• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Interesting news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yum

Yum

Level 3
New Q&A with lots of map-maker goodies:

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=103825&p=1&#post103825
Summary:

-New Map Locking/Protection feature
-Hero and inventory system confirmed to be built in to the editor.
-You can now mix and match terrain tilesets much easier than you could in Wc3
-Maps are currently capped at the usual 256x256 size.
-You can adjust building 'footprints' to any shape or size.
-Editor will "support text coloring, unit coloring, player "12" (i.e. neutral player) units" (I didn't understand exactly what this meant...)

Level 13
-Hero and inventory system confirmed to be built in to the editor.
What did I say!? WHAT DID I SAY? (In a previous thread) yet everyone else said "Source! link! proof! not gonna happen!"

Level 2

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=103825&p=1&#post103825
Summary:

-New Map Locking/Protection feature

First they shall lock/protect their cds/dvds against crackers ^^. "Believing that a company which cannot protect its original cd/cd-keys or whatever against crackers/hackers can be able to lock/protect the maps" is ..too optimistic, at least not convincing for now. But we shall wait and see.

-Maps are currently capped at the usual 256x256 size.

I wonder if the map-linking thing they have tried with TFT Orc Campaign (Durotar) will work or not. I believe they tried to imitate the map creation system of Diablo2. But it didn't work. If they can introduce "Randomly Generated Monsters/Creeps, Cliffs, Water, etc.", it will be great, especially for multiplayer (I try to imagine how DotA-clones will be like). Then never the same map will be the same gaming experience. Sounds amazing,but,I am not optimistic.

Yum

Yum

Level 3
The map-linking you speak of was really only intended for single player, where it does work.

Level 14
these are really good news. This allows to remake old SC maps with really new features.

This maplinking you speak of was only intended to be used in campaigns, and therefor only in singleplayer. However i really hope such a feature will be included in SC2, as it will allow us to create cooperative campaigns in SC2 or lets us play the singleplayer campaign in multiplayer.

Level 26
What did I say!? WHAT DID I SAY? (In a previous thread) yet everyone else said "Source! link! proof! not gonna happen!"
"This man is not guilty!"
"Where's your proof?"
"I have none!"
5 years later, man proven to be not guilty.
"What did I tell you?"
"You didn't even have any proof, you idiotic piece of shit."

Add that with the fact that this was most certainly the most probable scenario, and you have yourself either an "educated guesser", or the type of guy that tries hard to make himself look like a murderer just so he can boast when it is proven he isn't.

Level 13
"This man is not guilty!"
"Where's your proof?"
"I have none!"
5 years later, man proven to be not guilty.
"What did I tell you?"
"You didn't even have any proof, you idiotic piece of shit."

Add that with the fact that this was most certainly the most probable scenario, and you have yourself either an "educated guesser", or the type of guy that tries hard to make himself look like a murderer just so he can boast when it is proven he isn't.
But I was still right and you can't change that.

Level 26
But I was still right and you can't change that.
I can be right about telling people you have alien fungi growing in your rectum, and the comment still would be worth shit if I didn't have proof. Your arguments are fucking pathetic.

On another topic, I'm sure everyone's happy that there's a built in hero and inventory system for the editor.

Level 13
I can be right about telling people you have alien fungi growing in your rectum, and the comment still would be worth shit if I didn't have proof. Your arguments are fucking pathetic.

On another topic, I'm sure everyone's happy that there's a built in hero and inventory system for the editor.
Meh sore loser, making personal insults on forums.

Level 13
Anger and fury are powerfull forces no true member of any forum should not be without.

Besides, MSBB's arguement here makes sense and im inclined to agree.

