

Considering that he is struggling with GUI/Hashtables, wouldn't it be considerably harder to learn LUA?

Last edited:
Level 12
This is why Hive is the best site out there for warcraft.

If someone wants to download your official version there's one place and one place only where they can do it. No one can take your username and no one can reupload the same map to Hive without moderators taking it down.
People will take your map and reupload it to other sites and change it, but you will never be able to stop that, but you can use Hive as one sure place for your original work.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Considering that he is struggling with GUI/Hashtables, wouldn't it be considerably harder to learn LUA?
Depends. Lua is a lot more logical and widely used than GUI or JASS and is often the only scripting solution offered by some games.

Protecting maps can come back to bite you over the years. So many people protected their maps thinking it was a good idea only for them to come back later after having lost the only unprotected version and ask for their map to be deprotected. Many maps have been rendered unplayable by protection as well since the original author disappeared and no one can be bothered to fix them for newer Warcraft III versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.