• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I believe that I'm done with wc3 dev : P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
SC2? what better game to mod? SC2's most annoying missing things in triggers are:

- Not being able to choose Random N units from Units Group (like Units of Type)
- Random Unit from Unit of type (quite useful as there is no other way to define a specific unit on the map if the only one to do some action without having to use Pick Every .. if Unit type == ...) - since items are units in sc2 you cant even use like War3 item of type..
- Pick every unit in units of type - that's right you cant do that, you have to pick all units in Region matching... and If Then Else action choose Unit type = ... can't directly
- I miss the If Then Else Do 1 action, I hate the expanded view actions, it makes it look like 1 big mess

Meh I used these triggers so much (especially random unit from units of type) and it allowed better transfer over maps as you dont use predefined units on the map.
- Order unit to use specific inventory item targeting point/unit/no target

And creating a library out of it, that could exist both in GUI and script, when imported, some appear as new actions on the longlist of triggers, as if you use WE Unlimited. Such libraries have been done by members at Mapster, I've not seen the Unit of Type ones.

Ranked Gaming Client. (If you like DotA)

Garena has a lot of good players too, but I agree with Eimtr about the fact that the players aren't that 'intelligent' ;/
Garena has hundreds of thousands of players actually :3

Warcraft III isn't dead, there will always be players.

Yea.. just went online and there were like 10 games up that were all virtually empty ^)^. I think the game is officially dead at this point : p. There is no sense in modding for a game that has no players ;D.

Anyways, time to search for another game to mod for ^_^.

LIAR! You just don't want to update your AuraStruct and BigInt libraries ^.^

Level 31
LIAR! You just don't want to update your AuraStruct and BigInt libraries ^.^

no, I'm going to get all of my current resources working before I'm done. I'm not that much of a jerk ; P.

SC2? what better game to mod?

Well, Dawn of Fantasy uses Lua for scripting, which allows the use of pointers, something SC2 lacks. Furthermore, Lua has no op limit. Next, the map file size can be infinite in Dawn of Fantasy. Furthermore, the actual map size can be whatever. I tried making a 48000x48000 map and it worked. Next, you can link maps together (have multiple maps). However, it lacks a community : P.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm not much into programming, but it's a pity that Blizzard doesn't allow you to have limitless modding options such as those you describe. The 256x256 map limit was a really large disappointment, I can say. Something as basic as 4vs4 melee maps would be so much more interesting if the maps were as thrilling as 1vs1 scenarios; only there's no room to make it happen.

Level 7
Wc3 isn't completely dead. Just at certain times theres less and less players. There really just needs to be more interesting games rather than the crap that is overhosted on wc3 then there will at least be more development. There is still a large amount of people that play CHF and a large amount of people are now playing that "horde vs alliance" map.

Nestharus why mod from a game? I think someone of your level could possibly create your own game completely through using programs like unity or using many other development resources here:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/112020-Game-Design-Development-Resources

Also I don't really see why "stopping development" in wc3 has to be done really. Since you can re-use a lot of the scripts you make in any language as long as you change them to match new syntax.

Last edited:
Level 7
My friend Maddeem said he knew someone who worked for a company doing some art work- modeling mostly i think. I think in general you can find people you just gotta look around a bit.

Quick google search:
http://www.moddb.com/engines/torque-3d/news/crimson-crows-art-assets-released
http://www.garagegames.com/community/forums/viewthread/127214

Also on a side note i think wc3 modding is more active than ever. It's just that the player base is more often editing/modding than actually playing games now. (Most people are just sick of the same old junk : /)

I've also considered this. But I think if I were to do that I'd do both-- still routinely wc3 edit and also develop a game. Wc3 is still a good "test subject" for certain ideas.

Maps like wc3 Paranoia may get people to re-install their wc3's though for instance. The general trend of change that wc3 needs to see is not 3 host bots all hosting the same crap.

Level 31
Also on a side note i think wc3 modding is more active than ever. It's just that the player base is more often editing/modding than actually playing games now. (Most people are just sick of the same old junk : /)

I will agree with you that the modding side of wc3 is more active than ever ^)^, but the player side is pretty dead in the water ;D.

If everyone in a game is a modder, then there are no players to play those dev'd games =P.

Level 7
If everyone in a game is a modder, then there are no players to play those dev'd games =P.
Yes but it could change if just a few good maps come out. The general problem is the hostbots always hosting crap really, I mean there are some good maps out there that could see some hosting.

Also there is still a very active TKOK community I think that host and play games together all the time.
Theres also threads like these:http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/warcraft-discussion-99/public-arranged-games-202133/

Level 14
The fate of Warcraft III lies in our hands. We can either mod more and keep it alive, or kill it NAOW.

