• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Link your map here for an awesome review (fast response, deep check)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
This thread (which is similar to other threads) will give you a full review about your map, will include:
1- Rating, included with reasons of rating.
2- Recommendations/Suggestions for the map.
3- Links : Tutorials/Systems, those who will be VERY useful to the map.
4- Bug Reports : Will report any bug seen.
5- Tips : Could be map making tips, or ideas.

Here is the rating system :

1 - How easy to learn it (10%)
2 - The systems of the map (20%)
3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (20%)
4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (5%)
5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (10%)
6 - How much the maker worked (5%)
7 - The base idea of the map (10%)
8 - Is map balanced? (10%)
9 - Map Originality (5%)
10 - Text's Language/Grammar (5%)

Rating Scales:
C (1-50%) : Awful, needs plenty of work
B (50-62%) : Bad, but can be better
B+ (63-74%) : Good map, can be excellent if improved
A (75-85%) : Excellent map, only a few more work needed to be flawless
A+ (86+%) : Flawless, all done!

As an addition to make sure the map is good, i will check it with the World Editor, even if its protected (by any means, dont un-protect your map if its protected), also if you dont know how to do X/Y, i'll help you.

You can reward me (only if you want) by reputation points or a click on signautre.

Credit: Dark.Revenant for the idea of making map reviews.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Level 9
The Exiled City beta
I played your map twice, and checked it once with the world editor
The Results:

Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it: 7%
The text in the begin disappears so fast (the one includes the modes), and i started with normal mode, some spells arent very well described, you also have a good item descriptions.

2 - Map Systems: 14%
Yeah i havent seen something special, except the spell-show-text system, most of the systems were copied/edited from the DotA Template map, some leaks seen (though you removed many), creeps dont meet exactly (i mean scourge creeps will go facing the tower at a-bit-to-south, while sentinel go a-bit-to-north directions, so they dont meet), but the map has good spells though

3 - Map Graphics/Introduction and stuff : 13%
Me-Personally i dont think the Sentinel terrain suits its buildings, they are all about trees/nature, and are on a desert terrain. no custom models seen (in my eyes), terrain aint so good afterall )

4 - The Size of the map : 3%
You could compress the map much more, and reduce lag and loading time alot.

5 - Amount of bugs/leaks : 6%
When i played, creeps may go in wrong directions, sometimes stop, also the Summon Thorn spell, the tower cant attack the thorns! i could destroy the tower(s) alone easily, and yeah i saw some leaks in the map (once again, you cleaned many of them), there are also some Locals that arent setted to nulls.

6 - How much you worked : 4%
You worked well on this map, though some systems arent made in it, but thats good, thuogh the number of heroes is a sort-of-limited after the map is played alot

7 - Base idea of the map : 7%
Well, i can say its Just-Another-AoS-Map, there is nothing special in the ideas side except the areas where creeps spawn.

8 - Map Balancing : 7%
Yeah some heroes are stronger than others, some heroes are week, items prices arent calculated flawlessly

9 - Map Originality : 3%
Well, there are thousands of AoS maps, i just dont think that this map from all others is the best, and yeah once again some systems were shamelessly copied from DotA Template

10 - Text's Language/Grammer : 5%
I havent seen any mistakes with them.

Total Rating : 69%, good map, can be excellent if improved

My tips as an advanced map maker:
-Make sure you cleaned all leaks
-Try to customize your multiboard, with more options
-Add unique features/systems to the map, they are the key to success
-Use JASS (you can read JASS tutorials anywhere) to mainly remove BJs which also cause map lag
-Optimize the map with the Wedgitizer also (seek Tools)
-Add more heroes to the map, and rework on hotkeys, and only a bit more items
-Add descriptions to each hero's abilitys (when selecting the hero)
-Make the game mode and/or stuff on dialogues instead of -<mode>
-To destroy useless/wont be used triggers, with the function call DestroyTrigger(GetTriggeringTrigger())
-To make sure the map is fully balanced, by re-looking at heroes/items/abilitys/units

Know that most of the talk was on only 2-games and one check on the WE, and i said most of the cons i saw/remember

Map Reviewed.
If i made any mistake, you can respectivly remind/tell me about it.

Last edited:
Level 9
Police Catch Thief AI

I played your map 3 times, and a fast-check with the world editor

Here are the results:

Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (8%)
I Could easily understand what to do in the begin, but damn i didnt know where creeps spawn and where they go, also, do you know i havent realised that the base/towers/(and that other building) sell items! ) yeah there should be a bit more guide in the begin, but easy to understand afterall

2 - The systems of the map (14%)
The map systems were mostly good, though the custom spells are limited, the gold/lumber awarded system should be improved, because damn i didnt understand it in the begin, also, all of the 3 games i played, the map crashed with fatal error 3 times (one of them i didnt touch the pc, i was just watching), also creep movement system is bad, and item prices arent calculated "correctly" (i mean there is "unbalance" with items), the AI is noobish and the same at all difficulities (as far as i have seen)

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (15%)
Terrains were good, but nothing was "special", all normal war3 models, but i guess you used it to reduce map size, which is a sort-of-good

4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (4%)
I assure you you could Wedgitize the map or use Vexorian's map optimizer, that would really reduce loading time alot, and be useful at the same time.

