• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How do I clear game messages from the game Log (F12) by trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So basically in one of my maps I rely on an "archive" system where bits of lore are displayed on the screen as game messages when you use a certain ability.
I noticed that every game message ever used gets stored in the game log indefinitely.

Is there a way to add something to the trigger so the game message will not be put in the game log, or not put more than once, or to clear the entire game log?

Alternatively, would there be some other way to get the same effect?

I was considering floating texts, but game messages were just so convenient for what I'm doing...

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
You can create your own custom UI. Here's some info regarding text frames:

This tool will do all of the hard work for you:

Level 19
There's no way to directly clear the F12 log.
However it has a limited history, so you can flood it with empty lines. I don't recommend this because these are all saved by the game in memory, for the current session and for the save game.
Another way is to modify the current UI, or you could draw your own text messages(?)
A third way is to send chat text messages, they will not enter the log but don't look as pretty: BlzDisplayChatMessage

Level 13
Update, for anyone who might be interested:

While I keep in mind the advice, my personal work-around is to work with floating texts after all, though that might only work because I set my "virtual archive" as an extra area on my map with Alpha tile, putting the floating text beneath the unit (at -50).

Expedition Archive Preview 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.