• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lich King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Maybe adding more Ice flares (Whatever it is) the blue thingy on his eyes? so that it will be visible.

Level 4
When your model is finish, you could try to make some cool animations,
like a jump-attack or an animation that makes him point at the target with Frostmourn, would be cool for a cinematic.
Just ideas. Really nice model though, just as good as WoW-models, maybe even better ^^ .

Level 30
Really nice model though, just as good as WoW-models, maybe even better ^^ .

I was thinking exactly the same thing :) It looks like something I'd expect to see in WoW xD

Only thing I might suggest is making his face a tad darker. Its under a helmet so you would expect it to be in the shadows :D

Another suggestion might be to add an "ice blue" glow to his eyes as seen in WoW :) Although, that's up to you really :p

Either way, its still the best model ever made for warcraft 3 :)

All of that was already planned. Milkshape just can't handle effects.

Here's an update. I believe that I'm done with this animation.

10z7a76.gif

Level 11
Don't get me wrong, but it hurts to see such simple to fix issue on this great model:
1.The left lower arm moving through the shoulderplate

Solution: Simple add another set of bones for the shoulderpads as child of the chest. By that way you can move the shoulderpads independent from the arms and create more realisitc movement.

2. the lower left arm is moving to much and not realistic, his hand is loosing contact of the sword.

Solution: Add som extra keyframes to the lower arm to sync it with the sword movement.

3. The lower right leg has a jump in its bow animation.

Solution: Check and fix that, it can be done, by reseeting some keyframes.

4. Both lower legs are moving on ground while the legs bow.

Solution: Add extra keyframes to compensate the bow of the upper leg and pelvis and let the feet stay in place.

Like I said, don't get me wrong. The model is great, but the animation issues lower the quality. Understand this a contructive critic. I know animating is a pain in the ass, but trust me its worth the work.

Don't get me wrong, but it hurts to see such simple to fix issue on this great model:
1.The left lower arm moving through the shoulderplate

Solution: Simple add another set of bones for the shoulderpads as child of the chest. By that way you can move the shoulderpads independent from the arms and create more realisitc movement.

It's already done. There's not much I can do to fix it. The mesh is just like that. And if I rotate the shoulderpads, they'll look detached, but I'll see what I can do.

2. the lower left arm is moving to much and not realistic, his hand is loosing contact of the sword.

Solution: Add som extra keyframes to the lower arm to sync it with the sword movement.

Will do.

3. The lower right leg has a jump in its bow animation.

Solution: Check and fix that, it can be done, by reseeting some keyframes.

Can you explain how does the leg jump? I really can't see where the problem is?

4. Both lower legs are moving on ground while the legs bow.

Solution: Add extra keyframes to compensate the bow of the upper leg and pelvis and let the feet stay in place..

I usually use screenshots of previous positions as backgrounds to keep some of the parts in place, but this animation was made by eye, so I couldn't really be accurate. Will fix.

Like I said, don't get me wrong. The model is great, but the animation issues lower the quality. Understand this a contructive critic. I know animating is a pain in the ass, but trust me its worth the work.

It really is worth it - I just don't have enough time per day and I really ass myself to do some of the animation work, and even I have this huge desire to see this model in the models section as soon as possible. Thanks for taking your time to hunt down the flaws!

Level 11
Ok, jump was the wrong word. It rotates in the z axis by around 5-10 degrees. that won't happen if a human bows his leg. At least it doesn't happen when i bow my leg that way :) I allways try to get a natural model to imagine how an animation should and could look. That helps a lot. It reduces the work for fluid walkanimations a lot.

I'm getting sick of this. I had to re-do the animation completely. Ignore some minor clipping, as it can't be fixed without either re-rigging and effectively nulling all the work currently done or losing form of the body.

Ignore the small jump - it's just Milkshape being retarded.

2hcgisg.gif

[Edit] So, I planned out my workflow - I'll do the vital animations first, like attack and death, and then as time passes, I'll add flavor animations, like alternate stand animations, attack slam and run animation.

Some updates:

Spell
2u6d89y.gif

Attack
s1nsbl.gif

The clip through the leg couldn't be fixed at all, unfortunately - the model is too bulky and I don't have the time to re-do it. Besides, it won't be seen in game.

EDIT: For some reason, the .gifs play slowly - they're supposed to go 60fps, but they are going 24fps instead. I'll see what I can do to fix them. Also, you might see some holes in the model - those are the places that are going to be patched up once I finish animating.

EDIT 2: To see the .gifs full speed, save them to your HD and run them from your PC.

Last edited:
wouldnt the clipping be fixed ingame if you tap the TwoSided when applying the material on Model editor?

Nope.

Woah the spell animation is awesome :)
For the attack animation however, couldn't he stretch his arms a bit more? Right now it looks like he isn't getting any power from swinging it, IMO.

I'll see what I can do.

is it me or is that sword a plane?

and the spell animation, shouldn't the whole move happen all at once? srry to say but i think it could use some work, but then again, i am a nub

What are you talking about?

it looks like it got some kind of mesh around it.

It's the Frostmourne from the campaign menu.

He's simply changing his grip on the sword from forwards to backwards and forwards again.

yeah, but the transition is from one frame to the other making it too obvious!

couldnt you for fixing the shoulder's front cape just slice the face once vertically and move the new vertic a bit out to make it a bit bulkier?

also the attack anim does not look powerfull enough..
i dont have a clue how to fix it but if you really want to i can describe what i mean more...

but really cool! whats the final polycount? i'm sry, i read through the whole thread and i think you only stated it would be around 1500 but youd fix it up a bit!

hmmm it looks like you're just trying to animate it hastily now. the attack animation doesnt look very powerful, the lich kind should strike with force. and the spell anim just looks awkward.

The spell animation is exactly the same one from WoW, so...
n2ok2c.gif

yeah, but the transition is from one frame to the other making it too obvious!

couldnt you for fixing the shoulder's front cape just slice the face once vertically and move the new vertic a bit out to make it a bit bulkier?

also the attack anim does not look powerfull enough..
i dont have a clue how to fix it but if you really want to i can describe what i mean more...

but really cool! whats the final polycount? i'm sry, i read through the whole thread and i think you only stated it would be around 1500 but youd fix it up a bit!

I'll see what I can do about the cape. Please tell me more. It's about 1800 polies - campaign menu's Frostmourne really nudged it, about 500 polies or so.

like... he steps out his right leg and a 2 seconds later his arm comes down to meet the leg.

It doesn't come down. o_O

While attacking his arms move through his upper right leg :(

*sigh*
The clip through the leg couldn't be fixed at all, unfortunately - the model is too bulky and I don't have the time to re-do it. Besides, it won't be seen in game.

Level 11
Everything can be fixed. And it will be visible ingame. Just let him attack from top to bottom or kind of pierching attack or only with left hand (skilled fighters can use twohanded weapons with one hand).

And sorry, but I'm a perfectionist^^

well, one of the above posters already now explained what i meant with
"he looses passion" and "its stiff"

i see you fixed the cape clipping, nice!

also you should check where those gaps come from...
how are you animating?
with a skin modifier? or with detaching parts and adding bones, then using welded meshes option in the user property editor or how it was called...

Status
Not open for further replies.