1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Lithion's Awakening SPRPG

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Veritas 117, Oct 17, 2012.

1. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    FINE ! take ur time and give us a massive campaign !

2. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    I will try and Massive is definitely correct hahaha. I don't know what I was thinking making it so large, I guess I just wanted to use all of my ideas. I could never have imagined it would be such an undertaking. Luckily I really enjoy working on it and there really is no deadline. So I will just keep calm and carry on...

What's your opinion as far as crafting and materials. Do you feel like it is a nice contribution to gameplay or does it seem convoluted and overly complex? I never liked the idea of carrying around a bunch of extra random crafting materials just in case you may need them later on, but I suppose if it's done right it can be pretty rewarding.

3. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    Crafting is awesome ! I got many similar stuffs in my campaign and they dont make the gameplay any complex. Tho, if u dont want to use a inventory swap system then U can create boxes or personal bags for heroes where they keep their items.

The Items can lateron be moved to the main inventory and use 'em to craft actual items.

Additionally, You can include people who the player can interact to and know which materials add up to create what kind of items. :cgrin:

4. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    I currently have an area that is basically a "safe haven" when the heroes are not near any enemies they can transport back to Lithion's Home using a 'Stone of Refuge' There is tons of extra inventory space here as well as a travelling vendor to sell excess items to.

The problem I have run into is that is seems to slow down the game when you have a full inventory and you have to drop something, get far enough away from enemies, transport home, drop off the item, return to your old item and pick it up. I thought about creating a system that calls a pet (like a dog or something) to come collect nearby items and automatically take them to your home to be put in storage.

I'm also trying to decide if there is a good way to show crafting recipes. I was thinking about adding them to my "Bookcase" There is a bookcase in Lithion's House and when you select it it has different options like lore books, treasure maps, etc. I think I could add crafting recipes to it too. This way you just have to select the desired recipe from a dialog box and a text message will show you what you need to create it. Either that or a "Crafting Table" that basically does the same thing, but you need to have the items in your inventory when you select the desired recipe in order to make it...

All these ideas sound good in theory I just really want to avoid it being to confusing or complicated for the player.
    Lithion's House
    [​IMG]

The red circles mark extra inventory spots. The yellow circle is the bookshelf. The green arrow is the crafting table and the blue arrow is the merchant.
    EDIT: For some reason there is a blue circle too. Disregard that, it is just a regular inventory spot.

5. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Looks like we are making some fine progress here. The house terrain looks great but personal opinion though, the statue looks out of... umm.. place? And they're quite spammed that could be lessen and substitute for something else of the same theme and that blends well with the statue if in case you plan to just lessen it.

Nevertheless, keep going and would like to hear more!

6. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    I totally agree. This is something I had done quite a while ago. The entire area slowly gets revamped, but the reason I haven't done it yet is because I have the same area in all of my maps so if I change it on one map I have to change it on all of them. I'll likely change the walls and floor as well. I'll most likely use doodads for the floor instead of that tile so I don't have to use that tile on every map.

Thanks for the support!!

7. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi Veritas, sry I didnt take the time to search carefully, but is there some demo version available? Your project loosk absolutely amazing :)

8. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks. I have a very very very, way too early Alpha version. There is a link on the OP

The problem is that there really isn't a lot to do. You can explore a couple of the maps. Start with Dillianhor Forest and if you go to the far left side of the map about half way down there is a path to the Callienth Mountains. (You need to use the blink in the heroes' satchel that I left there for testing purposes.)

9. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks, its very hard to see as everything is so shiny and colorfull :D

Will defenitely check it out tonight!

10. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds good. Please don't judge it too harshly. It really isn't meant for anything but messing around and testing out a few things. The lack of quests and progression can make it a bit confusing. I'm actually going to put a more updated version in the pastebin that makes a couple things easier (like remove the wall between Dillianhor and Callienth and make Edward's Tomb enterable (Boss fight in the Callienth Mountains)

11. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dude are you joking? Your map design is absolutely AMAZING!

I mean, we all have a life to live and I can see how much effort you already put into this project and besides that, one can feel the atmosphere already by now!

I love it, how you made or planned to make so many things interactive, so I just want to say, that you got a really good project there. it is actually fun to explore your first map and it does not even matter that much, that it is not finished!

quick general suggestion:
    -> I would use a player event like [pressing the up arrow key] to port the heroes to other parts of the map to prevent chaotic porting. (unless there is a reason, why you did it like you did it ^^)

Two technical questions:
    a)do you mind telling me, where you got these neat splashy water effects from?
    b)did you use .txt files to hide all the move, patrol icons apart from the attack icon?

