• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Kaitech] Some form of Naga Island thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hullo there, just a small terrain I have been working on for a few days now when I can be asked to do anything to it. It's still in WIP stages!

Soon to come: The Undead Scourge, The Goblins (Yeah...), Custom Models and stuff along them lines...

What the hell did Imageshack do to the whole direct link crap O_O

Level 17
You shouldn't show the end of the world.

If you read it's a WIP

Humans - Bad angle, and a long stetch to the little island?

Orcs - I can barely see the fleet, I swear it's humans.

Naga - Well I can see that puddle Tower

Night Elves - Are they trying to hide?

Overall - Bad angles, no fog, and no UNDEAD!?

@Humans: The angle is bad because that shot is rushed and the long stretch is man made... Somehow...

@Orcs: What fleet?

@Naga: Wow, want a medal for your I Spy skills?

@Night Elves: No, if they were trying to hide they'd be in trees.

Your I Spy skills are lacking because there is fog, it's black fog.
Undead are soon to come, if you were to read you'd of seen that
Bad angles huh? What do you want, WC3 angles? They're meant to be from the view of different people. The Human View is from the view of a Peasant. The Orc View is from a Peon. The Night Elf view is from the Ancient Protector. The Naga View is from a Coatl.

Your post was useless becuase A) You can't be asked to look at the shots properly and B) You didn't read
The IQ of people nowadays is declining to fast O_O

Level 7
Your fellow terrainers of the board are only trying to give you constructive criticism to help you improve your skills, you need not to have offensive comments in return. They are only trying to help you.

As far as your terrains are concerned, use Lordaeron rain over Ashenvale rain, it looks a lot better. Try playing with custom doodads a little, they can really improve the look of your terrain. Also, though you mentioned there is a fog try playing around with different colors and make it a little more thick. Lastly, try to play around with scaling a bit, you'll realize it's worth it to spend that extra time going into object editor to make a doodad bigger/smaller to better fit a terrain.

Again, I hoped this helps you. Feel free to be snide or overly defensive against it, I understand it's your work and you put time into it. But try to take it into consideration. Good luck on your future terrains. Keep it up. :D

Level 17
Ghenjis...

Uchiha and Ninjas aren't terrainers, and they weren't giving constructive criticism either.

Super sheep is just spamming

Rom is giving encouragement (Thanks)

Gilles maybe missed the fact it's a WIP

You gave the best criticism out of the whole thread so far. I'm sorry that my replies to the pair of... Leave it... and Gilles may of seemed a bit rude but.. People need to read.. And use their common sense.

I'll work on this terrain when my WoW subscription runs out ^^
I'm actually tempted to re-create some terrain from Fable 2 XD

Level 34
Kaitech[SanD];894033 said:
Ghenjis...

Uchiha and Ninjas aren't terrainers, and they weren't giving constructive criticism either.

Super sheep is just spamming

Rom is giving encouragement (Thanks)

Gilles maybe missed the fact it's a WIP

You gave the best criticism out of the whole thread so far. I'm sorry that my replies to the pair of... Leave it... and Gilles may of seemed a bit rude but.. People need to read.. And use their common sense.

I'll work on this terrain when my WoW subscription runs out ^^
I'm actually tempted to re-create some terrain from Fable 2 XD
Don't use the WIP excuse to hide. I saw a major flaw and pointed it out. You could have said that you knew, and you were going to add a background later, you just wanted to get the foreground done, but you didn't. I therefore pointed it out.

It also doesn't matter if someone terrains or not, they can still judge. Do you think art critiques can paint what they critique?

I apologize for my lack of a good critique, I just usually point out the biggest flaw I see due to a lack of time. It's not really my job to give critiques as a moderator, it's to run the forum. Although it would be lame if I didn't post about terrain.

Level 17
Don't use the WIP excuse to hide. I saw a major flaw and pointed it out. You could have said that you knew, and you were going to add a background later, you just wanted to get the foreground done, but you didn't. I therefore pointed it out.

