• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Introducing: the Mystic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
In my opinion S&S has too much of a comic style compared to the other models.
Is it possible to replace the wall texture?
Btw the voice acting is great.
I initially didn't like the wall texture either, but it's something you get used to. I tinted it darker for the second floor and I think that looks much more realistic. I kept the lower floor as is because I think it provides a neat visual effect.

I think the main problem with S&S is that they only look good when combined with the rooftops and a complete design. Standalone, the walls look cartoony and weird. But as soon as you combine them to houses, they look amazing.

Level 14
In my opinion S&S has too much of a comic style compared to the other models.
Is it possible to replace the wall texture?
Btw the voice acting is great.

S&S comes with different texture packs, some look more comicish than others.

Btw, nice to see you back. Just here for a visit or are you planning to stay for longer? ;)
Wanna try out some neat terraining duty or spell coding?

Im here now and then, but not 24/7. You know im not a very good terrainer, especially not for making nature areas, but if some smaller parts of the map need some reworking i can try. What kind of coding do you need?
I should be in #inwc.de-maps in the evening, if you wanna come by.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
You know im not a very good terrainer, especially not for making nature areas, but if some smaller parts of the map need some reworking i can try. What kind of coding do you need?
Hmm... probably too minor to make it worth the logistics...

I actually need that icecave reworked, but I guess I'll have to actually create a model for that to make it look to my liking. There's no icy walls available on hive.

Level 7
This would mean that at every level up you might actually lose hitpoints.

The stat relatives are okay to be used on combat stats like crit or evasion, as you can actually justify the slight loss of the stat on level up by just saying the enemies hit or defend better. I actually plan to add crit/evasion bonuses when fighting lower level units, so that when leveling up, you effectively feel an increase in power than a loss when you fight the same units as before.
But I can't justify that for life or mana.
Agree, decrease in HP/MP/AP/AR will be noticeable and negative. So better to modify with (Stat/[base Stat] - 1) only secondary stats. Then rebalancing current stats would be fine (but think about STR based Block power, i guess it's not too big change - use a variable instead of constant, but it will add more difference in builds and possible in talents. Same with INT based resistances.)

Idea with bonus crit/evasion/(+ i guess resistance, because spells can not be evaded) sounds interesting, but a bit controversial:
- to feel progression you need to add more stats than can be lost (i guess around 2% per level), but it will make characters godlike in lower content.
- players anyway need to play in +/- 4 lvl brackets, so progression will be slightly noticeable.
- it would be interesting to use this rules for creeps aswell, so +4 lvl mob will have +8% evasion, +8% crit chance and +8% allres. But this will worth it with 100% exp rewards for killing higher enemies, current exp/drop system will discourage it even more.

I dont think thats helping, with less exp per mob players will even more focus on pure leveling. In addition, with less exp per mob people will actually get more drops per level, so crafting gets even less interesting.

The only way i see to force players to equip their heroes at all times in the best possible way (gearing up instead of pure leveling) is to use milestones which the player has to complete in order to move on in the game. For example every 5 levels there is a boss you have to kill so you are allowed to enter the next area, and if that boss is hard enough you are forced to gear up every 5 levels. However, the whole map is based on an open world principle, i dont think its a good idea to screw this over.

However, i would love to see some higher level recipes which require rare items from lower levels, so players are forced to repeat some of the old content (which, of course, is a lot easier with stronger heroes, yet it would be nice to see people running d3 again).
Totally agree with idea of reuse rare crafts in high level recipes. However, game currently offers infrastructure for this only at high levels. I mean, if you craft a rare dagger, or pick up a skillscroll, you must carry it in backpack until 30-40 lvl to place it in a storage.

Is it possible to split one 6 slot warehouse into three 2 slot warehouses placed in villages and buyable only with gold? So you can buy a big warehouse in Mythargas for MC-s and gold, or buy smaller warehouses in villages (starting, lumber camp, new dwarven village) - price will be progressive (2k, 10k, 30k for example). This also will add optional gold sink for low levels.

I'd rather have a repeatable quest for completing content under a certain level.

Such as, Kill Gaelas Tar, repeatable 5 times, and only available to receive as a quest as long as you're under level 15. Each time completing the quest would give some experience and gold. After completing the quest for the fifth time you should be given the choice of receiving your dungeon skill drop, world skill drop, or a level 15ish green item.

