Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by xXAgeofComedyXx, Aug 13, 2015.

1. QuillQuickcard

QuillQuickcard

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the work, Code Monkey! I'd never even seen those bugs before. Great catch!

As for another project:

There was that one Starcraft 1 scenario where 2 players would control opposite sides of a base and try to defend a temple in the middle of the map.

What about something like that? A base defense?

Then you could just have it set so that different areas of the base are under different player's control if there is more than 1 human player?

2. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My idea:

I remember I read about a new FPS game. One player of each team take control of their base, while all others of the team fights.

Now, how about an AoS/MOBA map with something like this? A player chooses a "commander" type hero and take control of the base and production (he can upgrade stuffs, rebuild something on originial spots and should also defend their base as well), while all others go for combat? The combatant heroes should be better at offense, while the commander heroes should be great at both (but great defense boost should be restricted to the base area, once he leaves, he'll be like a slightly stronger combatant)

3. xXAgeofComedyXx

xXAgeofComedyXx

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm back bois! What's been going on!

4. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not much? Appears that a few people are touching up the old project, but we were discussing what to do for a new thing. Been silent for a while now though.

5. xXAgeofComedyXx

xXAgeofComedyXx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here's an idea. A. We can move onto starcraft if we want.
    B. Map Idea:
    A Moba, very similar to DOTA, however! One person controls all the creeps. (one per team).
    DOTA with commanders pretty much.

6. Knight of Arsford

Knight of Arsford

Resources:
    Resources:
    So, who's uploading the Jack's Adventures now? Is it finished?

7. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Seems there's no interest in a new project? Or no one liked my idea? :p

How about a kodo-tag styled map?

Orrrrrrr a RvS styled map?

Modified run kitty run map?

Escape Weed World version 2?

Another RPG?

A campaign? (each player could make a level)

An escape?

A hero escape?

@Knight of Arsford - it's never truly finished; feel free to take it and do some stuff!

8. Knight of Arsford

Knight of Arsford

Resources:
    Resources:
    What about a LOAP style map? Hahahaha

9. QuillQuickcard

QuillQuickcard

Resources:
    Resources:
    The Quill is back and ready to go.

I do like your idea pick-a-chew, but it would involve a substantial undersystem that editors may not be able to tamper with. It sounds like a lot of fun... actually it sounds fun enough that I'm probably going to make my own version of that just to improve my skills a bit.

I really think we need something simple. What if we just tried to make a multiplayer melee-type map, but filled it with interactive elements and features? Then pretty much anybody can add something neat, and it's simple enough to let just about anybody contribute.

We can just plot some starting locations on different corners of the map... and start building crap around them. Moving platforms, teleporters, traps, exploding bridges, weather machines that trigger deadly lightning storms... ufo abductions, zergling rushes... I mean, the more serious and integrated we try to make something, the less people will be able or interested in adding to it. If we just let people add a bunch of disconnected, random, interactive features, then I think we can involve a large community in the project, and end up with a map utterly unlike any ever seen before.

That being said, it is my own bias as a moderate level editor that leads me to wanting something on the simpler side. Whatever project we decide on, I'll happily contribute.

10. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's fair enough, i probably got carried away :p

The melee-type map sounds like a lot of fun, but probably a bit mental? I could see things getting out of hand quite quickly! It'd have to follow some sort of structure...
    Such type of map would probably be better suited for a campaign-style map, though i'd prefer to make something multiplayer

Not familiar with LOAP, i know it's an RP map of sorts, why would it be suitable? Would it basically involve just making a city and creating a load of content in it? Houses, quests, jobs etc.?

Something simple... :con: that has heroes in it... and can be tested with other hivelings... *shrugs*, i'm at a loss!

edit: what about a hero escape? would be similar to jack's adventures in that everyone can make a escape level/puzzle/whatever... could be multiplayer, would be easy to add your own thing to, would use heroes to slay monsters in the way...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  11. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think it would be appropriate to move discussion about a new forum-game map into a new thread.

I posted here because I contributed to the thread's map. I'll unsubscribe if necessary.

