• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Imports don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
K, so my imports aren't working :( They are all custom models and custom skins for the models. I have the models paths set to Units\ and skins set to Textures\ is this right? Why wouldn't they be working? It's recognizing my abe hat, my reskinned peasant and my icons... Someone really should make a good detailed tutorial about this as I often find this the longest and hardest part of map making XD

Level 45
umm..models dont need paths..

just convert the model to mdl, open the mdl with notepad and change the path for the skin to something like:

gun.blp
or
skaven.blp

just to what ever the name of the texture is.

i find it pointless to add directories to custom skins paths with models.

and if you don't know what im talking about..just tell me, since im only going on thinking you already know how to change paths and mdl edit.

Level 7
> Can I just set the path as
The texture path must be the same as the directory structure of the zip you got it from.
So lets say we have an archive test.zip with this stuff in it.
somemodel.mdx
somemodel_portrait.mdx
Textures\someskin.blp
Textures\otherskin.blp
Units\blahblah\anotherskin.blp
You would import somemodel.mdx and somemodel_portrait.mdx with any path, as long as they both have it the same. If the model came with only one mdx then you don't have to worry about this.
As for the textures...you would import the first as Textures\someskin.blp, the second as Textures\otherskin.blp and the third as Units\blahblah\anotherskin.blp.
So once again: their paths should match the zip file's directory structure...keep that in mind.
And to convert mdx -> mdl you need yobgul's file convertor, get it from wc3sear.ch or wc3campaigns.net.

Level 45
you use the paths you have set.

okay, since you don't know about mdl, i shalt tell ye'.

Dl Yobguls converter(buggy program)
http://wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Tools&ID=3&sid=946690532405ddc8ee58404f6012f2a8
or this:
http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=84979

convert your mdx to mdl with either one of the programs.

Now, open the mdl in notepad and find something like this (this is in the header, so this text should be near the top":

JASS:
Textures 3 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\Peasant.blp",
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "",
		ReplaceableId 1,
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\gutz.blp",
	}

and if its a defualt export then it should be something like this:

JASS:
}
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\white.blp",
	}
}

now, change the "Textures\white.blp" to what your skins name is, like this:

JASS:
}
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "Gun.blp",
	}
}

You dont have to have "Textures/" thats mainly if your using wc3 built in textures.

So now you must click save and then convert the mdl model back to mdx with either one of the programs i suggested.

Now, make sure your blp. file is called Gun.blp and import the blp file and change its path to:
Gun.blp

Now, import your model and dont change its path.

and if that doesnt work, then i seriously suggest you read some mdl tuts(at wc3c) on finalizing a model with mdl data.
---------
and yes, i have serious issues with making understandable steps or tutorial-like posts so please ask on any part if you dont understand.
---------

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.