• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I made a game editor that supports 50+ concurrent players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys,

I've been making wc3 custom maps since 2008. I eventually quit, due to the following reasons:
- There is no easy way to monetize wc3 custom games
- It only supports up to 12 players
- wc3 players can play your game

This is why I made modd.io, where you can make multiplayer games without having to worry about network programming or server hosting.
Some of its features are:

• Visual drop & drag scripting (No programming required).

• Your game will support up to 50 concurrent players. No network programming required. We host & scale your servers for free.

• Once your game is published, it'll be exposed to our existing 250,000 monthly users.

• No download or monthly payment required. Games are made in browser from scratch.

• you can start monetizing your games in minutes using ads or in-app purchases.

• All games are made using HTML5, and it can be played in all modern browsers.

Here are some of the games that have been made using my engine:
braains.io (dev time: 10 days)
escap.io (dev time: 2 days)
clansmen.io (dev time: 3 days)

Millions of players have already played my games, and I'm sure developers from this community can make better games than I can.

I'd love to listen to you guys' feedback about this project, and lmk if you have any questions!

Thank you

m0dE

Last edited:
Level 29
- mod wc3
- complain wc3 players can play your map
- ???

Irony aside, this is a neat project.

Some things I noticed very fast:
1) You need client prediction. When you test your games I am assuming you have near 0 ping, but for me it's very janky and laggy.
2) The trigger editor is TINY. At least on Firefox. It allows up to 7 lines of text to be shown, and considering your GUI-like-JSON has lots of new lines, it's not very easy to use. That being said, it's not clear to me from a quick glance if this is just a preview, or how the actual editor looks when you edit a game.
3) The trigger editor also needs prediction. In fact, it's not clear to me why it's being synced in the first place. You'll generally have a "save", "build", "publish", or whatever option. Maybe an autosave every X seconds. But why sync every input in a local editor?
4) Ads. You are offering in-game currency, but also force ads by trying to block people using ad blockers. Choose one or the other. Greed isn't a good sign.
5) The physics are somewhat broken, allowing you sometimes to get stuck with near 0 speed also without colliding with anything. Not sure if it's actually the physics, or the networking.

On a side note, wc3 supports 24 players nowadays. :p

Last edited:
Level 2
- mod wc3
- complain wc3 players can play your map
- ???

Irony aside, this is a neat project.

Some things I noticed very fast:
1) You need client prediction. When you test your games I am assuming you have near 0 ping, but for me it's very janky and laggy.
2) The trigger editor is TINY. At least on Firefox. It allows up to 7 lines of text to be shown, and considering your GUI-like-JSON has lots of new lines, it's not very easy to use. That being said, it's not clear to me from a quick glance if this is just a preview, or how the actual editor looks when you edit a game.
3) The trigger editor also needs prediction. In fact, it's not clear to me why it's being synced in the first place. You'll generally have a "save", "build", "publish", or whatever option.
4) Ads. You are offering in-game currency, but also force ads by trying to block people using ad blockers. Choose one or the other. Greed isn't a good sign.
5) The physics are somewhat broken, allowing you sometimes to get stuck with near 0 speed also without colliding with anything. Not sure if it's actually the physics, or the networking.

Definitely some valid points here. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Here's my response to your observations:
1) We're at a verge of introducing client prediction using extrapolation. You'll see some improvement soon.
2) I agree that the editor can look tiny. We're looking into ways to improve this.
4) Ads and in-app monetization are out of necessity, but not out of greed. Running 100 server instances cost a lot of money (we are providing free game server hosting), and our ad & IAP revenue is very small.
5) In which game did you experience this? Our physics should work fine.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.