• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jetpack [1.0.0b]

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
J E T P A C K
[1.0.0b]

About
JETPACK is a 2D platform game created by Sourc[e]x for WarCraft III.
The object of the levels is to collect all of the keys scattered around the level while avoiding obstacles and enemies.
Once accomplished, a door opens which the player must go through in order to complete the level.

The map also features a in-game level editor. It's kinda slow and not very user-friendly, but it works properly.

Gameplay1.jpg

Gameplay2.jpg

Gameplay3.jpg

LevelEditor1.jpg

Code:
[B]Models:[/B]
        Sourc[e]x

[B]Textures:[/B]
        Sourc[e]x

[B]Scripting:[/B]
        Sourc[e]x

[B]Additional systems:[/B]
        Vexorian (TimerUtils)
        Ammorth  (MultiBars)

[B]Music:[/B]
        Main menu: darthduba @ Newgrounds
        Gameplay: coolguy @ Newgrounds
        Editor: Marcus-Werhaldus @ Newgrounds

Special thanks to Vexorian for creating JassHelper.

Notes
- JETPACK is now open source.
- Arrow key synchronization delay can make things crazy hard.
- JETPACK will only work on newer patches.

JETPACK
- Public release

- Added a computer player slot.
- Fixed a bug with the Exit Location not loading correctly from the gamecache.

- New editor tiles and entities.
- Fixed a level tile bug.
- Added some new sound effects.
- Added a zoom function.

0.9.7b
- Fixed Death Wheel's (saw blades) facing direction.

- Added more editor tiles and entities.
- Fixed a bug with entities pushing buttons in the editor.
- Fixed zoom camera position.
- More sound effects added.

- Minor bug fixes and code maintenance.

- Logo added to the main menu.
- Created a scoreboard to keep track of highscores.
- Jetpack is now open source.

1.0.0b
- Decreased map bounds size to get rid of a "out of bounds" bug on empty bound cells.

Keywords:
Jetpack, 2d, platform, DOS, classic, editor, singleplayer, minigame
Contents

Jetpack [1.0.0b] (Map)

Level 16
i wouldnt want to play this, cause i have migrated from my gamboy to my com just because i hate these flash games.
the idea and everything else is good, but have u considered why would any1 wants to play this? if u are going to use this to show off ur talents, u would have been awarded 10/10. however, not much people would want to play this. no fun value.

How could you know that people don't think this is fun? How?!
Some people may enjoy these games.

Level 12
i wouldnt want to play this, cause i have migrated from my gamboy to my com just because i hate these flash games.
the idea and everything else is good, but have u considered why would any1 wants to play this? if u are going to use this to show off ur talents, u would have been awarded 10/10. however, not much people would want to play this. no fun value.

With this map, some people will care about the gameplay, but others are looking at how it is a complete mod of warcraft, a completely new game, not another map that works with warcraft, but sits alone in innovation, and can't be match by anybody thats just started, or has been modding for a few years infact. You may not like it, but others are astounded at the pure fact that its another limit breaker, opening a gateway for more advanced and amazing mods we havn't seen since release.

Level 35
ACdestinydream said:

Okay, I have an idea for you. Get out more. Meet some people other than your reflection. Find out what their interests are.

Once you do that (if you ever do) you will find that different people have, funnily enough, different interests. That means that no matter how highly you think of yourself, there is going to be people who like this style of gameplay. And even if they're sick of it on the flash, they could at least appreciate how awesome this mod is and how Sourc[e]x has, once again, changed the face of Warcraft 3.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean there's no fun value. Granted, there may be no fun value for you, but who really gives a damn about you? I mean, come on, seriously, who cares about your opinion in respect to their own? I sure as hell don't.

You can't assume that people don't like the gameplay. I don't really like flash games myself, but I find this map mod to be more than entertaining. Look at the other posts. Yours is the first actual negative response. Oh, and look. It's the last one, too. I guess you're going to be on your own for a long time. And people say hive isn't like RL.

