• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LOAT: Life of a troll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
LOAT: Life of a troll

LOAT

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life of a Troll

BTNBloodLust.png

168864-albums3027-picture25519.jpg

LOOKING FOR:
[ ] decent animator
[ ] modeller
[ ] more time :)
[x] texturer
[x] logo maker
[x] good terrainer
[x] good GUI user
[ ] game balancer - not yet, later
[ ] ai maker - for bosses&guards. later
Introduction:
LOAT is, like the name suggests, mildly similar to Life of a peasant, although not that much. This RP game is inspired by and has some features of FL (Fantasy Life) and ITT (IslandTrollTribes). It describes the life of jungle trolls in the tribe society of a tropical island somewhere in the Great Sea.

Gameplay is similar to that of Fantasy Life, with the exceptions of needing to sleep and eat. Also this game has some nice features (some of which i havent seen before), among others including food, sleep, FSI, item crafting, court, reproduction and complex rezzing system.

Features

V Defeat - when a player is defeated in combat, he/she is not instantly killed, but beat up instead. that means that you dont have to kill your enemies(Pvp) to get their gold or some of their possessions. Or it can be seen as a method to duel. death is bad in this game.
V Food - is required for surviving, although it is not as important part of the game as in ITT.
V Sleep - is required, if the troll is too tired it will fall into coma and regen its hp, mana and sleep fast, while losing an amount of food. if the troll is attacked while in coma, the troll will lose an amount of hp and mana (if it doesnt kill him/her) and in return have a minimal amount of sleep.
O Property - every troll can buy a house (hut; some are even 2storied). pretty much just like FL. you can create decorations for your house with the crafting skill. some of them are usable for storage or cooking.
O Professions & Secondary Skills- every player can have 1 profession and all the secondary skills
Secondary skills:
o crafting - cant really be considered a 2ndary skill, since every player always has it. though you can advance in this skill too (need higher lvl for nicer items). you cant check most recipes anywhere, you can just read the basics, you have to figure out most of the stuff yourself.
o cooking - when you learn cooking you will have a skill (cookbook), when you learn Master cooking then you will have an additional cook-/spellbook inside the first one (not certain yet). inside a cookbook you will have different "recipes" (spells), when you click 1 of them and have the necessary ingredients (for some you may need to be near a fire or other source of heat), you will cook the selected food. you will need higher level of cooking for better foods
o fishing - when you have a fishing pole equipped and have learned the fishing skill, then, by clicking the fishing ability, you can try to fish something out of the water. for most fishes you will require a certain level of fishing skill.
Professions:
o mining - by targeting a rock with the mining ability, while having a pickaxe equipped, you can get some ore (sometimes even gems). for most rocks a certain level of mining is required.
o skinning - clicking the skin ability while next to a beast corpse, will give you the pelt typical to that species of animal. every player can use pelts/leather to make items with crafting (e.g leather -> 2xrope). non-skinners have to get their leather from skinners or fur-trader (npc).
o brewing - can make alchemical things when next to a cauldron. e.g healing potions, mana potions, buffing potions and poisons.
o smithing - (taught by an orc refugee) can make armor and weapons out of ores. can get ores from either a miner or can randomly find next to rocks. must be next to an anvil to smith
o jewelcrafting - can make rings (and maybe other things?) from gems and ores. can get gems from ores (prospect) or random loot from mining (other player)
o maybe something more added later - suggestions?
O Court System - when a player commits an act, which is considered unethical or criminal then someone should just type the command "-trial name" where "name" is replaces by the name of the criminal (player). then every other player in game (it is advisable to have many players) *will have to vote "-guilty" or "-not guilty". meanwhile, both the accused and the accuser can pose arguments about the accusation. when a time limit exceeds then the votes are counted and the decision will be made. when there is an even number on the "guilty" and "not guilty" votes then the decision will be made in favour of the accused player (not guilty). when a player is found guilty, then other players will vote on the punishment:
o jail - the player will be put in jail (big cage), where he/she cant attack or be attacked
o banish - the village will be hostile towards the player (guards will attack when in village and cant trade with village npcs)
o execution - the player will be burned alive in front of the village (maybe other means of execution will be added later)
o kick from game - when someone really doesnt understand how to play nice
O Resurrrection - dying is really bad!! when a troll (player) dies in this game, his spirit will have to find a way to live on.
first, he can return from the point of spirit release to the npc that revives the players for money. you have to have paid for a revive spell beforehand. you will be revived with the exp&lvl saved from the last payment, while you cant avoid losing all property (including gold, items and houses) and your profession. you will be basically a new troll.

