• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sonic type map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
*Newest Update and Info*
Added a screen to the beginning of the first course. It'll start off on a city street leading into a tunnel and then onto a suspension bridge. I'll be adding custom doodads when everything is plotted down with ingame models. Examples are: Tree's, Signs, Cars, Suspension Bridge, Buildings for now.

I plan on modelling a suspenion bridge and a tunnel. The camera will be set to 3rd person view so you can see inside the tunnel model. The suspension bridge I plan on making that you can go straight down the middle, the left or right long sloping suspension lines. This would be done done with seperating the main road and the suspension lines with pathing blocks but leaving enough space on the lines so your not bumping into the sides of the blockers all the time.
Ex of suspension: Their would be more coins on the suspension line routes (Path 1,3) but finding a good angle to get straight across would be the downside of this path and also if someone else beats you to it they'll get all the coins if their good. The main route (Path 2) will be easier to run through but will have less coins,coin containers to obtain.
-----------------------------------|J|----- Path 1
-----------------------------------|J|-----

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Path 2

-----------------------------------|J|----- Path 3
-----------------------------------|J|-----
If you take the suspension path at the |J| you will have to use the jump ability to get onto the mini-towers supporting the bridge and then jump back down onto the line. Also make sure your angle is correct, if its not you will jump down below into the out_of_bounds region
and be taken back to the last checkpoint and lose a life if I add lives.

*Main Idea*
Would you guys think a sonic related map that would probably focus on getting through courses the fastest possible while collecting coins could hold some ground?

I don't have much for screenshots cept a bumper type idea I have and just buying an egg and it hatching into a chao. The chao part probably wouldnt be in unless just for a fun thing to do while waiting to play a course.

I get within a certain distance of the tower, which acts like a bumper, to get me to the spot inside the trys on screenshot 8.

Scoring Info:
Scoring Aspect 1A. Course coin collection.
You get like 25 coins in a course which will be like 25gold uptop. Im not that good with triggering but im guessing it will be like everytime u pick up a gold coin, it adds a value +1 and will do a Gold X 10. That will add 250 to your score.

Scoring Aspect 1B. Finishing time on completion.
Basically finishing the course while a timer is counting down. Example of this is making the game recognize how much time is left and break it down into sections.
EX:0-30secs F, 30-60 D, 60-90 C, 90-120 B, 120-150 A, 150-180 E. E=1500,A=1000,B=750,C=500,D=250,F=0

Their could even be bonus mini-games for players to get their score higher between running courses. The only problem is how would you control your character while running a course?
I would have it like a driving type of game while running courses, but when doing a doing a minigame or general moving around out of running course, I would prefer a general wsad movement.

I would defiantly have a jump ability while running a course so that when running to the edge of a cliff you can use a jump ability and if you get close enough to a floating bumper it starts the bumping sequence like I already have setup to get across a canyon.
Having a fast host would be a requirement, cuz playing that racing game made by blizzard with a slow host suxors.

Relating threads of mine
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43660 Sonic Model
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43526 Chao Model

Attachments

• Chao2.jpg
    Chao2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Chao3.jpg
    Chao3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Chao5.jpg
    Chao5.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Chao6.jpg
    Chao6.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 265
  • Chao7.jpg
    Chao7.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Chao8.jpg
    Chao8.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Bridge1 jpeg.jpg
    Bridge1 jpeg.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Bridge2 jpeg.jpg
    Bridge2 jpeg.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Bridge5 jpeg.jpg
    Bridge5 jpeg.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 165
  • sonic screen1.jpg
    sonic screen1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 151
  • sonic screen2.jpg
    sonic screen2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 147
  • sonic screen3.jpg
    sonic screen3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 150
  • sonic screen4.jpg
    sonic screen4.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 180
  • sonic screen5.jpg
    sonic screen5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Tunnel corner render.jpg
    Tunnel corner render.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Level 7
Lol will do :). Im almost halfway modelling my sonic model now. Once Its done, its rigging,skinning,and animating followed by some frustrating triggers im sure ><.

Plan on doing all that for a couple other popular sonic characters so everyone won't have to be sonic. It will be alot of work lol, maybe ill recruit a triggerer and i'll need a skinner for sure.

Level 8
You could go for a Sonic Heroes game with Sonic, Knuckles, Tails(My favourite), Big, Cream(or Cheese, I cannot remember which is which), Rose, Eggman/Dr. Robotnic, Shadow, Rouge, Charmy (cannot remeber the names of the following) The Alligator, The Chameleon.

There is also Metal Sonic and Silver.

Your idea sounds like fun too. Sonic re-defined platform games when he came out, showing they could be fast, furious and fun. Previously, Alex Kidd was the head honcho of platform games. Perhaps you can make a re-definition of WC3 maps.

Level 15
Make a Design your own Path! just a thought.. You got an guy which can change Ground Texture, a guy who build walls, jumper etc and a guy who make Scenarios, then players can test out the other guys paths :) you might want to use it in a futere path (version, not "road" lol ^^). Hope you would make it, really love maps where you can build xD

Level 7
Yea radical highway I was experimenting with. I did figure out the texture problem. I might finish one course and see how peeps on battle.net like it. If its any good ill make more courses and maybe some extra stuff.

I have alot of map idea's like my oblivion,imperium galatica, an old 50% completed rpg, my main map castle siege, etc that I would like to see done but dont have time to complete them all so i have to pick one soon since C.S. will be done fairly soon.

Level 11
arrows will lag if using them, sadly, and just cause you need certain requirements to play it lag free it won't be popular no offense, not enough ppl on wc3 b.net anymore with capabilities to play a game like this lag free, its a great concept, wish you made it a few years back, then enough ppl to keep it alive.

Level 7
yea i just finally started to get the hang of World editor editing and modelling. I could possibly make this work if it was like a slide kitty slide or something. Could give just a basic jump command with afew other commands and just have it sorta like a race but would need some extra features to make it fun.
Like the grand prix or something.

Level 11
yeah, but since dota even the kitty races havn't been as popular but go for it i want to see you succeed not fail. I still want to learn how to make models lol

Level 7
Yea it would have to include some type of combat with a slide kitty slide concept. Could even just have regular char movement maybe just have alot of lag free,neat,small abilities/attacks triggers to make the game interesting.
Just click your way through while fighting off baddies and collecting coins and using the jump command to get up places and down and to activate a bumper sequence which i think could be done fairly easily.

Yea making a map gets pretty fun when you make models yourself instead of waiting for a request. Then it gets even better if you can texture/uvunwrap and finally animate your model. The models that are mine up their are the extension bridge, mail box, sign, fire hydrant, tunnel. I can fix the tunnels texure now but havent got around to it.
Also havent put the roadway texture on the extension bridge yet, its so big i had to break it into 3 pieces cuz the model dissapears when u get to far away from the middle of the model :p. Its still slightly to big, ill have to edit it.

Level 7
shh shh no fighting lol. I dont know what im doing yet with this map. Theirs a 90% chance ill never finish it but I dont know, im experimenting with about 5 maps atm where I have the first parts of them all completed. Depends on which map I find the most fun.
When I do I might just post all the other maps I started as templates for anyone else lookin to make a map.

Level 11
love the optimism well when you don't complete it but throw in the towel let me dl it ^.^ i'd like to see it, though i'd never work on it. I'm not a big sonic fan any more, stoped once they basically went to nintendo systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.