The question is: do you need to keep it alive?

Since, Might and Magic has been on my mind alot today, I'll use that as an example. When the New World Computing company dissolved, Ubisoft bought the rights to Might and Magic. However, when asked about the Might and Magic RPG games, they openly said that they would never do another Might and Magic RPG.

They publicly executed the previous Might and Magic. With the release of Heroes of Might and Magic V, they entirely erased 20 years of Might and Magic, or 13 + games. Everything that happened before that, never existed. All Sci-Fi elements, obliterated.

Thats why projects like Might and Magic Tribute (9 Years) and Might and Magic X (4 years) are so important, and why they are still going. Its because the fans chose to mod and keep the original lore alive.

Im sure that modding sites like the Hive could do the same with Warcraft III. But is there a real reason behind doing so? Blizzard hasn't said anything like "There will never be another Warcraft RTS." Why not just take Starcraft II for a ride now. You can explore into the depths of that, even begin converting it to a fantasy base. Then when Warcraft IV rolls around, you can switch to that, no harm done.

~Asomath

Level 7
Why not just take Starcraft II for a ride now.

Cause sc2 is debatably harder than wc3 for most people to mod with. And the improvements for switching might just be literally a harder editor to deal with. More object editor than trigger editor stuff really.

As far as maps with "might and magic" types of maps wc3 is still a better substitute at least until sc2 releases their new sc2 DOTA resources. There has not been a whole lot of newly released models for sc2 that are nearly as much as wc3 because they take more time.

Then when Warcraft IV rolls around, you can switch to that, no harm done.
Also when you switch to sc2 the player base is somewhat killed a bit since it has higher required specs to run compared to wc3. Many people who own wc3 simply cannot play sc2 because of the more computer specs required unless they get a new computer or upgrade their previous one.

Level 14
Admittedly, if you solely want to mod fanasy, then the appealing nature of Warcraft III is apparent.

But once resources DO start making their way up, SCII will yield alot better results. After all, Warcraft III LoTR maps were a lot more fun than their SC II counterparts... especially when we got Nazgul, Fellowship Heroes, and Soldier models.

~Asomath

Level 51
OMG... Can't you please stop with these threads: "UHH JEAH WC3 IS DEAD; BYEBYE I'M LEAVING, THIS MAKES NO SENSE ANYMORE, UH JEAH I'M COOL HAHAHA".
Wtf. Jeah, go if you want to. No one will stop you. There were thousands of threads where again thousands of people declared wc3 as dead. But there will always be people like us that will play and mod it. So please, for GODS SAKE, STOP MAKING THESE THREADS.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Consider it as a «What will I do after Warcraft III?» thread.
Also, to reply to earlier posts in page 1, if you don't care, then you have no reason to post here. So don't.

@Asomath, like I said, StarCraft II is considerably harder and yet still limited compared to making a mod in the game Nestharus mentioned or just your own, and, yes, finding artists is also a problem, because the really good ones are working for companies -- if you look at our model section, you find that most models are using parts of other models; truly original animations are even more incredibly rare.

Level 24
After I stop "modding" Warcraft 3 (I think that's a pretty dumb word since what most of us actually do is maps, and not mods), I'll probably quit modding altogether. Warcraft 3 has a certain beauty I've not yet seen in any other game I've played, and the community (while retarded and annoyoing as fuck at times) is probably one of the best I've seen as well.

However, I don't think Warcraft III is dead by any definition and won't be anytime soon either.

Level 14
@Rui Woops, I totally missed him talking about modding that other game. Yes, as you said, more limited, but as he said, it has little to no community. Maybe its better to work around limits with a team than to make a game and have no one to share it with...?

No Warcraft III is not "dead," it's just decaying a bit. There's a certain number of modders, and now an additional Blizzard game to go to. So there is going to be some sharing. WCIII modding isn't going to die... it's just not at the Pinnacle anymore.

Level 17
It's about time you stopped modding a game with either a dead or unintelligent gaming community.
Starcraft is probably your best option for a new game.

Level 22
^
There are a few decent players, but the rest are total shitheads lurking in DotA rooms.

Yeah i know there are some decent ones, or rather - were, that's where I used to hang out when at war3 1.5 years ago. Funny how many in the past were talking how bnet is better and now I see all point to Garena. It's the best place for War3 now (and SC1), but let's get it straight - the reason for so many ppl is because the majority have never bought war3 (and yes I have original war3+tft since 2004).