secondly, you can be reborn as one of your children (you have to be one of the two parents of the child, not the owner/controller and you cant know if you are the parent of the child unless you are dead and try to be reborn as that child (possession-like ability). you will have the level of the child, which can be trained before death with the "teach" ability. you will be as mature as the child was before rebirth.
in the case, where you cant be revived in either of these two ways and your timed life expires, you will be free. unless, that is, someone has trapped your soul inside your shrunken head forever (see headhunter description&abilities for more details). when someone destroys the shrunken head, then your spirit will be free again.
when you are a free spirit then there is no way for you to live. you can only choose between going to spirit world and resting in peace, or becoming a restless spirit that haunts the world forever. or until exorcised by a witch doctor. but since it is hard to pinpoint a spirit, it will be serious business exorcising a restless spirit. the spirit can choose to use his powers (will be minuscule effective abilities, but can make a difference in the long run & with some luck) for aiding it's former allies or to seek revenge on those who are to be blamed for the death in the first place.

O Reproduction - trolls can mate (not animated and w/o sounds). The male troll uses his ability on the female when in proximity of a bed. if the female troll has mating with her enabled, then there's a chance she will become pregnant (hopefully will add visual effect for pregnancy) for the next 9 days (months would be too long in terms of gameplay). if the time has passed then she will give birth to a troll child. the player whoever gives food first to the child will gain it's ownership/control (will earn child's trust). the parents will be marked with custom value.
after some 5 years (days ingame) the child will become adolescent. trolls can teach their children important things. with an ability that gives exp to the child, so the more you teach your child, the higher lvl will you be revived (see next point). also, a player can teach his/her children rudimentary class skills. headhunter will teach some protective/combat skill, witch doctor = some basic heal, voodoo priest = some DOT, beast master = some useful survival ability, thief = some damage or deception ability. naturally, the children, too, have to be fed. you can kill other players' children, if you have the chance, but probably:
players will hunt you down and turn you inside out for it
O FullScreen Inventory - probably Anachron's :)
Classes
these abilities are lore-oriented, but really sketchy. i was planning on giving them simple abilities based on stats. also i use hero abilities only for the player to choose stats (str, agi, int) as in diablo2. player would get some class abilities after every 2-3 levels. i could really use some ability ideas here, since in my original plan included having about 11 or better 20 spells. (this ability system idea is largely based on that of Fantasy Life)

THIEF - dagger, sword - AGI - as the usual rpg, this game also has a rogue class. i dont have any original ideas for abilities for this class.

BTNAmbush.png
Stealth - pretty much like in wow (be invisible from certain range, until detected)
icons_1439_btn.jpg
Vanish - like in wow (enters stealth even while in combat), though im gonna make it more like a smokebomb (modified cloud ability, all invulnerable in cloud), i think.
icons_1449_btn.jpg
Rupture - DamageOverTime ability
icons_1484_btn.jpg
Backstab - damage ability
BTNMoonKey.png
Picklock - maybe. there isnt much to unlock :p
icons_1130_btn.jpg
PickPocket - get some loot from humanoids. maybe ill add that you can steal from players too (only from the usual 6slot inventory, so not too evil)
HEADHUNTER - 1hsword, 2hsword, 2hmace, 1hmace, 1haxe, 2haxe, shield - STR - the tank class with some additions. i dont have any good ability ideas for this class.
BTNWhirlwind.png
Bladestorm - the usual
BTNWarStomp.png
Stomp - kinda lame, but i think yes
BTNDefend.png
Block - just like defend of footman, increases block, decreases speed
icons_6010_btn.jpg
Decapitate - after killing a humanoid, cut his head off and with some abilities make a shrunken head (trinket/trophy). every player can equip a shrunken head, but only headhunter can make. the stronger the humanoid was, the better the shrunken head from him.
BEASTMASTER - 1haxe, 1hsword, shield, spear (only ranged weapon in game) - STR - tames a pet, fights alongside with it. has its stats (int, str, agi) shared with the pet by a %. im lacking ability ideas for this class.
icons_1470_btn.jpg
Control Beast - controls for the pet: follow, stay, attack (closest enemy), maybe beast special ability too
icons_1467_btn.jpg
Tame Beast - cant have both control and tame at the same time. have to disband the first pet to tame another one.
BTNSpy.png
Track - if someone could make some spell like this, then it would be awesome!
BTNLionHorn.png
Horn of the Hunt - gives friendly units a buff
VOODOO PRIEST - Staff, (more?) - INT - this class is kinda like wow warlock, connected with dark magics and is more offensive. some of this classes' spells are based on the voodoo doll. so that when casting a spell, the effects are applied to the enemy (that the voodoo doll targets). i dont have any good spell ideas.
BTNSacrifice.png
Stab - stabs the enemy for minor damage. the objective of this ability is to get a blood sample for making a voodoo doll (see next).
BTNShadowPact.png
Make Voodoo Doll - creates a voodoo doll to be used in better spells. is made from stick+blood sample+<insert voodoo mumbo-jumbo here>.
BTNCurse.png
Curse - curses the enemy to deal less damage... bla bla more negative buffs
BTNWallOfFire.png
Immolate - immolates the target of the voodoo doll for major DOT
BTNHex.png
Hex - the usual
thumb_BTNDoom.png
Summon Fetish - maybe??? i would use this lovely skin
icons_559_btn.jpg
Angry Spirits - i dont know where, but i saw something like: orbs rotate around the caster (loosely, not like poison/frost orb) dealing damage to anyone who they hit, and when a unit is killed, then it will be revived to serve the caster.
BTNBoneChimes.png
Consume Dreams - can only target sleeping enemies. gives somekind of negative buff and removes some of the gained rest (if target is a player)
WITCH DOCTOR - Staff, (more?) - INT - the healer and support class. lacking spell ideas.
BTNBigBadVoodooSpell.png
Big Bad Voodoo - just like the usual one (chanelling makes all allies in range invulnerable, exept self)
BTNHealingWave.png
Chain heal - the usual
BTNHeal.png
More Healing Spells And Stuff - ??
BTNHealingWard.png
Make Healing Ward - makes a ward from stick+otherstuff, that can be placed anywhere
BTNGuardianWard.png
Make Serpent Ward - makes a ward from stick+snake(lol not really)
BTNEntrapmentWard.png
Make Death Totem - i dont know, just a random idea i got from studying troll language. could be some killer ability. maybe that you place four of these and when any unit (ally or enemy) steps between them, it takes massive damage while lifted into the air slightly. but this would probably be imba (must have something negative about it...)
BTNSentryWard.png
Make Some Other Ward - maybe
Team
karland90 - alpha troll
Fan - modeling (leaving)
CHA_Owner(NAMM) - UI
Pharaoh_ - GUI
lelyanra - texturing & icons