But then if I did reply that I was aware that I could see the end of the world that would add to.. The un-useful posts

[/QUOTE]It also doesn't matter if someone terrains or not, they can still judge. Do you think art critiques can paint what they critique?[/QUOTE]

I know that, but Ghen said "Your fellow terrainers" and the posts made by my "Fellow terrainers", Uchiha and Ninjas were not critique. Ninjas obviously took the smallest glimpse at the shots and said "Amg, bad angles, no undead, can't use eyes to find fog and where the hell is naruto!?". Uchiha obviously didn't use his brain cell and click the links, seeing as Imageshack have decided that they don't want direct links any more.

[/QUOTE]I apologize for my lack of a good critique, I just usually point out the biggest flaw I see due to a lack of time. It's not really my job to give critiques as a moderator, it's to run the forum. Although it would be lame if I didn't post about terrain.[/QUOTE]

I see, but I wouldn't of claimed you're overlooking the fact it's a WIP if well... It was finished. And if this WAS a finished terrain I wouldn't start the thread because it sucks at this stage..

Now, can I at least get some decent criticism like that of which Ghen gave me?

Level 34
The camera angles aren't great, I can't really tell you what would work though. You have to play with it. I'd try a higher perspective, not game view, but a little bit more up.

The fog isn't a great choice, since it looks poor in the background. I'd try a dark blue. The units are ugly, you should avoid units in terrain usually.

Camera angles are so-so, they're a bit low. If you show the end of the world, make it ocean ONLY - horizon can be explained (or add waterfalls at the end and say it's the 15th century). Also, keep the height the same the entire time.
People pointed out there's no fog because, practically, there is none. Unless the black is intense, which is, most of the time, indoors, it doesn't count simply because it just shades things dark. I'd recommend a white, light blue, dark blue or dark teal, play around with them.
Don't use blizzard trees and this angle. It just looks... bad. They're made to be viewed from above, so that the overlapping leave mash can't be seen in two layers. Try putting shrubs on world trees, using giant bushes or putting shrubs in trees.
Like Ghenjis said, use lordaeron rain, also: camp fire / torches + rain? Put a centaur tent as cover. Units aren't too good looking, they stand out too much, if you tint them darker and/or make them black team colour, it usually fixes that up a bit. And if you're using buildings - make sure to remove the ground texture or make a doodad for the facing. It looks way better.
Now, as far as I've recorded, cacti don't grow on beaches, and rock types don't change dramatically either - you switched the tileset doodads to Barrens, I can see that. The Naga and Night Elf are huge amounts of clutter - keep it lower, ie. size down Z scale, or put in variation, ie. flowers. And you may want to make the island a bit bigger.

Two side notes: Ninja terrains. And so does other guy, forgot his name.

Level 17
Hm... A wall of text.

Thanks for your advice Bel, but seriously, 70% of Ninja's post and Uchi's post were just completely useless.

Ok, Bel:

I dunno why but I like low down cameras. It gives alot more of a human view as opposed to some flying contraption or something.

If I remember correctly the height is the same, but I dunno.. Havn't touched the terrain in a while, WoW is eating me alive ^^

The reason I chose the fog to be black in these shots is because I made it night-time. I am, well.. Was, working on some triggers so it'd give different angles and variation between day/night. What do you suggest I do with the fog?

The Blizzard trees are just temporary; I'm going to start replacing them with custom models soon. They are there for looks.

Yeah, I'll use a better rain. Yeah, I forgot about the whole "Rain consumes fire" idea XD
When you say campfire + torch do you mean the torch inside the campfire? I added that for lighting.

I tinted the naga, just because I couldn't be bothered to tint the rest yet.

Yeah, forgot about the ubersplats... What do you mean by "Make a doodad for the facing"

The cacti are part of Barrens.

What do you mean by "The rocks don't change dramatically"

What do you mean by this?

Which one?

Level 17
Oh, these are meant to be different regions kinda circling around the Naga, who are becoming an increasingly large threat destroying the naval trading routes between the Human and Night Elves... Same goes for the Orcs and (Soon to come) Goblins... Undead are just extending their armies so (Just to make some form of story line XD)... I wouldn't say beach to beach, more region to region. I mean cmon, you don't get Frosty Rocks in somewhere like Tanaras now, do you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.