• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Icons in game messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey Hive Users,

I am, it's been a while, again in need of your help!
The map I am working on at the moment has different enemies, that get adressed in hint messages before they spawn, so that the players get an idea what they are facing. Kind of like the tutorial messages in the campaigns where they tell you what a footman is.

Making this messages is no problem at all, but I was wondering if you could add the icons of those units above these messages or in front of them, to make it more obvious what the message is about. I don't want the icons to appear on the map or be stretched over the screen. Just as normal sized icons in front of the hint messages.
My question is: Is that possible? And if yes: how?

Thanks for taking your time of reading this, and possibly helping me! Looking forward to your answers.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
You could use something similar to DGUI (which is outdated and does not work anymore)
There is a UI system which could allow spawning of UI components, I am not certain if this works on any camera angle however.
And even if it does, you need to adjust it next to the message so you need to keep track on which row the message is on..

Overall way too complicated to be worth the time.

Level 13
If these enemy units are unique, (like, boss monsters or something in a wave)
might I suggest adding a dummy skill that gives those units a buff with a tooltip?
I've got dummy aura abilities on bosses in one of my maps that simply give information about what that unit does.

Status
Not open for further replies.