• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

JASS Section: Moving Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
The first problem we should address is dealing with specialty resources like rcon + our mass of collections. I know, both are purely my fault.

TriggerHappy's idea is to merge them all on to one thread.

I think we should just have a data structure subsection and a specialty subsection. This would solve all of our issues. Nobody would look in the specialty subsection unless they were looking at making a timer system or something.

Level 16
1. Is there anything that has stopped you from making a JASS submission in the past? Any reason that made you unwilling to bother to make a submission?

Back when I entered THW and started mapping I knew nothing about programming, except that I wanted to learn it. I did not consider my codes good enough to post them, as they were mostly the results of practice, so I choose to keep them for myself. Even though that's no longer the case, I still refuse to post anything, simply because ain't nobody is gonna tell me how to write my snippets. Especially not someone who's been known for writing spaghetti because it was (assumed to be) a millisecond faster.

2. How strict should the coding standards be? Should we have a strict standard, with all code looking similar in format? Or should we have a more lax one, similar to the spells section? Or something in-between (JPAG)?

Recommendations are okay and are good in general. Some restrictions too, related to the skeleton of the code (for example: options at the top, initializer at the bottom). But telling people how to name their variables/functions/fields/pets is like.... what did you smoke? I want some too!

3. How do you think the forums should be organized? There have been complaints about resources being cluttered e.g. snippets being spread across multiple threads, difficulty finding particular resources, etc. Please tell me how you would feel about the following organizations:
(A) Subforums: Snippets, Systems, Samples
This would allow you to browse systems independently from smaller snippets, which could reduce clutter. Samples would refer to resources that might not be entirely systematic, and that are mostly just demo-maps or are map-specific.

(B) Subforums: Category-based (e.g. AI, Units, Items, Strings, Effects, Execution, etc.)
This would be more similar to the old wc3jass.com organization. Keep in mind that THW has quite a few forums already, but it may help organization.

(C) Subforums: Data Structures
A minimal change. It would move all the data structures/collections to a separate area since they take up a lot of space when trying to browse through resources.

(D) No changes (current system of just one forum for all)

(E) Other (explain)

A+C. Systems (with a DS subforum), Snippets, Samples.

4. How do you feel about the reviewing process? Should we factor in subjective "usefulness"? Should we only accept one type of resource--e.g. a unit indexer, multiboard system, etc. (when they are very, very similar) or should we not use that as a factor?

Reviewing process? Did we really have one? I thought it was Nes going into every submission that he did not make and bashing the OP and telling them that its inferior to his one, until they give up. This includes the lab too, of course (you don't need to go far to find examples).

5. How do you feel about vanilla JASS resource submissions? Should they be allowed to be approved (e.g. "GUI-friendly" resources), or should those just go in the spells section?

I personally wouldn't use a vanilla JASS resource, don't want my "0 variable editor variables" ruined :p But it'd be fine, a JASS resource can be just as useful as a vJASS one.

6. Any extra features for the JASS forum/JASS-related? e.g. wurst tags (probably will be an extension of the highlight tags). I can't think of much, but I'm sure you guys are filled with ideas, and I'd love to hear them. :)

-

7. How do you feel about multiple resources in one thread, assuming that they are related? For example, similar data structures, or a projectile system with a dummy system, or a multiboard system with some extension system.

Well, I really wanted to be sarcastic here, but meh, let's be serious for once. I think things that belong together should be posted together. There's no reason to put extensions/subsystems of a system into a different thread. Or at least I don't see one.

8. How do you feel about some of the not-so-efficient vJASS features, such as interfaces, inheritance, etc.? This would also include using the regular struct allocator vs. using extends array + alloc alternative. The underlying code is not so great, but it allows cool things API-wise.

Regular struct allocator is okay. Interfaces are okay too, to a certain extent (the complaint has always been that it copies the functions, but it's perfectly fine for shorter ones, plus what if the user doesn't care?). Inheritence is meh, haven't checked how it's implemented, so IDK.

-----------------

Those are my thoughts. Feel free to agree with them or curse/negrep/incinerate me for posting it, I couldn't care less. I know that most people who I respect on this site are at their right mind and agree with me, so it's cool.

Level 31
But telling people how to name their variables/functions/fields/pets is like.... what did you smoke? I want some too!

a lot of the naming has to do with convention; however, there is naming that has to do with strictly changing the names to be more representative of what it does

if you think that I'm the only one that does it to others, you would be wrong ;P, it's done to me too. I just happen to be the most active person, so I'm usually the one that hits people for it ;).

Especially not someone who's been known for writing spaghetti because it was (assumed to be) a millisecond faster.

I don't do that anymore ; p. It also wasn't assumed to be 1 ms faster, it was 1 ms faster, lol ^)^. There are benchmarks and stuff that prove it.

Reviewing process? Did we really have one? I thought it was Nes going into every submission that he did not make and bashing the OP and telling them that its inferior to his one, until they give up. This includes the lab too, of course (you don't need to go far to find examples).

we have no active mods atm >.>. Also, your statement is false. There are plenty of counter examples.

Regular struct allocator is okay.

we have a better allocator, so I don't see why it would be permitted to use the standard one when we have a better one. I'm not talking speed, I'm also talking features :|, lol.

Ok, the biggest problem people have with the JASS section is me, so how about I stop reviewing resources and take my stuff down? Then the majority of people would be happy ;). I'll still have my stuff elsewhere, but it won't be on THW anymore. I'm frankly getting tired of this.

Level 23
we have a better allocator, so I don't see why it would be permitted to use the standard one when we have a better one. I'm not talking speed, I'm also talking features :|, lol.

we have New Table, and there still are resources that use Table

and I think you are stupid, I saw 0 people say your stuff shouldnt be approved, it just takes too much stuff(look at the reosurces) and say, how many people actually use the Stack, Static Stack and shit as opposed to stuff at page 3 like DDS by looking_for_help and DDS by cokemonkey(even yours, but I dont know where it is) and like Shield, UnitRegenrating, SpellEventEffect, those are masivelly used compared to the Lists and it hurts to look for stuff that is on 4th page especially when you dont know where it is

also you are the one splitting the community right now by dragging users elsewhere(github), which is not good because the popularity of THW is decreasing

Level 19
Disappointig move, Nestharus. Especially for someone who appears to be so clever you've successfully put yourself into a shitty situtation.

Well I guess there is no way back now, without losing all the reputation and trustworthiness you've build up over the past years.

Good luck.

Probably I'm not long enought on THW, to see what the real confilct is.

Last edited:
Level 22
@Nestharus: Can't you just leave them here? Or at least the stuff people still use, like the allocator module and CTL.

losing all the reputation and trustworthiness you've build up over the past years.
Why would he lose those? He's just moving his stuff. Right?

Well it is all deleted or graveyarded.

Ralle doesn't allow physical deletion of threads, so it's definitely still restore-able (not that nes doesn't have a copy anywhere). However I don't think it's going to hurt his "reputation" or "trust", it's just going to confuse some people about where the UnitIndexer went. I'm not gonna lie I'm extremely pleased with how the JASS section looks now, BUT I do think nes should have just listened to me and merged all his collections into one thread instead of just ditching the his resources altogether.

I'm still glad this thread was made though and I hope we can refine the JASS section to be the best it can.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I was gone for the past two days on vacation, but I am back.

The feedback so far has been really helpful. About the moderator situation (or lack thereof), it is indeed an issue. Mag was mostly the forerunner of JASS moderation, but he had (and still has) a lot of important obligations irl. It is definitely one of the things we'll improve on, so have no fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.