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (6%)
Well, as i stated above, the map crashed 3/3 games, you should really check why it crashes, also, creeps sometimes turn back till they reach base then they move back again, you should fix that.

6 - How much the maker worked (4%)
The number of Heroes are limited ) and i didnt see 200++ items, all i saw is ~55

7 - The base idea of the map (7%)
The map idea is good, the way which teleports creeps from map corner to another is really good idea, but perhaps you should get more ideas, because if you take a-far-look at the map, you see its just-another-AoS-map

8 - Is map balanced? (8%)
Yeah map isnt fully balanced, espically the creeps, the creeps spells are really not balanced, you can see the proof if you-only-watch-the-game.
9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original.
10 - Text's Lanuage/Grammar (5%)
Havent seen any Language error.

Total Rating: 76% Excellent map, more work needed to be flawless

-Use the Wedgitizer (look at tools)
-Re-look at maps systems, as if you are a person that first time plays that map
-Maybe you should remove the Police/Thieves from the multiboard, and add a total team score
-The map name isnt really good with the map, you dont have to change the name, you can change the texts/tooltips in the map
-Add more features to the map, use Triggered spells/items
-Add a simple hint when a unit becomes near a shop/healing place, because it took me alot of time to know about those
-Add some more heroes to the map, because the ones availble are very boring, really they were (thats my opinion)
-Add some modes to the map, to make it more interesting for those who played it more than once
-Fix all of the bugs mentioned (espically creeps returning back, and map crashes)
-Work more on the AI and make it more-real-player-looking, and add a difficulity check system

Map Reviewed
And yeah, if anyone needs any help i can do it any time.

off-topic: @vicboy, sorry i cant/wont save replays.

Next review will begin soon

Last edited:
Level 9
Island Conquest
I played the map once, checked it twice with the World Editor
Results:
Map Rating:
Map is easy to learn, though hard-headed people never understand, but still its easy to understand, but the upgrades took some time to understand, but its good afterall.

I've seen many leaks, good thing that they werent looping, i think that the other buildings should be vulnerable (most of them), because i dont think shipyard controls the island, yeah this will need plenty of work, but its just an opinion. Simple made-for-fun systems.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (14%)
The way you added water to the Islands is very good way, but i havent seen any custom models/icons/pictures though i expected to see, but still an overall they were nice

4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (3%)
Yeah the map took like a year while loading, perhaps you should Wedgitize it.

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (8%)
Map had several leaks, and upgrades requirements are complex, it took me alot of time to understand what are the requirements

You worked well enough for this map, nothing else to say.

7 - The base idea of the map (10%)
Map idea is flawless, very exciting and fun, which will attract many users to continue playing it after first game

The location of island is sometimes not good, for being targeted from all ways around.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

10 - Text's Lanuage/Grammar (3%)
Many texts/tooltips errors seen )

Overall rating: 77% Excellent map, only a few work needed to be flawless

-To clear all the leaks
-To Wedgitize the map (seek Tools, Wedgitizer)
-Can add some modes..
-Re-look at building's/tech requirements, they are complex, like X require Y, Y Require Z, Z Require A, and so on ..
-Add some more ships when upgrading
-To make the map more realisitc (in any way that doesnt ruin it)

Yeah those werent good-ideas, because your map is already big amount of fun.

Map Reviewed.

off-topic: i'll check the other map as soon as possible

Level 9
Valley of Battle
I checked your map with the World Editor twice, and played it twice

Here are the results:

Its simple, all you have to do is to build building and buy units, though the gold mine location is a bit annoying

2 - The systems of the map (10%)
Map has dozens of leaks, and many many triggers (which can be much much compressed), the way creeps patrol is not good, the income system is well-calculated, creeps are balanced (for the 4 races i played), the map size is very huge, and all imported files were only 1: map's minimap, which has 3.4 mb size!.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (13%)
Terrain wasnt "terrained" greatly, the map is simple, no custom models/thigns, the worst thing is that the minimap picture is 3.4 mb which is like hell (you MUST optimize it).

4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (0%)
Yeah 0, once again, because that bloody minimap picture has 3.4 mb which has succeed boosting map size like hell.

Map had a very big number of leaks, i'll give you a link to know what/how to fix leaks.

You worked well on the map.

7 - The base idea of the map (8%)
The map idea is nice, but there are maps which have the same idea of buying creeps and they automatically move, but still the map has good idea

8 - Is map balanced? (9%)
Map is well-balanced, the health/damage are calculated in a good way but not perfectly.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

10 - Text's Lanuage/Grammar (2%)
Many grammar mistakes and text mistakes seen (re-look at the map)

Total Rating : 65% Good map, can be excellent if improved

-Fix all leaks, know about them by CLICKING HERE
-To optimize the number of triggers used (in GUI) by using If/Then/Else function
-To re-work the creeps movement, and perhaps reduce income delay?
-To optimize the minimap's picture size, by changing it to .jpg then once again to .tga
-Maybe enable buildings upgrade?
-Make gold mines location easy to see, or "ping" on its location in the begin of the game
-To re-work on maps terrain

Map Reviewed.

off-topic: @vicboy: dont worry, your map will be soon reviewed

Last edited:
Level 9
Galactic Conquest DE

I checked your map with the World Editor twice, and played it once

Results:

Map Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (7%)
Learning how to play the map wasnt easy/simple, it took me more than 7% just to know what should i do, try to make a simple-guide with texts in the begin, that is in parts.

