• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Quill Quickcard will take up this charge.
I'll add some whimsy and fun... and whatever else I can think of. I'll have my changes updated by Sunday afternoon at the very latest!

I'm excited to see this map. I haven't looked yet.

---

I did a few bits of editing here and there. Most of it was in cleaning up and giving a consistent theme to abilities, tooltips, and other in-game appearing text. I added gates where the enemies warp in, and decorated the areas around them appropriately. It's not a major change, but it sure as heck helps it feel more consistent, and hopefully it will get this thread going again! I can't wait to see what other people develop!

Change Documentation:
9:45 PM: Loaded, examined existing map.
9:49 PM: Oh dear god.
9:52 PM: Tested map.
9:58 PM: Went to bed.
10:13 PM: Too much inspiration. Start editing.
10:30 PM: Designed the Stimpack ability off of an Unholy Frenzy base. Gave the power to the Medic. Adjusted Medic's abilities and text.
10:36 PM: Created a shimmering portal called a Spacegate and placed one at each Fel orc spawn point. Changed map initialization to make the spacegates indestructible. Added an effect on spawn so the orcs visibly teleport in.
10:40 PM: Added some blighted areas directly at the spacegate locations.
10:49 PM: Updated tooltips for friendly units. Removed unused upgrades and ability to clear up interface. Did not update siege engine. I have no idea what it is doing.
11:30 PM: Renamed the player's paladin to Doctor Migraine. Renamed abilities and updated tooltips to reflect the more space-like theme. Adjusted values in Resurrection to better reflect an actual upgraded use.
11:39 PM: Added a few random doodads.
11:40 PM: Finished up this documentation.
11:44 PM: Quick prayer to the muses in hopes that this thread may live and thrive.

I'd like to note that without any experience in the JASS, it is hard for me to be able to do substantive changes to the map, but as it grows more complex, I'll find new niches here and there and work things in... assuming that this starts to take off and get more contributors!

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    922.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This is too disorganized to go anywhere...

I would recommend the following.
1. Edit slots for the map are up to 24 hours. If someone fails to post back within that time then they forfeit the slot (all changes discarded, they will need to book another slot and port them). This means no one has to ask about the progress of the map since as long as 24 hours pass since the person booked his slot they can assume he forgot about it or gave up.

2. When wanting to edit a standard template should be used to grab the next slot. If two people post the template at near the same time it is which ever the server says arrived first and the other person (who arrived later) should delete his post. The template could include intended changes and an approximate duration of the booking (so other people know when to check back about, otherwise assume 24 hours).

3. When submitting the changed map a standard template should be used. This should include a download link to the map which must last at least 1 month. This template includes a brief description of the changes made. After this the person cannot make any more alterations and other people can book slots with the template from 2.

4. The same person cannot book two consecutive slots unless at least 24 hours has passed since his submission. This is to allow other people a chance to work on the map. The same person could book another slot within 24 hours of submission as long as at least 1 other person's slot occurred within that time.

5. All the standard templates should be very clear to understand and see. This is so that people do not get confused on what is happing. Failure to use the standard templates would result in your slot being ignored.

The main post should be updated with general goals, bugs, suggestions, etc as work progresses.

Level 25
Alright, I organised the imported models, added starting triggers, made a wave system for area1. Remade 1 spell of the hero and added a way to get reinforcements to your hero and imported a few more models.

I didn't change the terrain of the area tho.
Anyhow, the spawns for area 1 is finished, so you guys can continue and make the area after area 1, the city gate is destroyed when the first 10 waves have spawned. But feel free to add shops, starting itesms, etc.

Also I made two variables for the players, A_PLAYER and B_PLAYER_ORCS so use those when spawning units, etc.

Lastly, in the init trigger: set DEBUG_SKIP_INTRO if you want to skip the simple intro.

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Level 6
OK I'm on it

I'm redy

I add Gems as second recourse, cause every game is better with a little bling bling:grin:
To collect them, I build a three in a row game in the multiboard
and add a researchmenu to the HQ, so the gems are usable.
I add a Tower that can be placed by Armored Suits for gems to give some ideas how I thoght this system.