12. Knight of Arsford

Knight of Arsford

Resources:
    Resources:
    @pick-a-chew About the LOAP idea, I was thinking of a Single/Multiplayer RPG with a branching storyline that we can all contribute to. It has some LOAP elements such as buying houses, finding jobs.

Let's say, half of the game is about the heroes fighting monsters and completing quests...

while the other half of it is about the heroes just relaxing in a safe haven while doing some minor tasks, and just taking a break from all those fights.

Idk about it, but I'll happily work on an idea that everyone agrees on.

13. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sounds like putting those two halves might require a bit of effort and planning...

I think some sort of map that doesn't last long game-wise is a good idea, and something that has high replayability (random elements)... like a good old simple TD or some kind of RPG-hero-escape map (similar to Jack's)

i may just mush something together, post it here, and see if anyone interested in contributing :bored:

14. apsyll

apsyll

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So is something in work or can i throw my idea also in the hat?
    when yes! A longe time ago I build some fun little games that was conected just that they are all the smallest mapsize and all have 12 players. Maby this could be fun. Utherparty-esk minigames that has many players on the smallest area.
    I created an aos that was really cool because the mainbuilding was a barrel and every time you die you gut a level up, so you need to think if you kill your enemy you got the time he is out of the game but when he comes back, he is much stronger and can kill you easyer.
    -Hide and seek where everything was black and you can place lightspots on the floor to see the enemy and catch them.
    -A TD could be done too where some people play the creeps and some build the towers.
    That can also go with the LOAP idea.

15. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Could go for an Uther Party clone, would be quite simple to trigger/create (as in, people add their own games). Would either need to be different/unique in some way. Could hybrid Pyramid Escape (PvE mini-games) and Uther Party (PvP/FFA mini-games) in some way... something like Team vs Team/5v5 mini-games. I think there's probably always an audience for Pyramid Escape because it's a teamwork game, and as such i still see it played quite frequently. Uther party less so. As for themes instead of Pyramid or Uther (well, Uther party is generally just a Wc3 theme), could go for something like Dalaran&Stratholme(city-themed)/Hyjal(forest) escape, or any other areas that suit an escape. Could always opt for the sports/olympics route too.

Barrel AoS sounds quirky, tho i think in the end, if you just tunnel vision the barrel and die lots of times, you'll get uber leveled whilst your opponent stays quite weak :p

Hide and Seek sounds fine

A TD like that is prone to problems where people hoard their creeps and then send them all at once!

16. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @pick-a-chew Dude, an Uther Party / Pain's Party / Pyramid Escape type seems like a perfect choice. Subscribed to this thread just for that idea!

17. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So it sounds like we have something agreeable to work on! I'm going to start drafting some sort of prototype which will hopefully give us something to think about and work upon if we like it. Check back soon!

I present to you the fruit of an hour and a bits worth of work...

Went for the Stratholme theme, maybe you'll buy the story/theme :p, can be adjusted if necessary; i have made most of the backbone of the trigger work which should allow easy transition from game to game, assuming editors can wrap their heads around what i've done. All in GUI of course.

The first mini-game is nothing special, i created it in about ~45 minutes just to demonstrate the theme and set out the structure of the map. Everything on that map is very rough. Providing people are interested, feel free to edit it or raise points!

Note: didn't bother with leaks; i'll chop those out if we decide we can move on with this :p

Edit: Move into the circle of power to trigger game 1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  18. apsyll

apsyll

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sweet, didn't thought that the idea will get that much welcoming but nice that!;)
    I will soon add the aos like game to the map but i have no time now, so if someone want to add something, go for it. I will make it clear when i work on the map.
    untill then: "keep calm and make cool maps" ;)

19. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well... we have been trying to start a new one but have had minimal input in regards to ideas, so probably best at this point in time to start something and see how it goes!

Edit: Updated map. Removed most leaks on first map and changed the way units worked. Pick area is now more obvious. Will do some more adding to my first game at some point... to tired today from work (need to sleep!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  20. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    goldmine for newbs in programming! :D keep it up ladies and gents!