I have seen dozens of leaks, but the multiboard/host detect systems were good. i think you should autmatically hide the multiboard in the begin, its scary with the "?" and its big size!

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (13%)
I didnt like map graphics, the terrain wasnt so good, models blocking each other, selecting units is manytimes hard, but the way they were drew itself is good.

Perfect!

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (5%)
Once again, i've seen dozens of leaks, discluding the camera bug (when you move it with the mouse ball).

You worked enough well on this map, but not perfectly.

I have seen many maps with the same idea, which were better.

The random leaky places where planets/stars are spawned may not be always good, like sometimes a player spawns near many planets, while another spawns near few number of planets.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

10 - Text's Lanuage/Grammar (3%)
Many text/grammar errors were seen.

Overall Rating : 71%

-To add small guide in the begin, which should include the press-esc for upgrades thing
-To automatically hide the Multiboard in the begin, because its scary!
-To fix ALL leaks, to know about them visit THIS PAGE
-The game gets boring very fast, perhaps you should increase income/units speed?
-Try to re-work on the models, they make selecting units very hard
-Add more planets models, what a galaxy that has all planets the same!
-Fix text/grammar errors, and try to use formal language
-Planets arent coloured while they are supposed to be coloured depending on options you choose! (by any means its hard to know if the X planet is yours or not)
-Try to reduce the number of upgrades, it takes very long time to upgrade them fully.
-To make the game finishes faster (only an opinion)

Map Reviewed.

will wait for more maps )

Level 8
About your review of Island Conquest:
First of all thanks for advice to seek that Wedgitizer tool. Loading time was shorted about 3 or 4 times. You earn +rep for this one. After I make Leak fixing and re-check all requirements. New ver will be upcoming.
I think I could make towers vulnerable So that they will leave ruins if destroyed like in Battle tanks.

About review of Valley of battle:
I should be really sorry. map was made when I didn't know anything about leaks. I should be able to fix them.
Good to hear that you think it's well balanced.
I bet creep movement leak too, right. By the way, do you know how they make in some maps that you don't have control over unit's actions even if it's still owned by you (I think this method was used in Castle Fight and BomberCommand)? Then I could include food limit.

Level 14
HUGE NOTE BEFORE YOU PLAY: I read that one of the categories was map balance. The goal of this game was to create an IMBALANCE but defeatable, for if it is was completely balanced, it would betray the real boss fight in WoW. If you have fought Archimonde in WoW, then you should know that he is an extremely difficult boss, and he can never be offically on "Farm" status. He is possible though, just requires practice. If a player leaves, another player will get control of their units. There is no computer AI, since raids are about human-interaction and getting over other peoples flaws. A computer would defeat that purpose.

This map is a map solely designed for the final boss of my Twilight of the Gods (Enhanced)
The size of the map is due to my urge to make it as realistic as possible. I can always add features to make it more realistic, but I am limited to the 4 MB hosting limit. So lets say that I figure out a way so that it was at 2.5 MB I would keep adding features that contributed to realism untill it was 3.99 MB. Now, I am currently trying to figure out a way to protect a map without it increasing my filesize. This is one of my first attempts in World Editor so triggers are basic.

All of his abilitys are listed on the download page for the map (for real raiders can check external sites before fight a WoW boss). For my own little tribute to the Warcraft lore, if you play the game again after you beat Archimonde, you can go back down the summit and see things that were recoreded in the lore. For example, you can see Kil'jaeden offering Illidan the power of his orb if he kills the Lich king, and you can attempt to fight them. Good luck!

After reading all of that, I grant you the Map Link: Battle against the Defiler - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

~Asomath

Level 9
Survive the Battle Royale

Your map was played once, checked twice with the world editor
Results:
Map Rating:
The heroes picking locations are messed up, creep locations (where they spawn) are not known, writing the command -spawn# and not -spawn # is hard for hard-headed people.

2 - The systems of the map (8%)
I havent seen something special, all abilitys are based from war3, same with items, that doesnt make the map anything close to "special", lalso many leaks seen.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (9%)
Terrains were just normal, nothing special, no custom models, no custom icons, nothing!

Well triggers can be optimized alot, but that wouldnt have a big effect on map size, so nevermind

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (7%)
Well i have found a plenty of leaks.

6 - How much the maker worked (3%)
Not much were worked-on for this map, all abilitys are war3 based, same models, icons and items.

You can call this map "Just-Another-Survivor-Map", which there are better than this one, and there are always worse, nothing unique on this one except the "race" to be the first.

8 - Is map balanced? (6%)
If a player alone in his team, he MUST lose so fast, items prices/affect werent calculated well, same with ability affects.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

No errors were seen

Sorry for looking as a user that hates the map, but i think i said facts.

Overall Rating: 61% Bad, but can be much better if improved

Map Reviewed.

