• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can replayers see Game Messages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi, I have a question, I notice when I replay my map I can not see game messages in the replay, these are important for telling people whats going on in the game.

I am currently using "Game - Display to Player Group - Player 10 (Light Blue) the text: TEST ..."

And:

"Game - Display to (All players controlled by a User player) the text: TEST..."

Is there any way I can get my messages to appear to all players including even ones watching the replay?

I just tested it and both functions work fine.

"Game - Display to Player Group - Player 10 (Light Blue) the text: TEST ..."

Will only display if you are viewing from the perspective of Player 10 (Light Blue) before the text is displayed.

Should display even when you are in replay mode.

So maybe it is some other issue? Try it out in a blank map, it should display even in the replay.

P.S. (All players controlled by User player) creates a new force, so you might want to assign it to a variable on map initialization and use it throughout, or create it and destroy it everytime you use it. Better yet, just use (All players). The only reason to check if they are controlled by a user is if you don't want to show it to creeps/rescuable or w/e (which doesn't matter, since they are computers after all).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64

Should display even when you are in replay mode.

P.S. (All players controlled by User player) creates a new force, so you might want to assign it to a variable on map initialization and use it throughout, or create it and destroy it everytime you use it. Better yet, just use (All players). The only reason to check if they are controlled by a user is if you don't want to show it to creeps/rescuable or w/e (which doesn't matter, since they are computers after all).
I would be a lot more concerned about this breaking the determinism of the game and causing the replay to go out of synchronization. If the engine was truly deterministic the content of the force would be identical when replayed as it was when originally played (all natives should ignore the existence of being replayed). If it is not identical then this is a form of asynchronous execution that violates determinism and so can cause an out of synchronization error.

Status
Not open for further replies.