Same could be done for the final boss of all of the dungeons (Kill firelord 10 times under level 40 to receive one red item of your choice? :D ). This would provide certain incentive for players to do the content to its fullest without completely feeling like they've wasted their time.
This could work as a guaranteed skill scroll reward. Something like kill X dungeon bosses to gain dungeon scroll and kill Y world bosses to gain world scroll. However don't forget that quest progression doesn't saved. So you must kill all bosses in one playsession. That's why Garg hammer quest is so hard - low drop rates & drop from bosses & everything in one session. People with unstable connection or small free time just can not do it currently.

I see possible workaround for this - add some kind of resource that spawns saved into material bag when you progress on quest, like quest items in old good WoW. So progress will be saved between playsessions, but you will loss some bag slots.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Two new pictures of the Varatraz estate WIP. The lower roof in the second picture will actually be walkable and part of a quest.

Attachments

• VaratrazEstate2.jpg
    VaratrazEstate2.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 156
  • VaratrazEstate3.jpg
    VaratrazEstate3.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 197

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Hmm Mystic advance class quest is nearing completion I can see.
I haven't even started with the interior, so not even close. ;)

And yes, upgrading certain items will be possible in the future. However, from the currently existing items, only the legendaries will be upgradable. So you will be able to use your phoenix or pirate hat again in the future. ;)

And I'm aware of the stash currently being a bit impractical. For 1.2B, I actually plan to change the way town portal scrolls work:
Instead of having actual scrolls in your inventory, town portal will be an ability in your command card, which will unlock new destinations as you travel. This will consume gold based on the destination.
So no more inventory shuffling because of town portals!

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Woooow! Ye, the old version was looking kinda too much like WC3 Blizz style. These are awesome. Maybe just release a version now where we can play polar bears fighting in a cave :D?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Damn that building looks sweet, can't wait to test it in action.
Unfortunately, it has an issue with scaling, as almost all buildings in this map have. To make it have a realistic scale, it should be at least three times as large as it is. But then the playability of the map would suffer.

Basicly, in order to achieve a realistic scale, I'd have to resize almost all units in the game to less than 60-70% of their original scale. But that would hurt gameplay a lot, so is no option.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
The scaling doesn't look too bad in my opinion. the doors on the Riversdale houses look as if a person could enter.

The interiors are way larger than the exteriors for almost any houses in the game. So yes, the scaling is unrealistic. Then again, when playing WC3 you get kind of used to it.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Oh you meant exterior building models compared to interior areas. Now I understand.

Yeah, but in Gaias it is acceptable. Like I said, the buildings look like people can actually enter them unlike standard WC3 where it looks like Godzilla standing next to the buildings. Of course it is noticeable that interiors are a bit larger but I think making the ratio fit perfectly would be a complete waste of time and effort. You have a good middle ground as it is. To me the interiors fit the exteriors well enough as you have a good idea of the size of the interior from simply inspecting the exterior.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Wow, I just noticed that the bull's eye window on the front door of farms has exactly the right size and height for his D.

EDIT: Wow, Almost forgot how much I hate making interiors. -_-

Progress is going slowly... I just always get too frustrated to continue when terraining for longer than 2 hours. I really need a dedicated terrainer for this game again.

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Some new screens! :)

The interior (that is pretty much the last thing I need for this update) is slowly taking shape... but it's so god damn frustrating to make. Sheesh.

I think the coolest part of this update is definitely the voice acting. It's so much fun to actually talk to the NPCs now that they aren't silent anymore. I hope I can extend this to all quests in the future. I'm slowly getting more and more quests acted, but the majority is still not done yet.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 267
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 233

SHBlade

Hosted Project GR
Level 14
I think the coolest part of this update is definitely the voice acting. It's so much fun to actually talk to the NPCs now that they aren't silent anymore. I hope I can extend this to all quests in the future. I'm slowly getting more and more quests acted, but the majority is still not done yet.

Another good reason to start the game again :D

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Eh... sorry guys, my apologies for postponing this update again, but the finalizing process takes a bit longer than expected and I simply won't be able to finish this today. Maybe on the weekend, maybe sunday. We'll see.

Good news is: the quest is finished and working and decently balanced already. It's just some final polishing steps that are still missing (setting up quest rewards, adding the advanced class changers and the class ability vendors, etc.). Nothing that really takes a lot of work to do.

Level 10
Eh... sorry guys, my apologies for postponing this update again, but the finalizing process takes a bit longer than expected and I simply won't be able to finish this today. Maybe on the weekend, maybe sunday. We'll see.

Good news is: the quest is finished and working and decently balanced already. It's just some final polishing steps that are still missing (setting up quest rewards, adding the advanced class changers and the class ability vendors, etc.). Nothing that really takes a lot of work to do.

please release the kraken this weekend! T>T

Status
Not open for further replies.