-Rework map's terrains
-Remake spells, try to use custom ones (and triggered ones)
-Fix all leaks, visit THIS LINK to know how to fix them.
-To rework the select-hero area
-To enable heroe's information when selecting them (before choosing them)
-To make map more balanced, at least by reducing creeps if a player is alone
-Use custom items, and you can try to reduce them's price a bit.

off-topic: @JansiGX : i forgot the function, but i'll remember it again, please be patient.
@boomrawr : Do not feel upset for my review, every map maker started with making bad maps, and we dont learn but from our mistakes.

Thanks!

Battle against the Defiler
I played the map once (yeah and i won in 6 mins), checked it once with the world editor

Results:
Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (9%)
Its a bit confusing for newbies to know what to do, but it was easy

2 - The systems of the map (16%)
The systems were fast-made, and minor leaks were detected. not much systems, eh? )

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (16%)
The graphics themselves were good, but some took hell of a size, like archimonde's model (1 MB)!, as for terrains, they were good but not perfect, the cinematic was also good but not perfect.

4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (2%)
The sounds volume was very low, maybe you should fix that because they took most of the map size, and you can try to compress the Archimonde's model (im not good with models).

Some leaks spotted, not much things to check

Well, the map was done on a fast-hand or at least that is my opinion

7 - The base idea of the map (9%)
Very good idea, but map can be bored after played for the 3rd/4th time.

8 - Is map balanced? (10%)
Yeah map is FULLY balanced, after i calculated the number of units damage/health and archimonde, i found that if you use your heroes abilitys in a correct way, it be easy to win!,

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

No language/grammar errors were seen

Overall Rating: 83% Excellent map, only a few work needed to be flawless

But, the map's rating is 83% only the 1st/2nd time play, after that it will reduce as time passes.

Map Reviewed.

-Try to optimize the map files.
-Give a hint about where/what should players do in the begin.
-Add some abilitys to creeps, and nerf them a bit, incase you want the game harder

i dont have much ideas for this map, just for it being short and simple

i really enjoyed playing this map )

Map Reviewed.

off-topic: i will start reviewing other map(s) after 10 hours from the time of this post. (sleep)
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
A few questions though. First, what was the outcome of the win (did you have alot or few guys left). Did you optimize the Human-interaction aspect of the game (did you play by yourself or did you overcome the difficulties of interacting with other players?) I was suprised by you balance calculations. If some of the healing abilitys were eliminated (such as healing wave or tranquility) would it have been such an easy win? Im wondering if the sound volume had to do with your own sound-effects setting, for the sounds themselves are good quality, and that they are played at 100% volume. Yes I know it could be a little boring if repeated, for it is only a boss fight add-on to the Map "twilight of the Gods (Enhanced)" , soon it will also include loot drop and so on that you will be able to use in my BT map, but that is a future change. Thanks for Comments, very detailed and shows what a new map-maker like myself can work on.

~Asomath

Level 1
wow this is a really nice thing youre doing here, giving people critism on thier maps.

i would love to take advantage of your offer, so heres my map:

ill give a shot explanation of it.

its a td, you can chose from 3 difficulties, or make your own custom mode, you chose from 4 diffrent races (gona add more, the more i work on the map).

you get better towers by summoning bosses from your statue, you can also summon bosses to get extra gold or items for your towers.

and you sell all towers for 100% (incl upgrades, exxcept the ultimate tower, which you can only have 1 of)

ill say some of the biggests flaws that im aware of atm, all the hero spells are not leak cleaned yet (but its of no importance if you try it with 1-2 players it will be a big deal with 6 players, but by then i hope to have removed the leaks), its still only 2 players (gona be 6 when im done with it) and english is NOT my native language, so there will prolly be mistakes in the grammar all over the place :)

im really loking forward to your response.

Attachments

• Myth_and_Legend_Tower_Defence.w3x
    416.5 KB · Views: 39
Level 9
Hi, thanks for the review on my map Police Catch Thief AI. Here is my opinion, hope that I can correct some parts and earned some marks.

First of all, I calculated the total marks and it should be 76 instead of 72. Pls double check it.

but damn i didnt know where creeps spawn and where they go
Do you mean neutral creeps or creeps for Police n Thief base? Neutral creeps are spawned randomly inside the jungle. Creeps for Police side are spawned at the Command Center and will move towards enemy's Dark Portal. Creeps for Thief side are spawned at the Dark Portal and will move towards enemy's Command Center. So, do you mean that I should include these explanations in my Map Info (F9)?

The map systems were mostly good, though the custom spells are limited, the gold/lumber awarded system should be improved, because damn i didnt understand it in the begin
Can you explain in more details? what do you mean by custom spells limited? and how to improve the gold lumber awarded system?

the map crashed with fatal error 3 times
I also received few complaints from some players and I still not sure what is the problem because some players never faced these problems before. I am not sure whether is the patch problem or what ever. Are you guys using the same heroes each time? May I know how long did the game last before it crash? Do you have a replay?

the AI is noobish and the same at all difficulities
-Work more on the AI and make it more-real-player-looking, and add a difficulity check system
This one I do not agree because I spent time doing it. The AI in different difficulties earned different experience per kill, different amount of gold and lumber per 20 seconds, and the items they bought are different too. The AI I made for this version are aggressive, so they will keep fighting until their life remains abit. When their life reaches minimum value I set for them (This value is different in each AI difficulties), they will return to their base and heal + purchase items. So, I hope that you can re-check this and edit the post.