Level 1
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean there's no fun value. Granted, there may be no fun value for you, but who really gives a damn about you? I mean, come on, seriously, who cares about your opinion in respect to their own? I sure as hell don't.

As is your opinion to me =P

Give the kid a break, he can't even use proper language/grammar/spelling... It's not HIS fault he's that way... he's just too little to appreciate ART.

Last edited:
Level 35
@Narrator: Can not believe you just said that... this calls for a facepalm.

Basically, the reason your quote is facepalm worthy is because Illidan(Evil)x went ten steps further than what you suggested and crapped all over your suggestion. While he could waste time making more levels (maybe one or two more would be nice, but I believe he's adding things other than more levels), he's already created a level editor so users can create AND save their own levels. Pretty good, eh? Check it out, that will satisfy your craving for more levels :p

Level 27
I also would like to have a save code system for your level editor so you could share them at THW... you knw, maybe at this thread, maybe make a special thread for that... it would be cool if you could show people your creations so they could try them and try theirs... like with Portal maps.

Level 35
That would be cool, don't know if it's possible, but it would still be cool nonetheless :p

Maybe even people could just post screenies on a Forum thread dedicated to this map. I wouldn't reccomend doing it here, that would just be spammy imo -.-'

And we all know spam is bad and that spammers deserve to drown in their own defication after being slapped about with their own arms ;)

I'm not a big fan of the level code generator. Why? Because each cell have to store 4 values (tile, entity, entity direction and entity velocity (11 characters in total per cell)). Even if I somehow successfully optimizes a cell down to three characters, you're still left with a 1083 character long code.
It's the very reason I'm saving the levels in a gamecache and not generating codes.

The reason I haven't created more default level is because it's a very tedious process -- Imagine coding a level by hand.

Level 5
As many before, I have to say that this is quite impressive.
But, at least in my opinion, the controls seemed a bit dull/slow. Also, I didn't like the background music you chose, but that's just a negligibility :grin:

Level 7
As many before, I have to say that this is quite impressive.
But, at least in my opinion, the controls seemed a bit dull/slow. Also, I didn't like the background music you chose, but that's just a negligibility :grin:

The background music isn't the main part of the game, it is mainly do you like the game in itself. Althought I have a suggestion to the creator about the music :p and as for the keys it is a tiny bit slow but I think its more that the man is supposed to move slowly.

Glad to see you are still improving this map, you finally added a high-score system that I suggested and have been eagerly waiting for! Good job I can now challenge my friends and beat them :p.

Things you could add:
  • More levels
  • A Music Box in the main menu which allows you to choose the background song that plays

Good map and I will always love it and great to see you are still updating it making it awesomer,
Lag_Reviews :p

PS: Good luck! and thanks for adding highscores it rox :p

Level 11
Another idea of being able to spread your custom levels:
Let the user export his level, if you press the button "Export level", the map will create a gamecache named Level #1 (or let the user choose a name via chat).
This way you could easily load that gamecache if you know the name.

To the map itself: Awesome! It's pretty fun to play, the editor rocks and the music if fine, too. Liked it very much, rated 5/5 :)

Level 22
I'm not a big fan of the level code generator. Why? Because each cell have to store 4 values (tile, entity, entity direction and entity velocity (11 characters in total per cell)). Even if I somehow successfully optimizes a cell down to three characters, you're still left with a 1083 character long code.
It's the very reason I'm saving the levels in a gamecache and not generating codes.

The reason I haven't created more default level is because it's a very tedious process -- Imagine coding a level by hand.

this is fucking amazing game

about the code, isnt it just possible to make it detect if the whole map got the same tile (or most parts)? that would save you alot of space, but as you say I dont think you can optimize it more

and btw you are one of the greatest map makers I've ever seen, first cannon commander, now this, dunno is MD finished? (A)

Hmm, I`ve found a bug. If you build a ladder to the top of a map, not blocked by a wall, and the go on the top of the ladder you can move right/left, like you`d be still on the ladder (sc-shot)
Thanks. I'll fix it ASAP. :)

Instead of complaining about the music choice, I suggest posting links to some better legal tracks I can use.