I hope you like it.

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Level 4
OK I'm on it

I'm redy

I add Gems as second recourse, cause every game is better with a little bling bling:grin:
To collect them, I build a three in a row game in the multiboard
and add a researchmenu to the HQ, so the gems are usable.
I add a Tower that can be placed by Armored Suits for gems to give some ideas how I thoght this system.

I hope you like it.

Holy crap guys. These updates have added a whole new layer to this map.
This is awesome.
Thanks for your hard work guys!

Level 6
I did another quick round on the map. It's ready for whoever wants to make the second area attackers.

I created a giant flying orc dreadnaught to serve as a boss creature.

I designed a rough place for Area 2.

I triggered it so that Area 2 will get started when you destroy the Orc Star Destroyer in that area. Whoever wants to design the second wave can just have the start trigger activate another trigger to get things rolling.

I fixed the tooltips for the hero powers.

Adding a petting zoo faction and puts some zerglings and hydralisks in pens.

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
Level 6
@AgeofComedy
@Spellbound
I'm glad you like it;)
I had the idea of a defender with this system a little earlier and I thought it could be cool in this project.

-What do you think about make this multiplayer?
It's early enough to change it.

Well I guess I'll do some editing on the map then.

EDIT:

This small update took me way too long to make @_@

- Added the Attack Drones purchasable spell from the Armored Battlesuit that give them two permanent drones that fire at incoming targets.
- Added the Enhanced Battlesuits research to the Research Hub
- Added the Stormcaster and made a Line Attack system for it. The one added to the start location is merely for demo purposes. Feel free to delete it.
- Added the Flamecaster (Not currently in use)
- Added the Goblin Gun Turret
- Added the Communications Antena
- Added an area to the south-east*

NB: the area to the south-east is meant to be some sort of defense post that you can upgrade while you send a team out to do whatever. However, if this conflicts with the map's overall theme, feel free to remove it or turn it into something else. The plan is to destroy the Comm Antenna and claim the place for your own. If no one wants to do anything with it, I will return to it in a later edit.

I have added some other unused models to the map that I think would be useful for a sci-fi setting. Have fun.

Oh also I swapped out PDD for Bribe's recently updated Damage Engine v3.0.0.0 as I was running into some issues with the line attack with PDD.

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Hey, a friend pointed me to this page here and it sounded entertaining, so I figured I'd pop open the map for a few and play with it.

As such, I am now editing the map. Probably will post back in the next few hours, because I have homework to do when I get done with this.

Edit: Alright, done my part at least for now. May return later.
I would do more, but I need to do homework.
Looking forward to Area 2, but have not added to it yet.

====What did I do====
Authored and added custom model for Drop Pod and for Orc Star Destroyer.
Gave the reinforcements a cooldown
Added option to drop healing drone and missile drone as reinforcements
Fixed tooltip on building Tower with gems
Added combat engineer
Fixed gems icon up top to not have yellow border

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Level 6
I HAVE COMPLETED EDITING.

Weakened the damage aura of the Orc Star Destroyer (LOVE THAT MODEL BTW)

Fixed the petting zoo fence so they don't get out.

Added a defeat condition of Dr. Migraine dying, added a quest to that effect.

Adjusted the audio sets for various units.

Added a very preliminary path for area 3 and the gate to block it.

Added a timer to go off between area 1 and area 2 so the player has to move and can't just sit around farming gems. Any units in area 1 three minutes after area 1 is cleared will explode.

Changed the continue attacking script the apply to all units on the map owned by player 2. IF YOU WANT TO PLACE A BOSS CHARACTER LIKE THE STAR DESTROYER IN AREA 2, PLACE IT UNDER THE CONTROL OF PLAYER 4. THAT WAY IT WON'T BE SUBJECT TO THE CONTINUE ATTACKING TRIGGER THAT KEEPS THE SPAWNED UNITS GOING AFTER THE HERO.