The number of Heroes are limited ) and i didnt see 200++ items, all i saw is ~55
For heroes, I focus on the quality instead of quantity. I worked so much on those triggered hero abilities. The Items are more than 200, you see, at casino, there are level 1-9 items. For each level, there are about 10 varieties and those items cannot be found in other shops too. So, at casino, there are about 90 items already. And there are about 9 shops besides the casino, some are hidden shops that can be unhide by commands. And these shops have about 7-11 items. There are 3 shops (8 items each) in the jungle too, which I mentioned at the Map Info (F9).

The map idea is good, the way which teleports creeps from map corner to another is really good idea, but perhaps you should get more ideas, because if you take a-far-look at the map, you see its just-another-AoS-map
-Add more features to the map, use Triggered spells/items
I made a lot of abilities for Heroes and Items using triggers which you cant find in any other AoS map like Item Corruptor, Item manipulator and lot of abilities that can steal resources. There are already a lot of commands available in this version too. Also the 2 bases are just beside each other and seperated by a gate which only open when you reached enemy base. Are these not idea? You still want me to add more?

because the ones availble are very boring, really they were
which one do you mean? stealing enemy resources are boring?

May i know how did you mark "The Size of the map" category? because my map size is 400 kb and i get 4 marks but galactic conquest is 600kb and get 5 marks instead.

Other than that, I agree with you. I will work more on the hints part. And ya, the new version will have a lot of modes. I also will look into the creeps movement. I hope you can re-edit some part of the post after you view my explanations here.

Last edited:
Level 2
First of all, I calculated the total marks and it should be 76 instead of 72. Pls double check it.
Yeah, xXCRIMINALXx, not only the marks for that map was calculated wrongly, "The Exiled City beta" should be 69% instead of 70%

Level 9
Sorry for the delay, but i lost over than 3 pages of text that i was going to write, i guess i have to write them again.
first i'll discuss about maps, later i will write the reviews

@Asomath:I played the map with a friend (who was near me), i think you didnt understand my idea if you want to make the map a bit harder, when i won, all 4 heroes remained alive, we got ~20 diffrent units, my idea was to reduce some unit's damage/hp, at the cost of giving them abilitys, just for some more fun and challenge.
About the sounds, you may like to knwo that i didnt know the exist (except the music) till i checked the map with world editor, the volume was to low, maybe that happened only for me, but nvm.

@zach_kirov:
Creeps for thief/police, i didnt know where is the spawn point in the begin, or where they would go. you should give a hint in the begin (for example minimap pings) of it's location, and where they go.

Spells: I remember i saw non-triggered spells, what i ment is that maybe you should make them triggered? thats just an idea to attract more users to the map.
Lumber/Gold system: Well, i think the text should be displayed only for owner of killing unit, because when tower/something kills a unit, i thaught i also get money, but i dont remember i did.

About crash: we used diffrent heroes, game lasted from 5-20 minutes, sorry i dont save replays.

About AI: man you have a wrong sentence:
This one I do not agree because I spent time doing it.
The best way AI should be is by acting more like a real player, not gain more exp/gold or when he goes back, you should also work on which units he should attack if X units near him or/and stuff.. get it?

For heroes: here's my idea, Alot of High-Quality-Heroes, have you played the map Age of Myths?.

For items: sorry i guess i didnt see them.

For idea: dude my review was only on 2 games, and as i said the idea is mainly very good, what i thaught needed is more Cool-Triggered-Spells, but thats my opinion.

Why heroes are boring: all of the heroes i tried damage were to low, the map is more focused in creeps instead of heroes, i think that explained it.

About size category: did you read the "(more compressed = better)"?, the space map uses alot of custom models, and custom icons, while i havent seen many of those in your map )

I will start other reviews soon
sorry for delay.

Level 9
Tribe Wars
damn testing this map took alot of time
I played your map twice, and checked it once with the world editor
Results;
Rating:
This map was a bit hard to learn, i didnt know anything about battles, neither what should i do. A simplified guide in the begin is always good.

2 - The systems of the map (18%)
The systems were very good, espically the way creeps perpare for battle, but the problem is that the game time is like infinity, killing the tribe (king?) is like mission impossible 7, nice spells though.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (17%)
The terrains were good, graphics and models also good, but they took alot of size, for example i saw a model that has size 500 kb itself, and that is ALOT.

Map triggers were compressed as far as i saw, but models and other stuff werent.

Some icons miss the DISBTN, some minor leaks spotted.

6 - How much the maker worked (5%)
I wonder how much time it took you to make such a map, espically the Object Editor!.

The idea of the map is very good. no suggestion to improve it.

8 - Is map balanced? (7%)
The places where you improve your hero after reaching lvl 30 are kinda unbalanced, some are far, some are close, and creeps near it sometimes strong sometimes week, and why the cleric has maximum damage increased ALOT?