Level 14
No Warcraft III is not "dead," it's just decaying a bit. There's a certain number of modders, and now an additional Blizzard game to go to. So there is going to be some sharing. WCIII modding isn't going to die... it's just not at the Pinnacle anymore.

Truth be told, although Wc3 is not at the pinnacle anymore, probably Wc3 still has a larger audience than other games, so I guess it's still worth modding for Wc3. And the fact that every modding aspect is reasonably easier to accomplish (modeling, skinning, triggering, etc) than perhaps, although it's a ten year old game with an even older graphic engine, it's life will be prolonged through the "easy-to-be-modded" aspect.
I'm guessing Wc3 has the potential of a game which will be a stepping stone for most artists before advancing to something more complicated.

However, I myself tried to find games for TKOK for days and I couldn't find anyone to play with. Azeroth Wars incredibly slower than it used to, and I haven't found any new maps (started in 2010) which were very well done and very detailed. Admitedly I haven't searched over Bnet for about four months now.

Yet still, I don't think there is any point to leave the Wc3 modding scene for another game unless it's for Sims3 or Starcraft2. Otherwise not sure there are that many games with large modding communities.

Level 22
Yeah but lots of the channels are like:

evidencem.png

US rooms even on bnet are the funniest because they get trolled more easily. And of course this is mostly the non-melee rooms that I never visited (this ss is from google) even when I used Garena. Full of tards

no they're not! Garena has a lot of bad players! they are brutish, wild, and exceedingly annoying with their trash talks and middle fingers. and I'm one of them!

I didn't mean 'good' as in 'good-sport' :D
I only use the Europe rooms (US rooms are too old-school)

Nowadays, there are only noobs and pros ;/
The pros got too strong making the average players look like noobs.
A newcomer to DotA wouldn't be welcomed by a decent community, he would be flamed with comments like:
Stop DotA
You're a FAILURE at life
Delete Warcraft 3
Do they even have internet were you come from?
HAHAHAHAHHA noob.
Leave please :)
Stupid 12 year old kids
Stupid 15 year old kids
Are you retarded?
Your points on RGC are so low. LEAVER! LEAVER!
etc..

Do you have any idea how many times they told me to leave DotA because I'm a 'sandnigger'? ;/
Whenever I pick Goblin Techies, there's always 'that dude' that says "Obvious Terrorist is Obvious" and shit like that.

That's what I hate about Warcraft III nowadays.

I'm never going to quit though :>

Reactions: HFR
Nowadays, there are only noobs and pros ;/
The pros got too strong making the average players look like noobs.
I am not a noob or a pro, I am more of an inbetweener as I am always the one just below the pro/s(as I don't play games as often as others).
Also sometimes in the Oceania RPG Rooms there could be good activity going on and sometimes you can get flamed. All in good fun even though there is only ever one room full.

Last edited:
Level 22
I didn't mean 'good' as in 'good-sport' :D
Do you have any idea how many times they told me to leave DotA because I'm a 'sandnigger'? ;/
Whenever I pick Goblin Techies, there's always 'that dude' that says "Obvious Terrorist is Obvious" and shit like that.

I know, Sotis in SC2 is the same cause when the map is type Dota, I no longer play the former, since long ago. But I have to accept all 'noob' calling although im pretty good team player in Dota, just that imba hero abusers nuke me 1st.. often when im supporter hero

And in sotis 1 stun and all ff you, no escape. But yeah I dont mind being called noob there cause there are good players there, same as should any of them come to ladder. ON WAIT i wont match them if they came to ladder cause they are too low hahahah

Level 11
I can't in good faith recommend SC2 to anyone here. As someone who has developed for both, I can say WC3 was far more fun and rewarding. There is no mention in this thread about the main problem with SC2. That being, the popularity system. If you're expecting a game lobby system like WC3 where any map has at least a chance, you are in for a nasty surprise.

PS: I made it to the top of the popularity list and stayed there for months. I still hate the system.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I can't in good faith recommend SC2 to anyone here. As someone who has developed for both, I can say WC3 was far more fun and rewarding. There is no mention in this thread about the main problem with SC2. That being, the popularity system. If you're expecting a game lobby system like WC3 where any map has at least a chance, you are in for a nasty surprise.
This is also not helped by Blizzard's lack of response to actually fixing the problem by giving us a simple yet perfect feature like "View maps with active lobbies".

Level 3
SC2 in my option isn't even close to what Wc3 is, the problem with Wc3 is that the Custom game list appearance is based on Refresh which can be reverse engineered and people can create tools for this & etc. I'm not getting SC2 anyway, might get it when i get my new generation intel processor in april :S

Status
Not open for further replies.