• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jump & Run (2D-System)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hmm... I've never heard of anything like this before. My first thought was a Contra-type game would be just amazing, but then I realized you'd have to have a way to shoot projectiles vertically... and I don't think there's a way to do that in the WC3 engine.

I'd like to see someone attempt a 2D scroller of some sort, it'd be a change of pace compared to the usual stuff.

Level 13
I've made a firs try to realize this.

There are some points that need to be worked on to get this working fine at all:

- There is no jump and fire function yet.
Maybe someone is interested in doing these?

- The movement sucks because it doesn't work to hold down the LEFT/RIGHT arrow keys to get the unit keep moving constantly.
Maybe anyone knows how to get this working?

- The normal movement functions (mouse right-click) should be disabled somehow.
It would be cool to use mouse clicks to activate abilities like firing instead

Here are some screens how it could look like.
*updated*

I guess, especially when adding a good multiplayer, this could get real fun..

(credits for mario model and icon to Dan van Ohllus)

Attachments

• mario01.jpg
    mario01.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 206
  • mario04.jpg
    mario04.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Level 7
Yeah it would be fun. Im making a above-view scrolller using jets where instead of the click command you would use the up down left right arrows to move your jet in those directions.
It would be a trigger that checks your unit position and if you pushed left it would move you -2,0 of your current position every so many seconds so your jet will always be pointed toward the front like real jet side-scrollers.
Then theirs just your basic collision system that would shoot out a unit so many seconds in the direction of your units facing.
Then it wouuld have to be a trigger detection so when a unit gets within range of a unit type kill unit or for stronger enemies, do a set amount of dmg.

Level 6
Soldat in wc3, go!

They actually have that. The screen is sideways, and they actually imported custom models of riflemen rotated sideways. Its ridiculously well done, too. You have jetpacks that follow flawless physics, and a weapon system that can even register head shots. Beautiful.

Oh wait, thats what you guys were talking about before....
Don't mind me!

Level 9
haha.. good luck in making that.. i am looking forward to play! ur map will be named super mario?

"There is no jump and fire function yet.
Maybe someone is interested in doing these?"
i got an idea, dono it will work or not. u can try a trigger like this:

event: when a key presed
condition: key pressed = "w"
actions:
for integer A from 1 = 10, do multiple actions
- set unit Mario height = curent height for mario + 5
- move unit Mario instanly to Position of Mario + 2, direction = facing degree of Mario
- wait 1 second

for integer A from 1 = 10, do multiple actions
- set unit Mario height = curent height for mario - 5
- move unit Mario instanly to Position of Mario + 2, direction = facing degree of Mario
- wait 1 second

something like tat.. but i think the control might be too stupid n dummy hehe..

Level 13
Yeah I figured it out and got it all working now.

I just forgot to use the Key-Release event.
By using it, I could make a smooth movement.

Currently I'm wondering, if it should be a mario and friends game, or a rpg styled map with wc3 heroes.

Level 4
Jetherit: I made a comment about how projectiles -can't- move vertically, at least with the standard system. I really can't think up in my head any sort of system using JASS that would allow for that either. But that was for the idea of having a Contra-style side scrolling shooter, not a platformer type.

This entire thing is difficult to pull off in WC3, I'm very interested to see what it becomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.