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

No text/grammar errors seen

Overall Rating: 84% Excellent map, only a few more work needed to be flawless

-Use the Widgetizer to reduce map lag/loading time (incase you dont use)
-Maybe a guide to where upgrade items after lvl 3?
-Add more item classes (ring, helmet, shield)

I do not have much of suggestions for map being huge, and very good.

Map Reviewed

off-topic: @JansiGX: i did not forget your request, im still working on it.

EDIT: next review will start after a hour or two

Level 2
Hey, fairly new to map making. I am working on my first project, wondering if you would like to take a look at it for me. I am new to forums and I am not one to do anything publicly.

I looked through the forums and saw that you reviewed maps, so here is my map... This is just a demo of it, I have completed the 96x96 version but I have a few de-sinc errors(not very good at JASS) with the whole multiplayer questing.

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/download/60611/Lampart.w3x

Level 9
Myth and Legend Tower Defense

I played your map once, checked it twice with the world editor

Results:

Rating:
Just another Tower Defense map, build towers to prevent superior monsters from winning etc, but i think you should shortcut the heroe's abilitys tooltips, counting the time you have to build towers, choose race, and reading it you would be lost while reading.

2 - The systems of the map (13%)
I must say, i spotted alot of leaks in the map, though only some of them are fixed, i think you should make maximum players more than 2, by any means your map isnt fully completed, you should work on it. Good way of placing regions, and good towers spells, effects, The difficulity system was bad.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (15%)
Terraining wasnt so good, models are war3 based, graphics of spells and towers were very good.

You can compress the map alot by using The Optimizer tool, or the Widgetizer, loading time was very long.

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (7%)
Once again, i saw alot of leaks, i think you should fix them, no bugs seen.

You worked alot on the map.

7 - The base idea of the map (6%)
When i saw/PLAYED it, i just said "just-another-warcraft 3-TD-map" something made to be like Element TD (if you played), but with less quality.

Map is well balanced as i have tested (till i used the cheats you made), as normal tower defense maps, it goes harder and harder, but i think this one goes MUCH harder later (you should re-work on difficulity system, not by editing # of lives, but health of units)

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

No text/grammar errors seen

Overall Rating: 74% Good map, can be excellent if improved

-Use the Widgetizer tool, which reduces map loading time ALOT.
-Increase the number of players
-Re-work on terrains, they look bad
-To add more items
-Enable heroes to attack? (just an opinion, you can set it an option in game's begin)
-Give a simplified guide in the begin, no need for long texts.

I do not have suggestions for towers, for them being ALOT.

Map Reviewed

next review will be a bit delayed.

Minion Masters

I played your map twice, checked it twice with the world editor.
Results:
Rating:
With the tutorial in the begin, its easy, but sometimes host may be hard-headed, plus the text in the cinematic is very fast.

2 - The systems of the map (16%)
The systems were good, but i found some leaks (i know you fixed alot, but still i found ones), and seems you forgot to remove BJs while optimizing the map with the optimizer, because they were alot (im talking like this because your an expierenced map maker), and yeah there should be a notice before killing a creep that is higher than your level that you cant capture, good creep-call system.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (16%)
Terrains were very good, models are war3 based, icons were very nice, but it can be much better by using effects.

Good map compressing.

I spotted some leaks which should be cleaned.

The map was done on a fast-hand, by any means, it didnt took you long time to make it as i saw.

The idea itself is very good, but you should improve it, add more features/custom spells to the map (triggered ones), that way map will be very attractive.

I am not sure about heroes balance, neither creeps, but the map has good elemental-type attacks though.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original.

10 - Text's Lanuage/Grammar (4%)
Some text errors seen.

Overall Rating: 80% Excellent map, more work needed to be flawless.

-To remove BJs at least with the optimizer (there as an option for that)
-Add custom effects to spells and stuff, or even make triggered spells
-Maybe more items? ))
-Increase cinematic's text time, they were fast like hell, also fix the bug when the camera freezes looking at light scorpions (or whoever they are)
-Maybe add an ability for each creep? (thats just my opinion)
-Add more heroes, or/and make triggered abilitys for them.

Simple small map made for fun (as i saw)

Map Reviewed

next review will propably be delayed.

Lampart

I played your map once, checked it twice with the world editor.

Results:
Rating:
A simple map, all you have to do is to ask for quests and you get it, but i think there should be some hint to tell whats your job or what to do since i saw nothing on loading screen.

2 - The systems of the map (18%)
JASS-made systems, which are good, and doesnt lack of using BJs, but, i saw some leaks that are in the GUI triggers, you should fix them.

Terrains were very good, graphics were good, models are war3 based, no cinematics seen.

Well-compressed map

As i said, i spotted some GUI leaks.

Well the map was done only on a few hours (THIS ONE, not the bigger one).

7 - The base idea of the map (8%)
Good idea, but can be more realisitc (only if thats what you seek), but the map size is to small, but it includes alot of stuff.

8 - Is map balanced? (9%)
Map is well balanced.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

Some text errors were seen

Note that the map is to small, if the bigger one will be filled like this one, it would be great.

