• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Let's make a map! (Forum Game) (Stratholme Escape!)

In this forum game one person makes a map, then you take that map and edit it, then another person takes that map and edits it further!

Jump to page 28 to find the current project; mini-game compliation: Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

THE THEME IS : Minigames!

Rules: Follow the General theme.
State that you are going to edit the map and then wait for a reply to answer.

Current Issues:

Last edited:
Level 8
Made a very simple defense map in 15 minutes. You only have some marines and a hero and you have to defend yourself against waves of fel orcs. I also added a quest called ''Who Did What''. Write everything you added, removed or edited there so that your legacy will be fulfilled. I want to ask a question, can we edit the map only once? (For example, if Ralle came here and edited my map, and after that, 5 other hivers edited it, can Ralle edit it again?)

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    21.5 KB · Views: 112
Level 4
Made a very simple defense map in 15 minutes. You only have some marines and a hero and you have to defend yourself against waves of fel orcs. I also added a quest called ''Who Did What''. Write everything you added, removed or edited there so that your legacy will be fulfilled. I want to ask a question, can we edit the map only once? (For example, if Ralle came here and edited my map, and after that, 5 other hivers edited it, can Ralle edit it again?)

Awesome! I'll test the map! And yes, a person can edit the map again, however should allow another person to have a go.
Also I'll implement that people will ask before editing, this way we will avoid chaos.
Awesome Map!

Level 4
It is quite an interesting idea but how you decide the winner ?
What? I never said this was a contest. I never had an idea of "A winner"
I merely had this idea as a past time, just to have fun. Plus people will work together to make a wonderful map (or miraculously, a crap one).
This idea was inspired by YTP (Youtube Poop) Tennis, and a similar idea.
I do hope you can join in on this though.
Have a great day :D

Level 12
What about the type of the map ? Can you change the type ? I see that the current map is a survival type so for exemple someone can change it to be a RPG or an altered melee ?

Level 4
You can't remove people's stuff, that would be an assholic thing to do.

Anyhow, can you state BEFORE you start editing, so two people don't work at it the same time.

I stated in the reply that we should now state. Also I think to solve this issue, we should follow a general theme for the map. Then we will change to another map eventually. Currently the theme is survival!
Also I will edit the main post to include these.
Thanks!

Level 3
Good and fun idea, but i think it is a little to simple. Create something more advanced for a basic map, present it in a right way, add a list of rules and start a big thread. Many people working on one map is a powerful resource, but rather than creating a pointless defense map you could try to set up something to make the game of your dreams!

Level 8
Good and fun idea, but i think it is a little to simple. Create something more advanced for a basic map, present it in a right way, add a list of rules and start a big thread. Many people working on one map is a powerful resource, but rather than creating a pointless defense map you could try to set up something to make the game of your dreams!

Dude, that is the point. Everybody will add one tiny or big piece to the castle so that it can be a magnificent wonder. (Or a total waste of time, but it is interesting to see so many ideas combined into one.)

Level 4
Dude, that is the point. Everybody will add one tiny or big piece to the castle so that it can be a magnificent wonder. (Or a total waste of time, but it is interesting to see so many ideas combined into one.)

Not just the castle. Anyone can add a simple mechanic to the map and make it more complex. Maybe destroy a fel orc stronghold to win?

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Wow ! This is so great. I would love 2 try this but Im so busy....

Its a great idea... This way a simple map can get better and better.

Interesting concept. I'll bite. If no one's working on it at the moment, I'll add some stuff to it.

I do have one question thought: are we allowed to change stuff that was added? And if yes to what extent?
Also can I use JNGP?

EDIT: Well nevermind me, I already added stuff to it. Sorry for not waiting for a reply but I had some free time and no one was answering, so I figured I'd do it anyway. Sunday evening and all, doubt anyone's watching.

Might I suggesting updating the main post with the 'what was added' info in the map's quest log so one doesn't have to go digging in it to find that?

I took the liberty of creating an Orbit system as well as importing Bribe's Unit Indexer and looking_for_help's Physical Damage Detection system. I haven't used the latter for anything, but it's always good to have a dds in your map.

