• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Importing Campaign Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Is it just me, or does importing files through the campaign files import thing not work? I tried importing this model and skin: WhiteMorpho with the same path in both the campaign and map importer and only the map one worked.
I also tried importing this icon: BTNANAShiningButterfly in the campaign importer and the DISBTN wouldn't work like it should despite me setting the path correctly.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
If it is in the campaign imported, you need to start the campaign. Simply testing the map from the editor does not load files, that are attached to the campaign archive.
It is highly recommended to use the campaign import though, to only import every file once. Otherwise the file is imported for every map it is needed and your campaign size will be huge.

To speed up your workflow of testing, you can temporarily add the files to the map or not use the files add all and replace them with standard warcraft 3 models, that somewhat fit. That can be very confusing though.

Level 10
I'm not sure what's causing your issue, unfortunately, but here are some best practices I've learned from working on campaigns over the years. It's possible one of these might help:
  • Whenever possible, import files through the campaign editor module and not the individual map.
  • Whenever possible, also do all object editor work in the campaign editor rather than the object editor for the individual map.
  • If you do ever import anything to the map rather than the campaign, be careful to avoid reusing the same filenames or paths as something in the campaign import, as this can cause some problems.
  • Deleting imported files from the map can do weird things if the same filename or path is used for something in the campaign import (or vice versa).
  • Likewise, deleting abilities or units from the map object editor can do weird things if the same unit ID or ability ID is being used on the campaign side (or vice versa).
  • It's always good to save the campaign file as soon as you import a file, before you hook it up to anything. (The editor can have trouble display the file sometimes otherwise.)
  • Always launch the campaign in War3 for testing; never use the Test Map function from the editor.
That takes care of general stuff. If none of that helps, some more specifics about where you're trying to use the different icons might help narrow down the problem. I'd also be willing to take a look at your campaign file if you'd like to upload it to this thread.

Level 3
I'm just using the icon as you'd normally use the icon, I think, I have the normal BTN for a spell and the DISBTN is supposed to replace it whenever the game is paused.

Level 11
I would also recommand not to import files in the map individually, especially if you need your models in more than one map. Whenever you import a file in your campaign, like Jake said, always save immediatly before using your model or anything else. Sometimes, in addition, you might need to close WE and launch it again.

This said, I also have troubles with the DISBTN of an icon (this icon), perhaps we have a similar issue. I set this icon as a hero ability, and when I'm in the research menu (the one where you spend your hero's xp points), the icon stays green, even though I imported both BTN et DISBTN icons like I usually do. Do you encounter the same kind of problem with your icon? If so, we might get an answer to both our issues, hopefully. :)
I don't think it's related to the import manager though. Maybe an issue with the icon itself?

Level 3
I know to keep all the import files in the campaign menu, I was planning on doing that the entire time.
And no, that's not what my problem with the icon is, you probably just forgot to set an icon for the research of the spell.

Level 11
Na, I did it already. The icon stays green. :(
Nevermind, this is your thread, let's focus on your issue and not mine :D

What happens to your icon? You said it doesn't work correctly. Is it when you pause the game? Do you get a green icon, or something else?

Level 11
I don't think there's anything wrong with the campaign editor, since it usually works fine with icons or models. However, I just tried something with my broken icon: I modified it (with the ButtonManager utility - very handy btw, here is were to find it, just in case) and reimported it, and now it works just fine. I guess you might get the same result if you do the same thing.
I read in another topic that this problem could be caused by a missing alpha channel in your icon.

Another thing I'm thinking of: is your icon a passive ability? If so, you should use DISPAS instead of DIS in your icon name.

Level 10
I fixed it! I had previously used map imports and so all of my stuff was pointing to war3mapImported instead of war3campImported!

Wow, good catch. I'll have to know to look out for that.

On the other hand, that's a good reason to get rid of the war3mapimported part of the path and use more full paths anyway. You know:

Normal:
  • ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNANA_ShiningButterfly.BLP
  • ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNANA_ShiningButterfly.BLP
Passive:
  • ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\PASANA_ShiningButterfly.BLP
  • ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISPASANA_ShiningButterfly.BLP
Upgrade:
  • ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\UPGUPGANA_ShiningButterfly.BLP
Attack Type:
  • ReplaceableTextures\ATTANA_ShiningButterfly.BLP

Status
Not open for further replies.