Overall Rating: 84% Excellent map, only a lil bit of work needed to be flawless!

-Increase map size
-Add an ability-choose system, or classes
-Fix the minor GUI leaks

I do not have much suggestions to this map, for it being so small.

Map Reviewed

off-topic: i guess the review wasnt delayed ))

till next guy want his map to be reviewed

@Perry: i'd suppose you're a person that well-reads tutorials. very good begin.

Last edited:
Level 2
I don't have the editor at the moment, Ubuntu had some problems with the latest patch. I am downgrading soon so I'll give you a try at the 96x96... Yeah, there isn't a class choosing system yet, just because I haven't thought up enough classes.

Level 1
thank you for your response, you are right about the leaks, so far i only removed the "unit create" leaks, i know theres alot more left, specially in the hero skills.

as you can pretty clearly see on the map its gona be 6 players later on (6 players terrains, pretty obvious^^)

why was the difficultie modes bad? explain why so i can improve them ^^

i will optimize it and protect it when im farther done (no need atm as it is only 2 player, noone would bother fucking with it^^)

thank you again for the nice feedback

btw the cheats where only added to test stuff instead of w8ting for the duration of the game, like if i wanted to test a certain boss, i would have to w8 like 30 min evry time i want to balance him

Level 9
CnC Renegade
I played your map once, checked it twice with the world editor

Results:
Rating:
1 - How easy to learn it (9%)
Map can be easily learned, a little hints wont hurt. (hints of what to do, where you buy X)

First, i've seen many many leaks, triggers werent optimized at all, sounds size were very very big, they must be optimized.

3 - The introduction to the map, graphics, models, cinematics, and terrains (17%)
Terrains were good, no cinematics seen, models were very good, graphics were plenty of good.

4 - The size of the map (more compressed = better) (1%)
Map is very unoptimized, by any means, you must optimize it, like compressing sounds, optimizing triggers, and such stuff.

Many leaks were spotted, some bugs seen, like when you get out of the "vehicle", it can attack one more time even if you are not in it.

Well im sure it doesnt take alot of time to make such a map, but it can be fun though.

The idea of the map is very good.

I am unsure about balancing, because as i remember, a side had planes, and the other had vehicles, i am not sure about that anyway, also the defending towers way of attacking is unbalanced, like you of 4 teammates may take 400 damage, and they dont get any damage.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original.

No errors seen.

Overall Rating: 77% Excellent map, alot of work needed to be Flawless.

The map can be much improved if you really work on it.

-To clean all of the leaks
-To reduce the amount of triggers, at least by using conditions.
-To fix the bug which after you leave the vehicle, it keep attacking for ~1 second
-Maybe add modes?
-Add commands, like -suicide, or such stuff.
-To reduce sound files size, by reducing quality or/and removing useless parts.

I do not have much suggestions for this map, for it being small and simple.

Map Reviewed.

Level 1
oh lol... you havent even read the difficulties then... (indepth ?)

easy mode gives +5% move speed and magic reduction and +1 armor, normal mode is +10% move and magic reduc and 3 armor, hard is +15% move and magic reduc and +5 armor. (and then trheres the less life on harder diff) so lots of diffrences.

so... i guess youre not right about this, still, thx for the help, and im gona start to remove the leaks, and add more players :)

Level 7
I am unsure about balancing, because as i remember, a side had planes, and the other had vehicles, i am not sure about that anyway, also the defending towers way of attacking is unbalanced, like you of 4 teammates may take 400 damage, and they dont get any damage.
Actually none of the sides have planes:p Both sides have vehicles and one helicopter unit.

Level 9
Sorry for the delay with this review.
Gem Mine (Crystal Cave)

I played your map once, and checked it twice with the world editor
Results:
Rating:
For new people its hard for them to understand the map, i think you should short-cut the text in loading screen, and revise them.

2 - The systems of the map (13%)
I must say, the systems werent so good, they were leaky, had plenty of useless triggers, they lacked of quality, dont worry, that always happen to beginners.

Terrains were good, Graphics are ok, models are war3 based, introduction wasnt really good, for no short-story availble to the map.

The map size is good, but triggers can be much compressed to reduce lag.

5 - The amount of bugs/leaks in the map (5%)
Dozens of leaks were spotted, some bugs seen, like using transmute without having any gem wastes mana, you should re-vise triggers.

You worked alot on the map, and you can work more!.

7 - The base idea of the map (6%)
I didnt really like the idea, like only pick gems and sell then keep doing that again and again to get money to stop enemys.. it would be boring.

Units are balanced, for them being the same, but items calculating arent, same with abilitys, re-check them.

9 - Map Originality (5%)
Map is original

Some/Little errors seen.

Overall Rating: 72% Good map, can be excellent if improved.

-To clean all of the bullshit leaks, CLICK HERE to know about them
-Try to add some modes, and options, so users may play the map more than one time
-To add triggered items
-To optimize the text that is in the loading screen (to remove useless texts)
-To give a simple-text guide in the begin by hints

I do not have much tips for the map.

Map Reviewed.

off-topic: @pitakebab: sorry i guess i didnt notice that
@vicboy: your tutorial might be at the Graveyard forum, if its fully deleted and doesnt exist try to contact a moderator there.