Oh and the model credits: (this should also be added to the OP)

Armored Battlesuit model by Fingolfin (Marauder)
Missile Drone model by Fingolfin (Sentinel)
Healing Drone model by Ket (Worker Bot)
Rocket model by WILLTHEALMIGHTY (Rocket)
Alien Force-Spire by chilla_killa (Alien Tower)

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    918.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Level 4
Interesting concept. I'll bite. If no one's working on it at the moment, I'll add some stuff to it.

I do have one question thought: are we allowed to change stuff that was added? And if yes to what extent?
Also can I use JNGP?

EDIT: Well nevermind me, I already added stuff to it. Sorry for not waiting for a reply but I had some free time and no one was answering, so I figured I'd do it anyway. Sunday evening and all, doubt anyone's watching.

Might I suggesting updating the main post with the 'what was added' info in the map's quest log so one doesn't have to go digging in it to find that?

I took the liberty of creating an Orbit system as well as importing Bribe's Unit Indexer and looking_for_help's Physical Damage Detection system. I haven't used the latter for anything, but it's always good to have a dds in your map.

Oh and the model credits: (this should also be added to the OP)

Armored Battlesuit model by Fingolfin (Marauder)
Missile Drone model by Fingolfin (Sentinel)
Healing Drone model by Ket (Worker Bot)
Rocket model by WILLTHEALMIGHTY (Rocket)
Alien Force-Spire by chilla_killa (Alien Tower)
Sorry bout not replying. Sure, change things. Just don't be a jerk when changing things. Be respectful about it. Also what is jngp?
I'll add a main what was done post later.
Have a good day!

JNGP is an advanced editor that allows you to use vJASS scripts, and has a lot of neat stuff like a syntax checker. Faulty code won't outright disable your trigger like normal world edit does, which is really annoying. If you do decide to use JNGP, update the JASSHelper through the link provided on the tool's page.

Some vJASS libraries offer functionalities that would be otherwise difficult (or maybe even impossible) to code and use with normal JASS.

I'm not a coder myself, but I can find my way around some libraries that I've used in the past.

Last edited:

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Now I'm free (for 23 mins) so I am about to take part.
It's fun ! Wait for my entry... :as:

Level 4
The concept itself is great and I like it but what about if someone updates the map and screws it up utterly? I'll take a look at the lastest version of this map and see if I can add my touch to it.

If someone screws the map up to an unacceptable standard, use the previous version. Sure have a go at making the next update.

JNGP is an advanced editor that allows you to use vJASS scripts, and has a lot of neat stuff like a syntax checker. Faulty code won't outright disable your trigger like normal world edit does, which is really annoying. If you do decide to use JNGP, update the JASSHelper through the link provided on the tool's page.

Some vJASS libraries offer functionalities that would be otherwise difficult (or maybe even impossible) to code and use with normal JASS.

I'm not a coder myself, but I can find my way around some libraries that I've used in the past.

The only problem I have with jass is the fact you have to get modified editors to save the map. I suppose it's ok, dunno. I'll have to think it through. Saving Jass in normal world editor doesn't usually work for me and I don't like booting up a modified editor most of the time due to pure laziness.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can save normal JASS in the default editor - it's vJASS that requires a modded editor. However, I would like to point out that JNGP is rather stable and I've never had any crashes with it. Additionally it keeps a bunch of backups so even if your map does get corrupted, you can fall back to older versions.

But, yeah, not mandatory. Some pretty neat systems that are not vJASS do exist so we can stick to those instead.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

@ lorddz, my maps at progress and its taking loooong time...

Level 4
So any updates? Not sure if you just don't have a lot of free time or not, but you should avoid making too large updates that take several days. Give others the opportunity to work on it, imo.

Btw, can previous contributers come back to the map? I wouldn't mind another pass at it down the line.

As I stated earlier. Yes, you can edit the map again.

I think whoever next is gonna edit the map should (preferably) say in advanced that they want to so they can begin work immediately after the last person updated it. I'd love to give it another go once Shadow Fury is done, but given that I already edited the map before, anyone who wants to go next is welcome. In the event that no one wants to, I'll add in my second contribution. Deal?

Lemme know if y'all ok with this.

Don't remove the starting base.. Keep it as a place to start at and then you have to proceed on foot to a new base.

Map around the problem, don't just remove it because it's easier that way :)

I like the way you think. We should probably add that to the OP as a recommended way to go about adding content.

Status
Not open for further replies.