Level 11
A new gamecache for a saved game?! This is bulls**t! It would be a killer!
Maybe a new category in a cache for a saved game!
What I want to archieve with that is that you can exchange your custom levels easily with others. Mean's you could just type in -load LevelByRandomUser and you could play that level :>

edit: hur, I thought Warcraft saves those gamecaches somewhere in it's folder, but that doesn't seem to be the case :/

Last edited:
Level 8
Omg...You actually made JetPack! I used to play Jetpack non stop years ago. So far I can remember the following, which I hope can be of some assistance to add features in your map.

Monsters:
Robots: Move along the ground towards you. Can climb ladders.
Bats (hard to notice what they where with about 4 pixels) which would fly towards you.
There was this small gray thing with a red dot which can move through walls and move very very slowly and flew towards you.
Then there was these round blue things with a red dot in the center (lol)....which if I remember correctly flew around randomly in a area.

Terrain:
Fuel Giving Squares: Squares that gradually recharge your fuel
Fuel Removing Squares: Squares that reduce your fuel while standing inside them
Escalator Bricks: Move you to a side while standing on it
Iced Bricks: Cause you to slide
Destructible Terrain: I remember some terrain types being destructible. Some terrain would reappear over time and if you still occupy that square you die :p. I remember these purple squares which was instantly destroyed but reappeared almost instantly.
Ladders moving you up/down.
Bricks which where ethereal, and look like normal bricks but you can move through them.
Spike Traps: If you walk over them you die. They where rather hard to spot (I think :p)
Teleporters

I also remember some powers ups which would spawn every once in a while at a random spot, one of which made you invulnerable.

Some ideas i though of you might want to add is some multiplayer features which i though of.

Campaign Co-op: Play with other players who help you to collect the gems :p. Atleast one player has to survive to the end to get to the next level. All the levels are pre-made.

Race: Which player can complete the entire campaign (of only a few maps) in the shortest time.

Tournament
All players make their maps in the starting 5 minutes.
Thereafter each player has to complete his/her own map. You'll have a limited time to complete your own map and your map will be removed if you fail to complete it.
All remaining maps should now be possible to complete.
Players then play each other maps and the player who has the most score wins.

Last edited:
Level 5
That's nice but if I want to use it I have to buy a joystcik furst xD.
And the incredible size of 24kb and the fact that is seemed quite user friendly.

Oh, I forgot to post something about the game, so yeah, I vote 5/5 and you've heard this like thirty times but this is the most awesome 2d game I've ever played.

Level 5
You almost killed me xD.

And checkpoints is going to be a good thing.

Anyway whooo, this is my 100 post.

hive_bigger.png

Date: 2011/Oct/15 14:59:48
Vengeancekael: VM // PM:
Rep Received: 0
Reasons:
Other:
If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a thread here: Map Resource Moderation
If you think the moderator's judging is unfair or you have overall complaints, make a thread here: Admin Contact
Please read the rules thoroughly: Rules

Comment: One of the most fun, customizable and advanced maps ever! Everyone has to play this at least once.

Level 2
NICE GAME!!! 5/5

If i Save and Load a game and start a level the timer don't run, he stops all the time at 00:00:01

This is now rated Director's Cut? That just made my month. Thank you. :)

If i Save and Load a game and start a level the timer don't run, he stops all the time at 00:00:01
The timer works fine on my end, even after saving and loading levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dave

By any chance, was the idea from this game?
Not at all. The idea came from the DOS game with the same name created by Adam Pedersen. I used to play it a lot back in the days.

Nice :)

Level 6
This is now rated Director's Cut? That just made my month. Thank you. :)

The timer works fine on my end, even after saving and loading levels.

Not at all. The idea came from the DOS game with the same name created by Adam Pedersen. I used to play it a lot back in the days.

Nice :)

Well it is a DOS game! At first sight... I immediately knew that it was a bit inspired from Dangerous Dave. I never thought that other people actually played it. Oh... the childhood...