Level 2
Thanks a bundle. But just some comments:

For new people its hard for them to understand the map, i think you should short-cut the text in loading screen, and revise them.

I thought it was rather straight forward. How do you suppose I improve it?

I must say, the systems werent so good, they were leaky, had plenty of useless triggers, they lacked of quality, dont worry, that always happen to beginners.

I've noted the leaks, and they should be fixed when I get around to it. (Now that I know what they are. >.<) But which triggers are useless?

Dozens of leaks were spotted, some bugs seen, like using transmute without having any gem wastes mana, you should re-vise triggers.

I'd be great if you could, you know, tell me what the bugs are? Flailing your arms and going "OMG. Bugs!" isn't going to get them fixed. And as for the Transmute bug, flavourwise you'd still expend the mana and cast the spell, but because there's no 'Gems' for it to affect, it does nothing. Like casting Cluster Rockets on an empty patch of ground.

I didnt really like the idea, like only pick gems and sell then keep doing that again and again to get money to stop enemys.. it would be boring.

Hopefully, that'll be fixed once it's finished, you know, game modes, a bundle of items, abilities, so forth. I was hoping to go for something a little fast paced and mini-game-ish. =/

-To clean all of the bullshit leaks, CLICK HERE to know about them
-Try to add some modes, and options, so users may play the map more than one time
-To add triggered items
-To optimize the text that is in the loading screen (to remove useless texts)
-To give a simple-text guide in the begin by hints

Most items are triggered already. Except for the first row and the tomes. "Lucky Coin" is a failed triggered item I was working on, but that should be fixed soon. Maybe. Hopefully.

Thanks anywhoos. :thumbs_up:

Level 9
Lumber/Gold system: Well, i think the text should be displayed only for owner of killing unit, because when tower/something kills a unit, i thaught i also get money, but i dont remember i did.
Actually, the text are displayed for everyone to know that who killed who. You can see that the text are actually displayed on top of the killing unit instead of dying unit. I made it this way so that it is different from other maps.

Why heroes are boring: all of the heroes i tried damage were to low, the map is more focused in creeps instead of heroes, i think that explained it.
No, You didn't test it well. I didn't make all abilities like that. Some of them are good in handling creeps, some are good in attacking heroes, some are good in defending. For Thieves side, most heroes have skills to steal resources from enemy, I made it like that so that it matches the theme.

About size category: did you read the "(more compressed = better)"?, the space map uses alot of custom models, and custom icons, while i havent seen many of those in your map )
You cannot just compare the imported things because the map size actually come from many aspects. for that space map, there is no custom triggered abilities, the triggers are few, units are few. No items and heroes too. Those big size actually come from pictures. By reducing the picture size/dimension, it will decrease the map size a lot. But for my map, the size actually come from triggers. Most of the abilities I used triggers to do it. Including many of the items abilities too. And as I said, there are about 200 items and 26 heroes in my map, but there is no heroes and items in the space map. There are a lot of neutral creeps in my map too and I had edited their attributes as well. Therefore, my map size is definitely bigger. I had used optimizer for my map, if you still want to see smaller file size, the only way is to decrease abilities, hero and item quantity. However, you still said that the triggered spells are not enough and suggested me to add more. So, I think you should give me 5 marks in this part.

Level 9
Reviews will begin soon

@CrustaceanCrusader:
About short-cutted tip: you maybe should write the map idea (to pick gems and sell them as fast as possible or something like that, but simplified, organized, and optimized)

What i ment with "useless triggers" is that you can optimize 10 of your triggers in the map into 1. (you'll learn that with time)

Bugs: the transmute thing is still a bug, have you tried to mistakely cast it?
I havent seen much bugs in the map, but much leaks.

@zach_kirov:
Lumber/Gold system: What i said was my opinion, if you liked it you can do it.

Heroes: The damage is very, very low, in my opinion, it should be with abilitys (which are availble) and hero damage.

Compressing: Actually scripts can be optimized ALOT, unlike icons/models, the only way to optimize icons/models is by reducing quality, while there are many many ways to optimize the script (which took 599 KB in your map?!?!), as for units, they dont take much of size, neither scripts, they are just some lines of data, and know that "triggered" abilitys doesnt increase size, to know how much a trigger size in your map, simply convert it to JASS, divide the number of words by 10, and you got the size in KB.
the only way is to decrease abilities, hero and item quantity.
Hell of a mistake!

Level 9
Compressing: Actually scripts can be optimized ALOT, unlike icons/models, the only way to optimize icons/models is by reducing quality, while there are many many ways to optimize the script (which took 599 KB in your map?!?!), as for units, they dont take much of size, neither scripts, they are just some lines of data, and know that "triggered" abilitys doesnt increase size, to know how much a trigger size in your map, simply convert it to JASS, divide the number of words by 10, and you got the size in KB.
599 is not the trigger size, dont forget I included the loading screen and mini map which are about 200++kb. If you said that script are not the main factor, can you give me an example of an AoS map with 26 heroes, 200++ items and few commands / modes and Size less than 400KB? Even DotA (A map without much models and skins) has the size of 3MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.