• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Themed Contest - Boss Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24

Boss Fight - Mapping

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. Map must revolve around players fighting one or more "boss" creatures, or levels. A "boss" could be anything, but points will be deducted if its not sutabily "boss-like".
  2. All work must be started after this contest begins, for the purpose of this conetst.
  3. The features that may be edited are:
  4. Any artistic imports are allowed, as long as properly credited. Extra points will be awarded for using your own resources made for this contest.
  5. Imported spells, are not allowed, as well as larger systems. Systems like: Ammoroth's GetPlayerColoured are however permitted, but it would be best to design your own.
  6. Map may be any size, but it is reccomend to keep it to a reasonable size.

Contest Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 40 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • Jugding Criteria:
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contest Dates And Deadline
  • Each map must be complete and submitted 3 weeks after the contest begins.
    The contest shall begin on 00.00.0000 and conclude on 00.00.0000[rainbow]
    [/rainbow] (GMT)

Level 24
Well, I'm glad that this is getting some intrest.

@Hawkwing I realize that. It should give some people time to plan!

I think it'd be pretty cool. I'm not at all a terrainer/triggerer, so I couldn't compete, but I'd love to see something like this.

Well, there is that. The main requerment is that you be a profiecent coder, with average terrain.

Level 24
"Extra points will be awarded for using your own resources made for this contest"
That's kinda unfair if you ask me cause not everyone can make models or stuff like that D:
Otherwise this sounds pretty nice competition

Level 14
Ahah! At last somthing I would compete in well enough to feel good about it.

X.e.r.e.X, I was under the impression that contests were to pit your skills against other people? How does handicapping everyone who's better at something than you follow along with that...?

Actually, I believe X.e.r.e.X is thinking well. Wouldnt getting getting an advantage by using your own resource making this a modeling contest, or a skinning contest as well? I say it should be kept at a "Boss Fight Contest"

~Asomath

Level 24
Well, personally I don't. You should be rewarded for being able to make good models. You took the time to learn, and it follows that you should be able to implement them. The main point of the contest will still be to make a "Boss Fight". If the model is crappy, it will negate upon your score. Still, it is likely that if you can model, then you will make a model that fits your terrain better, and fits the game better.

]i think it sounds pretty cool but there needs to be more specific description of bosslike or there will be argurments, and you know it.

The "boss-like" ness will be determined by judges. Therefor arguments will not happen, unless the judge confilcts with himself. If the judge deems it 'un-boss-like" he will mark it as disqualified.

Those are my thoughts on the matter, so please. Everyone give feedback, or critisims.

Level 24
Well if that's what you think, and everyone agrees, I have two other suggestions:

1) One of the judging categores is, Models and how they fit with the rest of the map.

2) It is NOT a mapping contest, but an 90% mappings 10% other.

3) Eliminate the models altogether from the judging, but they will effect the vote, and the general appearance of the map.

Level 40
This strikes me as being a "general" contest, rather than a coding contest or a terraining contest or anything, so I don't see why modeling, texturing, and icon-making shouldn't be allowed (or considered, whichever comes up)...

Meh.

I mean, I'd agree with you if it was only one aspect, but seeing as it's trying to encompass the whole feel of the boss fight, modeling, texturing, etc, aren't unimportant.

Level 24
HappyTauren said:
No, paired contests are no longer original.

Also, they almost never work. It will greatly cut down on the number of submissions.
This strikes me as being a "general" contest, rather than a coding contest or a terraining contest or anything, so I don't see why modeling, texturing, and icon-making shouldn't be allowed (or considered, whichever comes up)...

Meh.

I mean, I'd agree with you if it was only one aspect, but seeing as it's trying to encompass the whole feel of the boss fight, modeling, texturing, etc, aren't unimportant.

Here I have to agree with Poot, still if you can't make your own models, you should still have a chance of winning the contest. So, here is my idea:

The judges have a category called "Appearance". This is judged on the whole cisual effect of the game. It is likely that if you make your won models, they will match the area better, and have more fitting animations, and so on. This would probably include terrain.

Then you would have a Gameplay category, that is worth the majority of the points.

Also a coding category, worth less than both of the others, as it is something that most players never see. If you can code well, you're gameplay will probably be more functional, and work better in gameplay.

I am thinking something like:

• Appearance - 30%
  • Coding - 10%
  • Game play - 60%

But we have at least 3-4 weeks to sort this out, so please again, propose counter suggestions, additional categories, or faults.

Another idea is: There aren't any set categories, just whichever is liked the most overall. This is more traditional, but we would probably want more than one judge -- The judging is still long to come, and un-suprisingly it will be left to the judges to decide --

This is the most likely and it seems to get the most support, at the moment I'm just bouncing around rough ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.