• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Getting back to W3 modding in 2021, what should I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello,
After taking a long break in using WE, I want to come back to creating maps. What are the currently most recommended tools/patch versions to use? I remember that I used Sharpcraft World Editor with 1.29 patch when I left, and 1.24(?) + JNGP before that.
I'm mostly GUI user interesed in custom/non-melee maps. I also remember that I used above mentioned editors to have no limits enabled.
Side question: is developing for reforged any good, or is it still rather dead?
I will be also thankful for any new common knowlage info from last 1-2 years that I should know.

I'm sorry if this is not the correct forum, but I couldn't find one that would fit my question 100%

Level 21
Unpopular opinion:
Mod with the most up to date default editor.
Depending on your genre focus, SD graphics would be adviced for large battles, HD works well for RPGs and similar.

Level 11
I also support the default editor. You can select SD or HD graphics in the map settings, but I definitely prefer the SD graphics and just set that as the only option on my maps.

Blizzard also added a number of new tools to Triggers. You can do things like set most attributes of units in game (damage, max HP, etc), set the tooltip of an ability, and more things like that. It makes it easy to do things like "when a unit begins casting shockwave, set the damage of shockwave for that unit to 10 * Strength"

Status
Not open for further replies.