----
    Anyway great campaign and I wish you a real good time proceeding :)

12. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow thank you so much! I really appreciate the kind words. What do you mean by porting around the map? Do you mean using blink or do you mean entering buildings?

As far as the technical questions, for the splashy effect I got it from this map
    And to hide the command buttons I can t find the tutorial I used but if I do I'll link it too.

Also be sure to check out the next map too. You can reach it by heading to the left side of the map near the middle. There's also the other hero available right there if you go near him. There is a lot of good stuff in that map. It will also boost you to level 10 right away so you can play with the abilities.

13. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    No worries, I think good work has to be named :)

Thanks a lot for the linked map, very creative terrain as well. And for the command buttons, would be nice but don't worry too much :)

Concerning the porting aorund, I meant the proting of units, once they enter a circle of power - when they enter buildings. Regarding the 2-3 heroes, it can be annoying to accidently come to close to one of these circles and then being ported automatically - but It is only my personal opinion.

Ah I forgot to go to this map, you just mentioned - I will do that next time.

I am also curious about the fishing. Will you implement a system, where the player has to press some keys or something like that or some passive process? (just because it always returns Test Test, which made me assuming that you are not sure yet?)

14. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh I see what you are talking about now. I have noticed a small amount of accidentally entering a building when I didn't want to. I think something like pressing an arrow key might be the way to go. I'm just not sure since the player will be using the arrow keys to move the camera occasionally so I wonder if there might be a better alternative. I'll do some testing and decide what I like best.
    Do you think it would be annoying to have to answer yes in a dialog every time you want to enter a building?

The fishing system is one of the newest things I have put in and there is no system in place yet for acquiring anything through fishing. I'm still trying to decide on what sort of rewards I want, whether it is actual fish that offer bonuses, or if it has to do with crafting. I'm always open to suggestions though

P.S. I found the tutorial for hiding the command buttons! here

15. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    the Problem is, that this is highly dependent on personal opinion. One may prefer the automatic version as the other likes triggered methods (as I do). I agree on your argument that moving the camera with the arrow keys already blocked them for further use. This would be unwanted again. There would be the ESC button (would be problematic with spellbooks though) or a dummy ability (only possible if you still have enough space in the command card.) I would say, still a dummy ability would be the best choice. But its more like a final polishing so I would leave it for later.

well I was asking, because I am reworking a 10 years old RPG like "Harvest Moon/ Zelda" themed map of mine and hopefully finishing it this year ^^. Therefore I created a fishing system where player have to throw a bait inside deep water and catch unit-based fish via bait movement and the arrow keys. If your interested, I can make a test map for you.

Thanks, I actually found the same tutorial but was interested if you found another way.

16. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your fishing system sounds awesome I'd love to take a look at a test map sometime. I've been trying to come up with a way that it would be a fun mechanic rather than just a tedious thing you feel like you have to do when you find a fishing spot.

I really appreciate all your insight and feedback. This is the kind of thing that really gets me motivated to keep working on my maps. It always amazes me where I can find inspiration.

17. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    you are welcome for the feedback and all :)

So here is a demo map : test
    It actually uses 3 abilities to go fishing - I forgot that I changed it so that the arrow keys are free again.

actually this is not a demo, it is the helper map, in which I developped this fishing system.

4 things to notice
    a) Fish will spawn to the left of the starting position.
    b) it is still a bit messy, and there is a LOT of debug messages in there, as well as the fish are created very randomly and so on. Tipp: Fish are kind of hard to catch if you do not type in "tech" to lvl up fishing knowledge.
    c) I was kind of lazy and did not elaborate the escape bevahiour of fish in the end. There is a almost not noticable random factor in their movements - I will probably do something like store a behaviour in the fish data in the future.
    d) I know it does not use structs and all and it can be more effectivly coded but it works for me. If there is someone, who knows what to do better, please PM me :)

I just realized, it is kind of an ability button hack and slash minigame but well I liked it back then so ..
    Have fun fishing!

18. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for that. It really is pretty unique. I might take a few things and change them up a bit but I like the idea of being able to do more than just throwing a net at a fishing spot.

Also, if anyone has any hero ability ideas and would like to contribute to my idea thread here I would certainly appreciate it. I'm working on a better system for upgrading abilities than simply increasing damage or a percent chance to do something.

19. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    you are free to take whatever you need from that. I am glad, if you can make a use out of it!

There is this strange movement bug of the bait though, I dont know what happens there :/

Well, I f I got something to contribute I will drop by and share my thoughts :)

20. Arad MNK

Arad MNK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Wow, this thread is alive again? Great!