just gives the general idea. will not use this model as a pc
168864-albums2935-picture24572.jpg

eesti17 - first main ideas
Riptokus - main ideas
Alagremm - consulting on lore
more people here actually, full list will be added to the map

UPDATE1: general + reproduction&resurrect
UPDATE2: minor stuff: finished sleep system, added class background links, updated LF list
UPDATE3: updated LF list, changed picture, updated thread design
UPDATE4: finished duel/defeat system
UPDATE5: added the beta map

Attachments

• LOAT beta 0.1c.w3x
    862.2 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
Level 14
actually only the name is taken from loap. i dont like loap (and it's million edits) that much. but since my game is similar to fantasy life (and fantasy life is simliar to loap) then it is kinda lope-like. i really hope this will be more awesome ^^

Last edited:
Level 14
im not sure about mating without a bed. i thought that i could make a "portable bed", like a sleeping bag or so... with this model by Cavman ^^

they will basicly be the same as in FL (can enter, with door, etc), with the exception of being huts - have leather/wood walls instead of 1 meter thick stone walls.

Level 14
Will you have a version with animations and sounds (regarding reproduction :D)

... just call it Smex...

Anyhow this sounds promising :p

idk, maybe i will make a poll for this xD

but i personally prefer no sounds (and definetely no animations LOL)
*starts thinking how the animations would look like...*
...would be hard to make too
for sounds i could use those from wow ("hit" "critical hit" <- listen to those, they sound so pron)

Level 1
Sounds interesting :thumbs_up:,but i have problem with classes like beastmaster -donthave any spell for attack
woodoo priest- to many spells :D other classes have 4 etc but priest has 8.

you could make heroes spells count same as other heroes spells count???

Level 14
yea, these are just my basic ideas. will get to details when general stuff is completed.

so far i have had the most ideas for the voodoo priest (as you noticed) :)

in pefection they would all have some 11 or even 21 class abilities

Level 14
Seems to be interesting. So, in a nutshell, the gameplay is a combination between ITT and LoaP? Hopefully it can be played in Singleplayer.

ITT and FL (fantasy life), just name is from loap
well that was the basic idea, yes.

later on i found out how little i know of these games (especially FL). it seems i havent really experienced a full multiplayer game (usually played with 1-3 players)

Level 14
UPLOADED THE DEMO MAP FINALLY!!!
- the trolls will be jungle trolls
- the rez system is only done until the timed life part
- food & sleep system is basically done
- defeat/beat system is added (with gold&loot dropping)
- keyboard movement and camera system by the_witcher is added

please tell which one of the three hut walls you like the most. which one should i use? btw i will make all the huts larger than the two smaller ones. the biggest huts will be as big as the biggest one now. and they will include doors. (lol didnt think about the windows... will make those too i think)

- will fine tune the pathing and cameras later (/evil grin)
- the hydra is only there to kill you
- there is some food for player 1 and 2 in the jars, but the rest will starve to death

-map at first post-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.