Made it so Armored Battlesuits can now construct Flamecaster Turrets. Adjusted relevant art, upgrades, and tooltips.

Started designing the Area 2 waves.

I designed waves 1-6 for Area 2. The number of units summoned may need to be adjusted as they are tested with extensive gameplay. I have to get to bed now, but I wanted to put this out there in case somebody else wants to pick it up overnight. If you want to finish making the waves, it's easy enough to just copy and paste the wave triggers, then make that wave trigger the next one, and then simply adjust the created units. I'm sure the numbers I plugged in will have to be adjusted as they are tested, too.

The Star Destroyer was still too strong and could wipe out entire fields of Marines. I think I fixed him by lowering the damage of his aura more, increasing the cooldown of his rockets, and lowering the damage of his swarm units. Still, if you find he is still too tough, please weaken him more accordingly.

If nobody takes it up and finishes the area 2 waves in the next 24 hours, I'll finish them myself.

Happy hunting, fellow editors!

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Just posting to check on the progress.

Also I've been thinking: do you guys think it's worth having a collective idea pool of things that can be added to the map? This would be like a list of suggestion that any potential participant might follow if they happen to be out of ideas but wish to do some editing.

Level 6
A fantastic idea to list our editing ideas here. I'll put down notes that I've been making:

I know that I wanted to weaken the Orc Star Destroyer more, since it was still wiping out entire fields of marines when I last checked. In particular, it's Barrage effect, which damages all nearby units, needs to be adjusted. It's just hard to tweak it since it is working under the assumption that the healbot is constantly going off.

I feel that the Battle Surgeon is so powerful that he is virtually unstoppable. I really think he should be weakened some, at least in terms of max HP.

I wanted to add goblin land mines that can either be purchased or otherwise acquired. They perfectly fit the existing flavor and map even without any modification.

I wanted to change the item names that were being used, if only for the starting items held by the Battle Surgeon, to better fit the theme that we have going on.

I was going to reduce the attack range of the goblin rocket squad, currently it is so large that they are often able to attack without barely moving at all from the spawn point.

I really want to have some kind of thing of in-map description or tutorial elements to teach players how to play this map, describing the way it works and how to do the gems game.

I'd like to see some Space Ogres and Space Trolls join the ranks of the forces of evil. We could go for an entire old horde feel for the whole thing.

I know there was a resource I ran across a while ago on here, a Frost Wyrm with rocket launchers on it... that might make another interesting enemy.

I never used the trigger commands to tell my spawned heroes in the first half of area 2 to gain abilities... I never did check to see if they chose abilities naturally after being leveled up by trigger... that definitely should be checked.

I never got the chance to create it, but what I had in mind to end Area 2 for for all of the trees in that area to turn into treants. I figured it would be a nice little surprise for the player.

Well, that's all I have for the time being,

Level 6
EDITING FINISHED

Here we go! I finished up area 2 for the map and made a few other adjustments. There is a strange thing going on though where Area 2 doesn't seem to be ending properly. It spawns the final wave, it destroys the leaderboard, but it isn't opening the gate or activating the bombard area 2 trigger properly, at least not in a few of my tests. I'm really not sure why this is happening, but I'm very tired and am likely overlooking something simple.

The point is that area 2 is finished, and here it is! If people could take quick looks and see if Area 2 is closing properly for them, and if not, find out exactly how and where to fix that, then we will be totally good to move on and continue our editing!

Good luck to you guys!

CHANGE LOG:
The Orc Star Destroyer has been nerfed slightly.

Battle Surgeon's HP has been nerfed slightly.

Added new Building: The commisary. This structure sells items. Currently it sells Goblin Land Mines and a Shield Orb (which is just a scroll of protection). You are welcome to add more items to this structure for it to sell. The Armored Battlesuit can build the commisary for 5 gems.

Goblin Missile Squad has had its attack range reduced.