Level 13
Hmm anyways in other news there are some new screenshots, don't know if these have been already posted:

These 2 feature the zerg, the only new/old unit (old in SC 1, new model in SC 2) is the Overlord:
http://www.sc2blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/screenshot023.jpg
http://www.sc2blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/tvz-char-massnumbers03.jpg

Then there is a simple Terran vs Terran:
http://www.sc2blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/screenshot002.jpg

This is a whole lot older but it features the Firebat. They are still testing the
firebat if they can make it unique enough, but if they can't it will be removed. Don't worry the reapers ain't in danger:
http://www.sc2blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/protoss-terran.jpg

Level 13
Lol i love the green explosions, goopy and goey and gross like the zerg should be. Also, god bless the man who pimped mah Overlord, the mutalisk doesnt look that bad either.

On the terran vs terran, cool that confirmed my suspicions: SC2 will have a slightly Wc3 zoom.

On the firebat: cool, but the model could use work IMHO, and what the hell is that thing to the right of the marines (directly above the bunker) ?

Level 13
Oh, fuck me...THE THOR IS LARGER THAN THE BARRACKS.
Yep, I kinda like that. And also I think they did some improvements to the model :D.

But anyways what do you guys think, should the Firebat stay in the current build (along side Reaper) or should they remove it? I think the Firebat is acceptable right now and the Terran are lacking a melee unit right now.

Level 13
Firebat fills a niche as a zerg pwner, but i really do hope it turns out to be usefull vs the other sides too. I also really hope it doesnt suck like it did in SC 1.

All in all, i cant really determine if it should be axed, since i dont know its stats and how it fairs in combat, there is no real way of knowing untill the demo.

Level 13
Firebat fills a niche as a zerg pwner, but i really do hope it turns out to be usefull vs the other sides too. I also really hope it doesnt suck like it did in SC 1.

All in all, i cant really determine if it should be axed, since i dont know its stats and how it fairs in combat, there is no real way of knowing untill the demo.
Well people only knew the looks of the Soul Hunter and that it was supposed to be "anti-organic" and it had special lasers, yet it still got axed since people thought the model was ugly :p.

The only thing protecting the Firebat right now are SC 1 fanboys who hate all the changes, and people who just liked the Firebat unit.

Level 9
The only issue i have with SC and WC is all the user-directed options. For instance, it would be so much easier if you spawned workers and they immediately went to the nearest random resouce, instead of using a rally point.
Then you can control an army, and of course there's auto-cast, but it's not like a human controller. And what i mean is, the most you could do is frustratingly pick 12 units at a time and tell them to follow one guy, and that's how you control many units at once. And then, when in battle, you have to worry about a bunch of idiotic userless units killing themselves.

Watch Blizzard com up with a solution - a button for fleeing after they get to a certain amount of hitpoints. But GAAAAA, another friggin thing you'll have to press to setup your army, for one map, to make them better AI. Now, unless it's by the Minimap, it may be LESS painful. However, you'll be in abttle and they'll flee but you want them to stay and fight so you select them and in the meantime your hero who you're not paying attention dies, and with him and non-fleeing units you could have taken over an area in the first place!

Damn.. Blizzard should just make the unit selection bigger, up to 48 units.

Level 21
I find the 12 unit limit quite handy in melee to be honest. I'd rather have 3 groups macro'ed and easily know that group 2 is linked to my shamans than to have 1 group where I have to tab through the units until I have my shamans selected, just to be able to cast purge. It's simply faster than having 1 group containing your whole army...

Level 13
I find the 12 unit limit quite handy in melee to be honest. I'd rather have 3 groups macro'ed and easily know that group 2 is linked to my shamans than to have 1 group where I have to tab through the units until I have my shamans selected, just to be able to cast purge. It's simply faster than having 1 group containing your whole army...
No one is preventing you from doing that again. . . It's just that now you can put ALL your Marins into one "group" and use all their stimpacks, and things like that.

Generally to make it more beginner friendly, and also UMS which have huge ass armies.

Level 13
I hated the 12 unit limit in custom maps, made macroing a bitch to do with large armies of 34 units and up.

I think blizzards on the right track with this, i just hope it doesnt make zerg rushing or blitzkreig tactics more prevalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.