• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] I want to mod again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I haven't been i touch with Warcraft modding after I switched to Mac but I'll be getting a new Windows laptop soon so I can finally return to modding as a hobby again. But before I do, can anyone update me on what changed?

I see the Hive recommending Sharpcraft now. What happened to JNGP and JNGP 2.0? Should I be switching to Sharpcraft and its add-ons?

Thanks!

Level 22
I heard a problem occured on JNGP after an update (I forgot which version), that made it requires a fix. At the same time, Sharpcraft was released around the time and compatible with the new version.

and yey, sniper_zero is back in action. Welcome back to modding. ~

Level 13
JNGP developers are inactive for years, and most of its features do not work on patch 1.27+ anymore. Also, Blizzard has changed a lot of files (War3.mpq, War3x.mpq, etc), and where Warcraft 3 stores its files (maps, screenshots) since patch 1.28. So, if you attempt to run NewGen on a 1.28 war3 version, the RoC world editor will load instead.

Level 3
So it's the newer patches that are a problem. Hmm...I still have a copy of my patch 1.26 Warcraft stored in my hard drive so I'm thinking of sticking with that until the newer tools and patches become more stable. But how is 1.26 on Windows 10?

@Rheiko Haha...I wouldn't say I'm back to modding just yet. I still don't have anything to run Warcraft. I actually had quite a bit of work done before on The Scourge and Blood Elves but my pc crashed and I lost my notes and maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.