• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Just a rough idea for a boss contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
As it may be noticed for the other persons that are active on the Arena, the bosses theme is appearing way more frequently than it did in the past. Also, the creation of new contest section isn't discarded, being that now there are "Design contests", and for a while there were ideas about a "script contest".
On the line with all of that, I think a "boss contest" isn't a crazy idea, as the world of bosses is as vast as any other on the modding.

The idea below is just a possibilty for it, but the central idea is pretty simple: create a vinculation between the contests, by using the entries for the Design Contest N°1, that is slowly approaching to its end, and that was themed about arenas for bosses. Just a possibility for it would be:
Participants may choose one of the Arenas from the Design Contest #1, and create a boss with different mechanics/concept that the ones that were imagined by the original authors when making their entry (all of them stated their concepts on their entries description). The objective is to make something that may surprise the design-maker, while keeping a vinculation between design and boss. This should be analysed as a different criteria, being the use of the predictable mechanics a negative factor, and the lack of vinculation another one. Of course, thinking outside the box isn't only encouraged, but neccesary. Asking the authors about what they thought is allowed, as long as they don't give any different ideas.
Not sure about that particular theme, it could be something different. Again, I just think it's a good idea to take advantage of the beautiful and inspiring arenas we got with the design contest

Hey, if you read the description in the level design contest #1 I plan to do exactly what you are describing :)

Probably not the same description, but I plan to host a boss fight contest where the contestants can choose between the top 3 winners in the level design contest.

Level 20
Is it technically possible to convert the arenas to lower patch versions? Because a boss design competition is something that I could consider participating in, but I'm not to keen on downloading Reforged just to make a boss fight for an arena that I like best.

Last edited:
Is it technically possible to convert the arenas to lower patch versions? Because a boss design competition is something that I could consider participating in, but I'm not to keen on downloading Reforged just to make a boss fight for an arena that I like best.
Should be possible yeah, if you save the maps as folders, transfer all the resources and necessary files for the terrain and object data to the map on the lower version.

Status
Not open for further replies.