Developed new unit first appearing in Area 2, Wave 8: The Meteoric Ogre. This hulking brute is basically as tough as an infernal.

Developed new unit first appearing in Area 2, Wave 12: The Pissed-Off Tree. This unit is for the finale of Area 2, I don't know if anybody can find utility for it beyond that. It is a heavy melee unit with entangling roots.

Adjusted bounty awards for the 3 existing evil forces heros, as well as the star destroyer and the meteoric ogre so that the player is rewarded with more gold and some gems as well.

I finished up area 2, and have the path that opens to the next part of the level. The script runs the bombardment that force the player to advance, so whoever wants to develop area 3, go right ahead!

If you want to add more items to the Commisary, please go ahead and add them, or just throw up your idea and one of us will add it when we are editing next. Note that I'm putting item prices in gems, similar to the towers.

Let's get this thread going again! Power to the editors!

Attachments

• Simple Defense Map.w3x
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Level 6
I'd really like it if Area 3 could be not just another stand here and wait till things spawn place. We are near to the western edge of the map, and I thought it might be fun if at the start of Area 3 it gives you some specialized casters, and the challenge is to use them as you progress through a gauntlet to try and reach area 4. That would provide a bit of diversity to this map that I think would be needed, and it gets us finished up with the western edge and down into the southern half of the map where we can finally work our way to the objective: the communication tower.

This is just my suggestion. It's the direction I would take this if I were working alone.

My little fixes that I want to list to get done are as follows:
1. My area 2 still isn't ending properly; it isn't opening up the gate or activating the bombardment trigger. I can't seem to figure out why.
2. Add an upgrade for the attack range of Marines.
3. Add a general upgrade for unit weapons.
4. Add a food limit so the player can never have more than X units. I was thinking like between 16 and 24. This will require making sure all the summonable units have proper food requirements.
5. Add a way to construct an alien defense tower in Area 2. I like the thing in Area 1, and why let such a nicely designed structure go unused again?

Level 13
I played the map a few weeks ago for funsies and whilst i was surprised it was playable and kind of fun, it sort of looked like 10 people had tried to squeeze their ideas into it, and made the map feel a bit... weird...

Can i ask why you don't do map concepts that are more suited for multiple editors and can actually be joint-played/tested by the creators? (e.g. mini-games, arenas). Current project is kind of meh in that regard.

Imo the current way can work, but there needs to be sort of like a main vein to follow rather than just going 'survival, go!'. Themes and ideas need to be given, like perhaps a list of things to do that each editor can add their own personal twist on. If the editing follows 1 line of ideas/theme, this can work.

Level 4
Alright guys. I'll suggest a theme and a genre. You guys should also suggest some stuff then I'll try to add a poll.

Melee, Apocalyptic

Arena, Medieval (No fantasy races)

Mini Games

That genre where you control one unit (like the capture the flag game), Zombies. So I have an idea of using one unit to run through a zombie horde, but if you get hit by a zombie you become a powerful zombie.

Those are my ideas currently. Add more.

Level 6
I personally feel we'll have more editors and more opportunities if instead of trying for a huge and unique theme, we stick with the WCIII base and just build unique maps, settings, and a few custom heroes and units.

Once we get into the area of scripting and complex triggers, my skills reach their end, but I can whip around that object editor like nobody's business.

Level 4
I personally feel we'll have more editors and more opportunities if instead of trying for a huge and unique theme, we stick with the WCIII base and just build unique maps, settings, and a few custom heroes and units.

Once we get into the area of scripting and complex triggers, my skills reach their end, but I can whip around that object editor like nobody's business.

Interesting idea

Level 6
Or we could just forget making a playable level and just make a big map people can explore. With lots of enemies to fight, fun little things to discover and experience... think the WCIII TFT orc bonus campaign...

That way every editor of every skill level can add things, from terrain to custom units to interactive sections to unique scripted events. And that way, since everybody can have their own little sections, people's visions won't end up overlapping, so anybody could take it and really add what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.